St Tropez restoration blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Re: St Tropez restoration blog

Post by Dollywobbler »

Crikey. That really is pretty rusty! Love that people are now prepared to spend what must be a fair ol' penny on restoring BXs now.
vulgalour
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour »

I think it's just that nothing measures up, with the only things coming close being more expensive things from the Citroen stable. I've tried to find anything even remotely as interesting and competent as a BX and there just isn't anything out there. Now if only the engine bay was as nice and open as an Austin engine bay I think we'd have the perfect car.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Try a turbo. Mike (citsncycles) and Ian (DW) were turning the air blue trying to get the LHM tank out of mine for cleaning. I reckon Citroen just hurled everything into the engine bay, shut the bonnet and jumped up and down on it a few times ...

EDIT, oops, St Tropez blog, not Stripey blog, going cross-eyed. =D> on the restoration :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Actually, with a Lucas set-up, reservoir access is far easier...
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Caffiend wrote:Try a turbo. Mike (citsncycles) and Ian (DW) were turning the air blue trying to get the LHM tank out of mine for cleaning. I reckon Citroen just hurled everything into the engine bay, shut the bonnet and jumped up and down on it a few times ...

EDIT, oops, St Tropez blog, not Stripey blog, going cross-eyed. =D> on the restoration :)

If you're struggling with 'crammed engine bay sadness' pity the poor SM owner (as he sips from a well chosen bottle of Chateau Margot in the cool of the Dordogne evening; enjoying a well deserved break from his hectic [though remunerative] employment as a hedge fund manager).
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks Des, I will do that, im sure I can pick through what yove already put.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

vulgalour wrote: Now if only the engine bay was as nice and open as an Austin engine bay I think we'd have the perfect car.
Funny you should say that! My local garage, who continue to be bemused by my Citroen madness, freely admit that the engine bay of the 14 is remarkably easy to work in, especially when compared to modern cars. Having seen a few pics of the engine bays of more upmarket BX models, the TU engine does seem slightly diminutive. Perhaps it'll look a bit more manly when Rob finds a replacement for the missing winter air intake that's supposed to hoover warm air off the exhaust.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Des Smith wrote:
vulgalour wrote: Now if only the engine bay was as nice and open as an Austin engine bay I think we'd have the perfect car.
Funny you should say that! My local garage, who continue to be bemused by my Citroen madness, freely admit that the engine bay of the 14 is remarkably easy to work in, especially when compared to modern cars. Having seen a few pics of the engine bays of more upmarket BX models, the TU engine does seem slightly diminutive. Perhaps it'll look a bit more manly when Rob finds a replacement for the missing winter air intake that's supposed to hoover warm air off the exhaust.
I remember my TGE having quite the accessible engine, almost as good as my MK2 Astra 1.4, which had a wider, but not as deep engine bay. Compared to the GT, and even worse, the TXD turbo these two were a doddle! I pity 16v owners, they've got an extra cam to get in the way of everything, must be worse than the TD.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Changing the hydraulic pump belt was a bit of a ball ache.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

mds141 wrote:Changing the hydraulic pump belt was a bit of a ball ache.
On the 14 TU? I remember it being not too bad, did the alternator belt too though, both belts share a pulley at some point so do have to be very tight and you have to take the alternator belt off first before you do the HP. Was that the ball ache Mark?
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

My BX's bottom now has some new tinware! =D>

From earlier this week, when huge chunks of the boot were missing and everyone thought she was a cabriolet conversion gone wrong, or possibly going for a second career as an undersea viewing platform, I am pleased to report that Ian has welded in the boot corners and primed everything, so there is a splurge of battleship grey on her nether regions. It all looks a lot less like a rusty old tramp steamer and a lot more dignified to boot.

(Pun not intended, but I'll leave it in anyway) :rofl:

NS boot corner welded and primed

Interior OS boot corner welded and primed

Exterior of boot OS corner

Some dignity has been restored!
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I have a work meeting in Luton next Tuesday so will swing by Rob's and see if I can have a peek at this in the metal - looking good!
1992 Hurricane
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

saintjamesy89 wrote:
mds141 wrote:Changing the hydraulic pump belt was a bit of a ball ache.
On the 14 TU? I remember it being not too bad, did the alternator belt too though, both belts share a pulley at some point so do have to be very tight and you have to take the alternator belt off first before you do the HP. Was that the ball ache Mark?
On the valver Tom. The pump isn't on an adjustable mechanism, you have to tension it via a jockey wheel. Not a lot of room and it helps if your three handed!!
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Caffiend wrote:I have a work meeting in Luton next Tuesday so will swing by Rob's and see if I can have a peek at this in the metal - looking good!
I can't imagine any other garage that would be happy for people to swing by and ogle, but somehow I imagine Rob is quite at home working 'in public'. It might all be going on at the front by the time you see it. There's some dodgy old welding that's in line for a makeover as well as some suspicious crustiness behind the VIN plate. If you leave your donation in the coin tray next to the 20 cents left over from the last wine run, I might have enough to pay for a plastic nut for my new number plate. No? Well, you have to try!
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I might have a few cents kicking round from the France trip last year, I'm sure they sell plastic nuts on leboncoin ...
1992 Hurricane