Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Des Smith
1K Away

Re: Mat's BX Blog

Post by Des Smith »

Dollywobbler wrote:It was a very small caravan!
What, like this one?

Anyway, Ian, here's your reward...

BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Feck me first caravanners now scots what next gypsys
For your information I am a caravanner who is part Scottish,part gypsy,part Jewish and thats just on dads side lol
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Paul296 wrote: Everyone pays road tax
Not for caravans! Even lorries pay extra for clogging up the transport arteries of the country (we live on an island right, how hard can it be to send stuff AROUND!).
with that entitlement comes the responsibility to drive safely.
How many caravan hauling idiots have ever done any form of training to gain a license to do something that is far more involved than driving a car?

I'd suspect less than 1%. Another way to put it how many caravanners where born after 1979? Oh yeah, practically none! It's a shame when they changed the law in 1997, that they didn't revoke everyone's entitlement to tow from those who hadn't earned it. There has been more than one occasion where i've had to take over from a caravanner that had got there van hideously stuck because they didn't have a clue.

Think towing on a motorway is easy? Wrong. And once you get it wrong, you only get it back with well practiced skill (or blind luck in my case).

There are very clear laws about obstructing a public highway, rarely do i see a caravan touting muppet move out of the way of the epic tail back they've created. Interestingly its something that wouldn't be tolerated in the USA, but then trucks aren't speed limited there.

And yes i am rather bias, I've had to LEARN how to tow, and take lessons, and spend a small fortune to get extra licensing!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Caravanning should be illegal on Bank Holidays :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Vanny wrote:
Paul296 wrote: Everyone pays road tax
Not for caravans! Even lorries pay extra for clogging up the transport arteries of the country (we live on an island right, how hard can it be to send stuff AROUND!).
with that entitlement comes the responsibility to drive safely.
How many caravan hauling idiots have ever done any form of training to gain a license to do something that is far more involved than driving a car?

I'd suspect less than 1%. Another way to put it how many caravanners where born after 1979? Oh yeah, practically none! It's a shame when they changed the law in 1997, that they didn't revoke everyone's entitlement to tow from those who hadn't earned it. There has been more than one occasion where i've had to take over from a caravanner that had got there van hideously stuck because they didn't have a clue.

Think towing on a motorway is easy? Wrong. And once you get it wrong, you only get it back with well practiced skill (or blind luck in my case).

There are very clear laws about obstructing a public highway, rarely do i see a caravan touting muppet move out of the way of the epic tail back they've created. Interestingly its something that wouldn't be tolerated in the USA, but then trucks aren't speed limited there.

And yes i am rather bias, I've had to LEARN how to tow, and take lessons, and spend a small fortune to get extra licensing!
Paul296 wrote: Saying all caravanners/caravans are dangerous is like saying all Scotsman are tight wads. It may well be that lots of them are, while many (quite rightly) would be offended at the very suggestion.
I'm quite sure you're right that many caravanner's are an absolute menace; like many lorry drivers, motorcyclists and general motorists. My point was that one cannot make blanket condemnations about all members of a particular motoring community because some - maybe a sizable proportion - are a menace. If it should so happen that there had only ever been one safe and conscientious caravanner - and I'm sure there are many - such an accusation would still be unfair.

If the issue is that people are allowed to tow without due training and experience then perhaps the department of transport needs to review current legislation?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I have not 'blanketed' all caravanners ;)

Infact i know a lot of there type, there are an alarming number in the office and at least one of them know what they are doing!

The VSA (as it is them that deal with vehicle standards, not the DOT) already have reviewed the situation, as stated, but where not allowed to rescind existing un tested provisions given to 'the old folk'.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

37 years driving and 20 plus years towing experience, a properly and regularly serviced tow car and van. Correctly loaded and not overloaded van,
Decent anti sway bar ,in date tyres (more than most bx drivers can say lol) decent towing mirrors and a bit of common sense and patience plus the ability to reverse the unit ,
yup think thats most things covered.
Oh sorry forgot the ability to deal with impatient cocks who cant keep to speed limits, overtake dangerously and then cut back in so quickly they nearly take your front end off.
I think the experience of towing a caravan is quite akin to driving an hgv on British A roads
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Mickey taker wrote:Oh sorry forgot the ability to deal with impatient cocks who cant keep to speed limits, overtake dangerously and then cut back in so quickly they nearly take your front end off.

That'll be me in my TXD, i'm going slow enough with 71bhp, i don't need a fat caravan holding me up as well, i've got places to be :wink: :lol:

Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Vanny wrote:I have not 'blanketed' all caravanners ;)

Infact i know a lot of there type, there are an alarming number in the office and at least one of them know what they are doing!

The VSA (as it is them that deal with vehicle standards, not the DOT) already have reviewed the situation, as stated, but where not allowed to rescind existing un tested provisions given to 'the old folk'.
Not in so many words no, but 'caravan touting muppet'? Forgive me if read a tacit assumption that simply isn't there, but I - sort of - felt there was some justification on my part? :D

Whoever the legislating body is for what caravans and caravanner's can and cannot do on our roads there must be some authority that can change the legislation if needs be. It seems to me that currently some change may be required.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

But why, if anything all drivers must learn to be more tolerant of other rosd users,
Many trucks are physically limited to 56mph which makes them more of a problem than those towing caravans.
Why pick on caravaners ? They are no worse than any other type of trailer be it a horse box, boat or someone pulling a car on a trailer.
One of my biggest grievences are pedal cyclists who weve all over the place going up hills or ride two abreast they are far more dangerous in my eyes
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Mickey taker wrote:37 years driving and 20 plus years towing experience, a properly and regularly serviced tow car and van. Correctly loaded and not overloaded van,
Decent anti sway bar ,in date tyres (more than most bx drivers can say lol) decent towing mirrors and a bit of common sense and patience plus the ability to reverse the unit ,
yup think thats most things covered.
Oh sorry forgot the ability to deal with impatient cocks who cant keep to speed limits, overtake dangerously and then cut back in so quickly they nearly take your front end off.
I think the experience of towing a caravan is quite akin to driving an hgv on British A roads
..that_
Towing a caravan is exactly like driving a HGV Mickey. More difficult in some respects. It's a lot easier to reverse a 40 ft trl than a caravan. :shock:

As you've stated - serviced outfit with good tyres and driven to the speed limit for towing (60 mph ) and prevailing weather conditions and there shouldn't be a problem. Caravanners rule O.K. :D 8)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Nah, ban em, thats what i say, i'm writing to my local MP.

Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

:D Matthew, get him to ban those stupid super charged mini coopers while your at it,
Not even a proper mini.

Can someone remind me who Mat is ?, this appears yo be hid blog lol
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Mickey taker wrote::D Matthew, get him to ban those stupid super charged mini coopers while your at it,
Not even a proper mini.
Thank god, the originals were slow & didn't have a/c :lol:

I love that car, it always brings a smile when i'm driving & my right foot :o Shame it loves petrol :( Its one of the few modern cars that i always wanted to have, & then when i drove all the various models, the last one was the Cooper S & i just knew it was the best of the lot by miles, the noise, acceleration, handling, funky interior, there was no other car that interested me in the slightest. It will be sad seeing it sold later on this year, but i've enjoyed it, not too many cars i can honestly say i'll miss, the new owner will be one lucky person.

Sorry for the Blog thread hijack Mat #-o

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Mickey taker wrote:But why, if anything all drivers must learn to be more tolerant of other rosd users,
Many trucks are physically limited to 56mph which makes them more of a problem than those towing caravans.
Why pick on caravaners ? They are no worse than any other type of trailer be it a horse box, boat or someone pulling a car on a trailer.
One of my biggest grievences are pedal cyclists who weve all over the place going up hills or ride two abreast they are far more dangerous in my eyes
Quite. I've driven with trailers, caravans and also driven 7.5 tonners - all with no additional training I point out. Driving with any of those is a massively eye-opening experience. The way other cars treat you is almost criminal. Like being in the 2CV to be honest. A lot of car drivers to cling to this belief that they have some god-given right to a clear road. Then expect to go to a large shop and buy absolutely everything they need to maintain this consumerist ideal. All stuff that arrived there in a lorry.

Trucks aren't just limited to 56mph on motorways, but should do no more than 40mph on single-carriageway roads. When you live in Wales, where most roads are single-carriageway, it can make progress exceedingly frustrating. Options? Sit back and chill out as overtaking opportunities are few and far between. Doing this once enabled me to improve the 2CV's fuel consumption from 45 to 54!