Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Re: Mat's BX Blog

Post by Mickey taker »

Of course, being a volvo driver I do expect a clear road ahead lol,
It used to makr me laugh when I had the trajet , everyone trys to pull out in front of people carriers thinking they are slow underpowered diesels,
First (safe ) opportunity I used to love eatching their faces as the old 2.7 v6 came on chat and I sailed past them
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

[quote="Mickey taker"]Of course, being a volvo driver I do expect a clear road ahead lol,

Reminds me of the Hedgehog/Volvo driver joke Mick!!

Andy
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Des Smith wrote:Quick Mat, it's time we got back on thread - give us an update on your campervan before the lynch mob arrives!
OK then, if you insist! On my way to the Wetherby meet (which I'll take about later) yesterday, I collected some new cushions for the van (very rock n' roll!). Making full use of the BX's loadspace, but unfortunately that meant I had to put up a tent on arrival.

The quality is absolutely first class, and the little details are spot on too - this notch was to clear part of the van metalwork...

...like so:

The box around the toilet is pretty much done too, although the play in the hinge means the front panel has dropped slightly from when I marked the hinge position. Not sure there's much I can do about that, but as I was thinking of some edge trim around the top it won't be visible.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I wouldn't bother with a hinge Mat, just leave the big seat in the 'up' position. :D
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'm busy catching up on posts, and after reading this lot as a cyclist, motorcyclist-in-training, car, 4x4, campervan and caravan owner, I'm stuffed!

As a kid, I did the cycling proficiency test in school, something that I believe has since been discontinued, which probably has something to with the attitude of cyclists.

My first motor was a Bedford CF van - in fact after passing my test I drove nothing but vans for 8 years, some of which were LHD. This is something I'd recommend all drivers try, as the limited vision does wonders for your forward planning on the road.

Although I received no formal training, before I towed anything my Dad (a class 1 HGV driver with 40 years experience) taught me how to tow, including reversing.

While I wouldn't say I've never broken a speed limit, I've found that a lot of the people who get upset about the speed I'm driving are wanting to break the speed limit. On the other hand I've found that by driving a slow vehicle considerately drivers of faster vehicles are generally more patient.

I agree that drivers should pass a test before towing. The same should also go for motorway and night driving.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

For some reason, this reminds me of the final scene in 'The Italian Job' (the original one with the slow unreliable British Minis). It must be the angle and the rugged Welsh landscape through the back window, but I'm expecting the gold to slide inexorably towards the back door and Michael Caine to say...

PS - the cushions look great Mat. You must be well pleased!
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

citsncycles wrote:This is something I'd recommend all drivers try, as the limited vision does wonders for your forward planning on the road.
I do quite a lot of this these days, and i must admit, the first time, it was quite an eye opener. 3 litre v6 gives plenty of get up and go, but when you're sat on the wrong side in a very low car, that might not actually accelerate, you really do have to think about it!

I consider driving a skill to be developed and grow proficiency in. It's rather a shame that the governing bodies don't.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Des Smith wrote:the original one with the slow unreliable British Minis
Got to disagree with this Des, yes they needed a bit of regular maintenance but slow and unreliable! never!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Defender110 wrote:Got to disagree with this Des, yes they needed a bit of regular maintenance but slow and unreliable! never!
We are on the same side, Kevan - it's just my twisted sense of humour. I really haven't got a lot of time for the BMW minis - skewed proportions and all that teutonic functionality has completely overlooked the essence of the car that Issigonis designed. The fact that they used the Mini for 'The Italian Job' spoke volumes for the image and reputation of the car at the time, and I for one will always have a soft spot for them. Having said all that, these days I'd rather look at them than drive long distances in one.
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Hardly a "mini" any more , they should have called them maxis
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Nah, I recon the're bigger than a Maxi, plus the Maxi was a more practical, and for the time more advanced vehicle than a modern Mini.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hmmm, wonder if I should point Lana in the direction of this thread! She's pretty keen on hers, and I have to (grudgingly) admit it's good fun to drive. When she was test driving them though, it was interesting that the build quality seemed to vary dramatically, even between ones of similar age and mileage. Still, it's served her well and the only thing it's needed apart from service items in the last 25k miles has been a couple of exhaust mounts and a brake pad sensor.

Back to Citroens...I've got a Berlingo van in for rear axle replacement and some other MOT work at the moment - it seems to have seized solid! It's a 53 plate but has only done 19k miles from new, as it was previously used as a site vehicle for Portmeirion village. The owner seems happy enough that I'll not be able to get it done before I go away, so at least there's no pressure on me. Would be nice to get the white BX out of the way first (and pay for the cushions!)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

mat_fenwick wrote:When she was test driving them though, it was interesting that the build quality seemed to vary dramatically, even between ones of similar age and mileage.
I'd never have thought it possible that BMW could be accused of producing a 'Friday afternoon' car. Well, well, they're not infallible after all!
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

No, and whilst hers feels pretty well put together (one of the best we looked at) it doesn't have quite the premium feel I'd want/expect if I bought one new, although still far better (if that's how you define better) than a BX say.

I forgot to mention the reason for leaving Wetherby early was so that we could go to a dog show on the Sunday. After the rain of the previous day it was a pleasant surprise to have hot sun in Wales! First day of the year for just a T shirt...I tried to soak up some rays but I was then used as a pillow.

A pretty good result though, better than my BX would have achieved in a show! Plus there was someone who would sketch a cartoon of your dog for £3 - I wish I had that kind of skill.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If you've ever driven a modern Mini, then you'll know what i'm on about ;) I do like the originals, they only share the name, but both have whats called the fun factor when driving them. Build quality is fine, not upto 3 series quality, its miles better than a BX tbh. I must admit to finding the views about the BMW Mini's quite interesting, quite a few people seem to actually have a hatred (probably never driven one either?) which is quite an emotive thing to have about a car, all a bit strange imho, but each to their own i guess. I plan on buying another, but it will be tax bustingly low & a diesel, viva la mini, erm ;) :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.