D reg. 16TRS auto - needs to find a home . . . quick.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mds141
Over 2k

Re: D reg. 16TRS auto - needs to find a home . . . quick.

Post by mds141 »

No one as of yet, that I know of Andy. If no interest then Paul and myself are hatching a plan to rescue it from the jaws of doom.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Bugger, i would have it if it wasnt so far away. Good luck with it guys!!

Andy
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Max has expressed an interest in it as well. Who takes it on is immaterial really, so long as it is given a fighting chance of survival, that's the main thing.
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

im supised the man from yorkshire hasn't jumped in yet
PAUL JACKSON
1991 h reg 1.7tzd hatch in black 159.000 miles had
1992 k reg 1.7 txd hatch in red 179. 000 miles had
Renaul laguna exspessin 02 plate 1.8 16v 75 k had
cosa 1.2 brezze 150 k had
406 glx 1.9 td 170k s reg white got
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

This sounds like the complete opposite to a TZD Estate. As such a completely different driving experience. That is what I want to try. The TZD might be great for eating miles but its not the most interesting thing to drive locally. I do not want to tread on anyones toes but I could take this car on. I have a budget to invest on another car. The worst is I find I hate it and pass it on in a better condition than it arrived having paid to gain experience. Clearly there is existing interest and I am unknown, as it were, so I will leave the idea with you guys.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

So long as we're not all so busy saying "No, after you" that nobody buys it!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Im sure you are most welcome to it, Paul and Mark were only agreeing to take it on so it didnt get scrapped but neither have space or funds for an extra car...the 1.6 petrol is neither fast nore frugal BUT the ZF box are smooth and its a very relaxed wafty way to travel.

Its a 27 year old car and is such is on classic territory and has very low mileage plus must be one of the earliest Mk2 production cars left so quite rare (yes I know rarity doesnt make it valuable...)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I can attest to it being a sweet little thing to drive. The addition of the auto box really does suit the 'wafting' experience. Well it would if the spheres weren't so 'shot'!! :)
Mark Smith

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I do a good waft when I am in the mood.

I need to educate myself on the various models but at this time I am not being picky. I like the BXs I had/have, so feel your way in, seems appropriate. Part of the reason is that these cars old enough and can now be grouped under a classic car policy. So running a few old chaps is not much dearer, as they hopefully will back each other up as tasks are done to improve them. Rationalizing the Microcars owned will reduce the work in hand greatly now I have lost interest in the scene attached to them.

So lets do it. Who do I need to sort out logistics with? Is it going to be happy taking a 200 mile trip south under its own steam or is it a bit fragile. Got a trailer. Never been to Blackpool - sold an Steyr Puch 500cc engine there though.

I wonder if you get a bulk discount on spheres as the Estate will need a set too, I expect. Been stood for 5 year and chummy never mentioned changing them, so more like 10 years at least. Swindon GFS is at least local for what parts they do have.

Mate just popped in and reminded my there is furniture to move for a friend in Stockport. I can see a plan.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I'm sure it would make the trip, but may check when the cambelt was last fine, take the spheres with you and at least fit the fronts before you leave to give you a better ride in the way home?
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

It would definitely need the spheres doing for that kind of journey. My spine was tingling after a 10 min jaunt round the block!! It's had a recent oil and filter change.
Mark Smith

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I confess to spherical virginity. I will swat up. Sounds like the trailer might be better, plus I can do the run on my own then. Mind you the way the van is going that is probably more likely to expire!

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Changing spheres is a doddle, the front ones take less than 5 minutes...but you do need a sphere tool or oil filter strap, the rears can be a pain but by no means beyond the abilities of most home mechanics. Its amazing the difference they make, I would also change the LHM at the same time as if the spheres are that shot some of the nitrogen could have leaked into it. The worst example was the "Green Hornet" which was like having no front suspension at all, £50 well spent to restore its waftability.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Confirm, front spheres are generally very easy, though I would be tempted to change Accumulator at the same time. Even the Boa strap wrench will remove these normally. just let the pressure regulator go a bit first. I have a monster chain wrench which will shift rear spheres (or wreck car) and that has persuaded the most reluctant rear ones off. If your desperate you may borrow it.
Any weeps at T junctions etc are usually down to the Accumulator sphere ie power steering return etc. Thanks to a Citroen tech for that little gem of advice, which solved a weep problem for me some moons ago.
If the front is solid on the corners when idling, the spheres are shot. The rears tend to give a harsh feedback on rough roads when shot. My current Amtek rears have gone in only about 20k. Normal life in regular use say 10k a year about 60k in my personal experience. Fantastic ride when new and clean fluid!.
GSF still sell LHM at a fair price, though even Citroen dealers are'nt bad.

The cam belt takes about an hour, as long as you can shift the crank bolt to start with. Pretty straight forward if a mite fiddly, easy to keep the timing correct too. Hour and a half tops.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Be aware that if a sphere has completely failed, it will feel tight all the way while unscrewing due to the pressure still in the system. And with the rear ones especially you're likely to get a faceful of LHM if this is the case. There's a guide in the Tech FAQ section on changing them.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad