My Citroen bx tzd

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
James BX17 tzd

My Citroen bx tzd

Post by James BX17 tzd »

Hi all, great club you have! :)

My very first car (back in 1997) was a 1989 red citroen BX 14 tge and having owned it for about two years i had to sell her! I remembered it very well to this date. Ive always had a soft spot for citroen's especially the bx and the time eventually arrived earlier this year to buy another! This time a turbo diesel tzd, i bought her blind off ebay in feb (as a sorn) but soon after i lost my job :roll: Due to finances i was close to selling her but managed to keep hold. Now back in work this last week :D i finally got round putting it through the MOT.... was quite nervous as it had been off the road for over 8 years. Anyway cutting a long story short, to my amazement it PASSED!! (WITHOUT ANY ADVISORIES)!! :shock: :shock:

When i first bought her the first thing i did was clean and polish it, it was filthy to high heavens! :evil: Having done some research (mainly from this very club) i inspected the rust-prone areas. All seems solid ie: inner wings,boot floor,doors,windscreen and underneath. However, there's some rust on the sills, although not excessive. Having driving her for the first time it started (with a replacement battery from my local scrappy) and it rose to it's norm driving height without any issues! The STOP light was on and noticed it was a little low on lhm? I decided to adjust the the height up and down thinking it may help it for some reason? (i'm no mechanic ha) then my neighbor came out for a nosey, whilst showing him the suspension, the bx decided to be sick!! a pipe had come loose and the green stuff went everywhere :oops: :oops: !!! Luckily after it stopped i managed to repair the rubber pipe that came loose, topped it up with a litre of lhm and all was fine.....phew, the STOP light went off :) Next step was to steam clean the engine which came up a treat. The brakes seemed fine but the steering was a little stiff at first but became lighter after use? The only thing im curious about is that the previous owner must of been some kind of amateur auto electrician as there are some DIY jobs done on the dash??? :? As you will see in my photos, i don't know what they are or do?? :? The red light on the right flickers when i press the brake? the other two have done nothing yet, maybe something to do with overheating,radiator?? not had chance to trace the wiring. If anyone could shed some light on the matter? please do. [-o<

The history of the bx... it came from a family in leeds, having 4 in-family member owners. The last family owner (the father) sadly passed away hence the reason for sale. I found a temporary eu export certificate in the bx, from 1991. So it had spent 6 months or so in switzerland, probably with a caravan due to having a tow bar/electrics? and explains the reason for the windscreen stickers and headlight beam benders? I removed the headlamp covers that came with the bx as preferred them off. It has door handle protectors too which i quite like. Sadly the bx came with no service history at all, one key and as just turned over 110K miles today. The fuel gauge doesnt work but the diesel light does...sender??

The bx engine seems very punchy, still had old diesel in her which i ran dry then put around half a tank in along with some injector cleaner, thinking this may be of some benefit to it? The oil is black so it obviously needs a service, oil and coolant change. Just havnt had the time and money to sort these areas out but will do in due course :D

I hope i hav'nt drained you all by waffling on? and would like to thank you for reading my first post. I have attached some pics of my pride and joy. Just need to work out what the hell those lights are for ha?

I would highly appreciate any advice you can give on it's faults etc, thanks.

Regards James.
James BX17 tzd

Re: My Citroen bx tzd

Post by James BX17 tzd »

Please bear with me regarding pics, just need to work out how to post them. :oops: :)
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Hello, welcome - can't see the pics unfortunately - you do need to host 'em off forum on photobucket or similar - read the first few posts here for destructions.

Sounds like you got a nice one there, =D> on the MOT pass. If it's been stood that long would recommend cam belt change ASAP. Can't help on the electrics I'm afraid, someone else with more know-how will doubtless be along soon ...
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
James BX17 tzd

Post by James BX17 tzd »

Thanks Caffiend :oops:

Got there!

:? :? :? The mystery lights?? :?

Also forgot to mention, whilst cleaning and polishing the bx i noticed it's had a replacement bonnet and bumper (both replacements were originally/are red) so obviously has had a bump in the past :( Shame it didn't have a better spray job for me not to notice. Also correct me if i'm wrong?? the front bumper would of originally had fog lights with being a TZD? Doesnt really bother me as it still is a BX!! haha, James.

Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Looks very nice - great find and obviously bags of elbow grease, so well done. Don't forget to lower the suspension before you take photos though... apparently everyone does it!
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome James! She looks lovely in black, you're quite right you should have fog lamps.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

that's giving me the horn! Lovely car!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Hello and welcome :) car looks great in black! The odd lights in the dash could be to do with the towing electrics ?
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Des Smith wrote:Looks very nice - great find and obviously bags of elbow grease, so well done. Don't forget to lower the suspension before you take photos though... apparently everyone does it!
I don't . . . terrible habit :oops:

Welcome James - looks absolutely lovely. =D>
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

very nice example i remember this one being on ebay but was too far away for me , much nicer than my tzd always thought the black ones looks best, the mystery lights may well be an indicator that your cooling fan is running and poss a secondary temp warning lamp, as many bx owners have fitted. just trace any wiring back from the lamps and that should give u the answer, only 110k should just be nicely run in at that, my tzd is on 268k and still sweet but the body is full of pending rust issues,
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Very smart looking BX :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I also vote for at least one of those lights being for the towing electrics. Much better to have a light rather than one of those sodding buzzers.

Looks really nice. Non-original wheeltrims, but they work I reckon.
James BX17 tzd

Post by James BX17 tzd »

Thanks guys :D

Will try and locate where those wires lead to. Also forgot to mention another cockpit button/switch :lol: This yellow ones pulls/clicks out/in??? when the bx is in idle say in traffic and i pull out the switch the engine seems to drop ever so little in revs as if it operates something electrical? so god knows what this one does?? First i thought it could be an engine start switch - but it is'nt :?

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

If the revs drop, it's probably an electric fan switch - you might want to bear that in mind if you get stuck in traffic.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote: Looks really nice. Non-original wheeltrims, but they work I reckon.

Off a mk1 Xantia. Look nice!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....