Door Pins

BX Tech talk
tim leech

Door Pins

Post by tim leech »

I cant for the life of me get the drivers door top pin out, anyone know a easy trick, I dont have a pin remover unfortunantly! I have new ones to put in so it a case of a hammer and punch and knocking it out?
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Is the weight of the door holding it in place? It might be worth supporting it slightly with a jack - don't lift it too high as you'll buckle the frame, or the door, or both.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

I have a long punch set bought from Cromwell tools and one of those does the trick spot on. At work mind at the moment and can't remember which size :lol:

Haven taken off and swapped a fair few Bx doors in my time, I would recommend you get both started and moving before removing one pin completely. A pair of hands holding the door is a time saver as well, I found you cant easily balance the door yourself when trying to take the second pin out, as the weight of the door causes the remaining pin to flex slightly after you've taken the first one out.
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Cheers mike, ive been to halfords and bought a punch set so will have a go tomorrow, I will replace one at a time to make it easier.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Tim, if you can get a friend to hold the door upright as you knock the pins out I`m sure it would help a lot.
Vauxhall apologist.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ok matey erm I live alone so maybe will have to get some string through the sunroof or prop it up with something!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Tim i had this problem with mine it is because the top pin takes all the strain and it will be bent and destorted I had to get the propper pin removal tool to get mine out as no punches etc would remove it.

The pin was sort of this shape.

-------_______---------

As you can see the part the door hangs on in the middle gets bent I cannot show you as i tossed my old ones in the bin.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Where did you get the tool from aaron?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Portland tools in lincoln
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

How much was matey do you know, we have a bodyshop but they dont have one " modern cars dont use them" was the answer I got!
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

i will look tomorrow for you i do know it is a sykes pickevan tool so it is good quality. :lol:
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

The door must be supported - i.e. by a pile of wooden blocks etc. You can feel by hand that the strain is taken off the hinge pin. Do it with door opened fully.

1) standard masking tape for any paint job around the pin work area saves your paint

2) buy an offset punch that you dont need to hit at top end. Looks like the capital letter "T" - laid down on its side - and you hammer on the long bar of the T near the top crossbar of the T. The Sykes tool mentioned by Sleepy it is allright.

3) you may try upside down if the pin seems to move this way.

4) as soon as the pin starts moving - be ready to insert a nail as a supporting hingepin. Otherwise you will very suddenly need a 3.rd hand to save the lower hinge from getting ripped out the A-pillar :roll:
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

A classically forensic Anders solution!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i need to get one of these tools, so if anyone has links to online shops with the tool i'd be greatful!
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »