St Tropez restoration blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Des Smith
1K Away

Re: St Tropez restoration blog

Post by Des Smith »

Couldn't let my last post go without a photo...

Red is a weird colour - the MX3 always comes out more orangy-red in the photos than in real life, and I expect someone can probably post up the physics behind it. This shade is definitely less inclined to go pink than Venetian Red; it just goes flat and dull if unpolished.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Nice. I will own one of those one day. Pint-size V6. Just my thing. Far more interested in the acoustics than the power!

My red BX is also unfaded. The lacquer has gone in places, but the red bits are still red. Very unusual as PSA reds are not known for their longevity.
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Back on thread, Rob has sent some more photos and is progressing the car well. I think he's pleased to get his hoist back and be able to get this BX back on the road. Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't added rent to the invoice. The highlight of this bunch of pics is the St Tropez, bonnet up, looking like an animal sniffing the air before venturing out into the big wide world.

Here's the finished engine bay complete with new warm air scoop and all the plated metalwork. It's not intended to be a concourse finish but it does look tidy.

Here's the NS view of the car. The interior is all valeted, so that's cleared a space for more sweet wrappers and empty coke cans on the back seat.

Sniffing the fresh air after hibernation. That faded SeaFrance GB sticker will be replaced with a chrome item.
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Nice! 8)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Looking good Des! If you want a set of new old stock number plates making to match the original rear let me know.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

You have ickle spheres!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Tim Leech wrote:Looking good Des! If you want a set of new old stock number plates making to match the original rear let me know.
Tim, I already have more new front number plates than any reasonable person would need. I think I'll pass on the offer for the time being...
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tim Leech wrote:Looking good Des! If you want a set of new old stock number plates making to match the original rear let me know.
Can you get old-font plates made up then? Would quite like some for the 2CV and Discovery (for some reason I don't mind the BX so much).
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:
Can you get old-font plates made up then? Would quite like some for the 2CV and Discovery (for some reason I don't mind the BX so much).

Yes! I just give him the old ones and he copies them and makes up new ones. Ive had it done for the Xantia, GT, DTR and Marks valver.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

She's back and drives like a new car. Very happy! Photos to follow tomorrow...
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Congratulations :D - shame I was at work and couldn't offer a cuppa to recover from the bill ;P - look forward to seeing it in the metal at the National.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well done Des, she should last a looong time. One more saved, I think Chevronics might be looking at mine before it gets very very expensive or scrap.
If I get dazzled by a white St Tropez it can only be one of two now! The others must be a bit 'rough' if there are many others out there...
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

According to How Many Left, there are 8 left on the road. I know of three - Stinkwheel has the one that Tim rescued (H-EVC) , there's H-GDP, the one that sold on eBay recently, and WAM. I was really surprised that so many St Tropez models were registered - 1300 - which is amazing given it was (so-called) a limited edition car.
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks for that info Des. It's a pretty good ratio if 8 are genuinely running and doubtless a few SORN'd. My Athena and JayW's account for 66.6% of the still running Athenas on the road and I have the SORN'd one too which is repairable at a push. Same thing a limited edition but I would think there were more of them, hard to see as the data does not go far enough back, possibly 17-1800 at most?
Still the St Tropez was a bit of a last gasp push on the 1.4 in terms of promotion. Personally I still rate these smaller petrols but thank goodness we never got the 1100 engine!.

Amazing stuff this carbon fibre stiffer than the original steel on the sill at the back..... at least the MOT did not pick up on the lack of Fe in the section on the nearside!!! 3 layers of 6K plain weave and structural epoxy is a pretty good get me (a ticket and) home cure. the only give away is the slightly different noise when you tap it!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane