D reg. 16TRS auto - needs to find a home . . . quick.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: D reg. 16TRS auto - needs to find a home . . . quick.

Post by Tim Leech »

Good luck with the car, I dont know of any "D plate" Mk2's in the BXC.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Tim Leech wrote: I would also change the LHM at the same time as if the spheres are that shot some of the nitrogen could have leaked into it.
BX's get the Bends? Interesting phenomenon. I would not have thought of that.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Not had time to view the Technical pages yet. It did not sound to difficult but so often what sounds easy is not and vice versa. I have a chain wrench, they do have the ability to wreck just about anything, don't they? Thanks for the offer. I had not thought in terms of the Estate spheres being total shot. Thinking about they are not as Mike was leaping on both ends when we first got it saying it was a height correction problem but change the spheres. LHM is on the list once Mr MOT agrees I am not mental in ignoring a girt hole or something.

Any my TZD exhaust bits arrived from Wolverhampton, seems well made and fits in the center of the cut out once adjusted at the joints for no stress. Tends to mean its made OK. Took the opportunity to free off, straighten out and grease up the spare wheel carrier. So that is the back down for Mr MOT I think (he likes grease on stuff, does my chap. Shows you've been in there). Might get the front done tomorrow as I have to socialize this evening, apparently.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Bit dumb here but realized the owners brother had posted. I have sent a PM. Hope thats considered form. Anyway hopefully contact will be made and the car removed to safety.

Ended up talking BX last night to an owner, (and Talbot Horizons). Socializing has its advantages, though I am not sure it was 100% appreciated by all in the room! Damned BX are turning up everywhere. Definitely a following for them though.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Arrangements just made for Thread Bear to collect the BX, we are really pleased its found a good home, sure it will turn into a really good car with some tlc and glad that such a bx has not been lost.
Thanks to all on the forum who have helped to save it.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Excellent!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Tim Leech wrote:Excellent!
..that_ ^^bx>
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Ah, beat me to it, Bill. Apologies for 'phone issues. Just bust one and the temp stone-age one has no instructions. Turned out it was muted after it was given to young adult to sort out! Anyway it should work now. Speak to you shortly. Thanks advisors and co. Looking forward to a new project.

MOT on Turbo Estate Thursday. Think I have resolved the radiator requirement with the spare after a further flush out with some old de-scaler I found. I need to find a better or new one eventually though. Lots to test and adjust if I can get the old fellow rolling.

maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Ah really glad someone's taking it on, my enthusiasm yet again proves unrealistic when trotting up the practicalities of getting it home right now. I think I'll persevere with finding a new engine for my 16tzs, and address some welding issues.

Well done Threadbare hope it all works out. Definitely recommend changing spheres before driving if you can

I do find the 16 much nicer round town than the diesel variants
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Well after quite a few false starts and a little patience D531 MGL has made it to me.\:D/ Unfortunately the young lad, Lewis, who did the transport flooded the car on trying to start it but we ran it off OK as he has a good trailer. Good to see a young guy getting stuck in to make a business and I can recommend him. Operates out of Leigh, Lancs via eBay ads. He had never been aware of BX till now. WTF?

The car is as pictured and described, thanks to those who did the scouting. What is good is clean and in line with the mileage. What is bad is redx away, to put it politely. I rather like the slightly faded paint look. Shabby chic. It would be great to find a door and wing of the right colour over time. It is a light blue, almost grey metallic colour. However there is just one more issue, which is a badly corroded sunroof assembly :-({|= . Not looked at the resources of old threads yet to see what wisdom is there, but it cannot be as bad as repairing a Tudor Webasto fabric roof and I have done a few of them. As long as the rood panel is salvageable something should be able to be done other than sealing it up. The scrap yard beckons.

Of course this is where not getting to Kettering is annoying, as if there had been a similar spec car there I would now, possibly, have had some idea what I am doing. As it is its Haynes/PC and a gentle arm (I have powerful wrists that break things if I am not careful) will have to do. Despite the frustrations I have enjoyed getting the TZD going and with no real pressure hopefully the TRS will be interesting too. I really like the extra rear quarter window, Smokin'.

Now to check on what oil the gearbox takes. If I am lucky I will have a stash from a Simca garage clearance contract I did a few years back. Loads of different unctuous fluids free! (no LHM [-( , why would there be? But a load of two stroke... :-k odd)

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a spare sunroof glass, from a Mk1 which is a bit corroded but not rotten.

Gearbox ONLY takes Dextron II, anything is sure to killl it so whatever you do dont use ATF or such like.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Make sure you do use the correct oil. In the case of manual petrols its Total BV 75-80. If Tim says its Dextron 11 (for the auto box) thats the one to get, accept no substitutes.

The older ie D plate 1.6 engine may or may not like unleaded. The 1.4 were leaded only until August 88 and then the 150C changed to the later TU unit. Be aware that the 1.6 may require a lead substitute or something to help it for valve seat wear. I'm sure someone else has more on the full technical specification of valve and valve seat materials. Peugeot will definitely have changed them at that sort of time. I was advised to use a 'catalyst' in my '91 car and have a 'Broquet' dropped in the tank. Whether it makes any difference I don't really know. What I can say is that it was put in before the recon engine went in in 04 and the unit has given no valve problems. Its' supposed to help fuel economy too. I moved it from one car to the other a while back, supposed to do 250k+ so quite a few more miles to find out if it works!

My old 1.4 did not like the LRP fuel too much, you could feel it lag a bit on a trailing throttle around corners. 4* leaded please! In 04 LRP was going to be phased out which is the main reason I scrapped the car after the head gasket had gone - possibly because of LRP.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Yup deffo DEXRON 2. Nothing else, even if everyone say's Dex 3 is superior. As you've obviously discovered, the sunroof mechanism doesn't work ( or it didn't ) and the height adjuster is seized. I'm glad it's gone to a good home. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive always run my XU petrols on a modern semi synthetic oil with no real issues, I imagine 20W/50 is thicker than it needs to be. Ive also always run them on standard unleaded with no pinking issues.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Pretty sure there were about four 5lt tins of Dexron II as it did not suit the Merc I had briefly (that was not why it was briefly, it was to damned thirsty). I will have to have a look. Each raid on this stash saves a surprising sum of money now everything is so dear. I begrudge buying the odd bottle of what I do not have. Anti froth additive to cheap diesel anyone? Think my farmer shed landlord might have that to put in his 'red'.

The sunroof makes an effort to work but it is a sad and pathetic attempt by a seriously injured fellow. Cars in the dry so I can strip it off and see what is left to use. Blackpool, salty air, sitting water. It is not going to be nice, I fear.

It still refuses to start. Indeed it is almost as if the gear stick sensor is adrift or there is an immobilizer. I am assuming it must be in Park to start. Odd as Peter drove it onto the trailer. Though as you will see in the other post I have not had much time to play with it and I think Homer ought to be sorted out first to clear the drive.

Fuel. Well I am not sure on valve spec. But it is all just in time for getting vom= on ethanol in fuel.
Last edited by Thread Bear on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.