Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Re: Mat's BX Blog

Post by mat_fenwick »

Paint was still a bit soft yesterday, so sealed the seam today although BX having to take second place behind house chores.

Starting to think the end is in sight though!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Nice work again mate =D>
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Cheers :)

No progress on the red BX, but fixed the driver's mirror on the white one, and had a look underneath it. All looking good so far! The leak from the rear height corrector is so small as to be (IMO) insignificant, but seeing as I have a rebuild kit I'll strip it down anyway.

Yesterday we set out to climb Moel Hebog (~800 metres) which has excellent views of Snowdon one side, and the sea the other. Unfortunately, we got to within 200 m of the summit and had to turn back - it was very icy and not everybody in the group had crampons. The views were still good though.

Probably a wise decision not to continue, as we later learned that someone had fell to their death on Snowdon the previous day :(

Today was back on the house, replacing some rotten window frames with bricks.

They let in in very little light anyway, and are just for a downstairs toilet and untility room, so it made sense just to get rid of them - especially given the price of a made to measure window!

Also managed to do some work on the van this evening - it's not often that the weather is dry enough to weld outside so I have to make the most of it even though it is absolutely (literally!) freezing out there.

Still needs a skim of filler before a top coat, but solid at least now!

Plus lots of little patches like this one - quite satisfying to do as each one only took half an hour or so to do.

I'll probably get away without filler on this one, as it will be hidden behind the bumper anyway.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Nice neat job! =D>
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

Warms my heart to see an LT getting some love, they're a much maligned brick.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

They're ace. Not only can you describe it as a mid engined, turbocharged, 6 cylinder, two seater; but you can lift up the flap in the cab and cook your dinner on the header tank as you're driving along! (Many) more photos here if you want to see more of the party bus...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Glad to see the Maglite takes pride of place Mat. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

That's got a massive amount of interior space! I'm guessing it didn't start out as a camper.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Bought it as a bare panel van...one of my many projects - almost finished now after 7 years :oops:

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I took the height corrector off the white BX today in preparation for replacing the seals - pleasantly surprised both how easily it came off and at the condition of the boot floor and rear crossmember. Even the exhaust hanger has never been welded, and is still attached! Bad news is it needs 4 new tyres, but the fact it has Michellins all round suggests it was well cared for.

'Interesting' wiring for the towing electrics - if I leave the towbar on I'll have to sort that.

A slight weep is visible, but nothing to worry about IMO - I've been given advisories for bigger leaks than this!

Off in my greasy (and by this point frozen!) little mitts!

Will hopefully strip it this week, but a warm bed is now calling me...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Looks to be solid old bus that Mat! Im sure when you come to part with it people will be happy to buy it!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Focus problems today - coming back home from a session climbing when the charge warning light came on. 30 seconds later the radio cut out, followed by the instruments and shortly after that the engine! Fortunately we'd just turned onto our track at this point, so I'm off to drag it out of the way now.

It's obviously electrical, but don't think it's a simple charging failure as it started fine 10 minutes previously. I can't see how the battery could be drained to that extent so quickly. Battery is a couple of months old, and the belt is only about 3 weeks old.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Odd failure. Wonder if the battery's neg earth is failing? Or if a terminal has come loose...
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

mat_fenwick wrote:Focus problems today - coming back home from a session climbing when the charge warning light came on. 30 seconds later the radio cut out, followed by the instruments and shortly after that the engine! Fortunately we'd just turned onto our track at this point, so I'm off to drag it out of the way now.

It's obviously electrical, but don't think it's a simple charging failure as it started fine 10 minutes previously. I can't see how the battery could be drained to that extent so quickly. Battery is a couple of months old, and the belt is only about 3 weeks old.
Matt, This all sounds so familiar (Well to me) :-k

That's how my Focus initially started to behave (100% all working okay then just dying out on me) :evil:
However by switching the ignition/switch into the off position and then turning straight back on the engine/red charging light and immobiliser extinguished as normal (99% of the times) !

However one occasion I got home okay with no 'Hiccup's' but the following morning the Red immobiliser light (Just above the LCD clock) never extinguished (Which it normally should) just before the engine start position on the ignition key :?

So after few long weeks of (On/off) checking through various electrical circuits and even checking the cam-belt (To see if that had failed) as it seemed and sounded like it might have as it also gave signals like there was a lack of fuel to the pump (By a faulty fuel pump shut of solenoid or faulty electrical connection) due lack of pressure @ the injectors scratch...

I therefore suggest that you crack open one or two of fuel feed pipes (Just enough to release the diesel/pressure) on the injector end you will initially get a good 'Blow off' fuel pressure as they will be the residue of pressure from the pump (So watch your eyes and where some safety goggles) if you then check the pressure/flow by cranking the engine over and your only getting a dribble (in comparison to a good purge of Diesel/pressure when you initially cracked open the injector feed pipes) I'd say it's the dreaded 'Bosch VP44 EDC pump Mosfet/transistor failure' which is part of the electronic control circuit which opens and shuts the fuel pump solenoid :cry:

So after the /\ checks prove to be similar/conclusive enough ( [-o< it's NOT) !

You may need to open up the 'Bookmarked' posting of my FCF post I sent you a while ago via PM (Knowing you'd purchased a 1.8TDDI Focus) !

But in-case you can't find it or for the other members who maybe interested, here's the LINK !

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get back with your finding's.

:)

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks Richard, but after a busy evening (with several different vehicles!) I think it must be charging related with the Focus. The battery was well and truly flat at just under 12 V I should have mentioned that the engine wouldn't crank), but managed to jump start it OK. Terminal voltage remained the same with engine running as off; revving it made no difference. So likely the alternator, although I'm reading there is a common issue with wires corroding/breaking about 12" from the alternator.

I hope so, as after taxing it only a few hours previously (I had hoped to be back in the BX by now) I'm not sure I can afford a new alternator :( To change it/investigate further I need to raise the front end a little; problem is the white BX is up on my ramps at the moment with the rear height corrector missing! I've stripped that down to find a small crack in one of the diaphragms, so a fairly easy fix. I've yet to reassemble it, as I then went under the red BX to investigate what I thought was a height corrector leak from that too!

It wasn't, but one of the front to rear pipes is leaking before it enters the HC. Strangely, it's weeping slightly as if the pipe is porous rather than spurting out. It's a patch of corrosion where something has rubbed away the coating which has started it - I'm lucky it didn't fail out on the road but annoyed I didn't spot the problem sooner.

I'm hoping to splice a new length in although I've never done that before. Anyone know what I need to do it? I'm assuming a flaring tool, a length of pipe and a couple of joiners?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad