Which BX?

Anything about BXs
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Which BX?

Post by Pogo »

I have a couple of grand to spend on the right car, what would be the best model to go for?
Initially I was thinking Turbo diesel (TZD hopefully), but what economy do the petrols give in comparison?

Would it be worth getting a 1.4 or are they gutless?

Finally, what electrics are worth having and what are more trouble than there worth?

Many thanks in advance
1990 Black BX GTI
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Which BX?

Post by Tim Leech »

Electrics arent that bad from an old french car, petrol and diesel both have there merits, the 1.4 is surprisngly nippy but too short geared for motorway journeys really.

The diesel are more frugal and ultimatly long lived, but are a bit slow in non turbo form and of course noisy and harsh in comparison but very smooth for a diesel engine of that era.

What I would say is that the numbers of cars are dwindling fast so you cant be too picky, I would buy on condition and history/mileage instead of just a specific model.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Pogo wrote:I have a couple of grand to spend on the right car, what would be the best model to go for?
Initially I was thinking Turbo diesel (TZD hopefully),

Any BX you want with that budget, but there is nothing wrong with your initial thinking! :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

I have an excellent BX16TGS Estate in white which ime considering selling. Mileage 51k, sailed through last 2 mots with no advisories. 2 owners before me. Bought it off a 90 year old gent who kept it in a heated garage. Tim has seen it so will confirm its condition. I want £1500 for it. Built June 1990.

Andy
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

:D Cool pogo would have 500 quid left for a set of 17 inch alloys, tinted rear glass and some neons
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

As people have mentioned above, condition is probably more important than a particular model unless you're patient, but with that budget you should be able to get a good un.

What sort of use do you want to give it?

The Diesels are good motors for lots of miles, although the NA models are more cruisers really - they'll get up to a good speed, but just take a while to do it. I've not had a TD, but gather they require a particular driving style due to the typical early TD turbo lag.

As mentioned above the 14's are good motors but not really suited to motorways - they'll cruise all day at 70ish, but will be surprisingly thirsty (low 30's mpg) while they do it. if you want one for local running round on A and B roads though they're ideal, with fuel consumption more like 40mpg, cheap tax and because of the small engine, easy to work on too.

I've not had a 16 or 19 petrol, but performance is again good for the engine size, and if you aren't planning on covering huge mileages they can work out very good value for money.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

There are probably 3 distinct categories that seem to have a certain following or preference:
Mk 1 or Mk 2
Estate or Hatch
Petrol or Diesel

Obviously there are choices therein. People above have made good observations, particularly your intended use and your fuel preference. £2k will get you a very nice example - possibly too good for every day use if you are inclined to keep things low mileage and original etc.

I'll point out this car on here being sold by an honest gent (well, I'll apply the term gent loosely! :lol: ).

Personally, it would be a TD, although a lovely early 1.9D n/a would do you proud if you're in no great need of the extra oomph provided by the turbo.

edit: :oops: Sorry, not trying to divert attention from the White Estate!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Another big factor to consider might be the ride - sportier* BX = firmer suspension - you don't get the "float" in the performance* models that you do in the more sedate petrol or diesel versions.

*It's all relative.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Caffiend wrote:Another big factor to consider might be the ride - sportier* BX = firmer suspension - you don't get the "float" in the performance* models that you do in the more sedate petrol or diesel versions.

*It's all relative.
Unless you mess around with different pressure spheres, like I did yesterday. The 16 valve now sports turbo diesel front spheres, at 500 cm3/55 bar and Xantia rears at 500 cm3/ 50 bar. So far I like the results. Still supple, but not too floaty.

As for which BX to get. Tough one. Personally I'd go for a gti 8v auto. Whichever model you end up with, I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely.

Good luck and happy hunting. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Pogo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Pogo »

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't mention that I had definitely decided on a hatch rather than an estate, because I just prefer the look.
(Sorry, the white estate does look great).
There is a 1.4 for sale i've seen that looks perfect condition wise, but I'm not sure weather I want the extra ooooooomph.
I'm assuming the economy of a turbo diesel will be pretty good compared with the 1.4.
Decisions, decisions.
The grey Athena 1.6 would also interest me. :roll:
1990 Black BX GTI
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Mickey taker wrote::D Cool pogo would have 500 quid left for a set of 17 inch alloys, tinted rear glass and some neons
Save yourself 500 quid Mick and just buy it without the silly xtras!! :D

I know you want it!!

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

1.4 petrols are more basic than other models, no power steering, rev counter or sunroof normally. If your going to use it as a daily driver I would maybe stick to a TD, but if you dount do that many miles the 1.9 Petrols are torquey and fun to drive but thirsty in auto form.

I think the general advice is buy on condition.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I know I want it Andy, its just my way of persuading myself not to buy it ( rather than just accepting I cant afford it )
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Any diesel BX will be more economic than a 14, but the TD's in particular fetch a premium - not necessarily above your budget (yet) but you will save more on initial purchase price with a 14 or 19D.

As Tim says, 14 models are generally more basic - about the highest spec 14 you'll find will be the TGE, with electric front windows, central locking, and if you're really lucky the optional (for that model) sunroof. Some don't even have those toys! Earlier 14's have a different engine and gearbox, which while on paper has the same output of the later ones is apparently much less refined. No PAS on a 14 isn't really an issue as the engine is so light, but if you're used to PAS you may want to consider carefully before buying one of the other models without it.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I echo what Mike says, the lack of power steering is (in my opinion) a big turn off, its just something we expect these days......