Which adhesive ?

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Which adhesive ?

Post by Gareth Wales »

I want to fix "new" rubbing strips but wonder which is the best way - would a heavy double-sided tape work? Cit used a black mastic-type adhesive. I also need to clean off the old adhesive both on the "new" strips and on the car. What's best for this?
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

The only way I've ever seen double sided tape stay stuck is the ones put on using a heat gun (like a hair dryer) and tapped gently with a mallet all over as it's being heated.

I used some stuff called "Sikaflex" on one of the boys Lancers to hold plastic looking plates to the upper door frames after they'd tried a few other tricks and even though it's in an area that gets some heavy work, it hasn't let go.
I've also used it to glue rear windows into CXs, one that was a "Sound off" car in ICE comps and it worked well on that too, so I'd reckon it may be the answer. You may need to use something like masking tape to hold it into position until it sets but once it does, it's no further worry.
Turps often shifts the old stuff, but using a wax and grease remover as used by spray painters prior to fitting is a wise move.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Widgit
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Widgit »

Gareth,

The "Sikafex" that Alan has mentioned is indeed a very strong product.
I used to work in the Marine industry and we used it for a variety of tasks.......the one thing I remember is, it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket and takes forever to remove from your hands !!
Be cautious in its use because it is basically a structural adhesive/sealant combination. We used to use "Gunwash" to remove excess product.

You can get stuckin now !!
:wink:
Tim
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have some double sided tape for refitting part of mine with limited success, likely due to the strip being bent where it was pulled off (thanks kids :evil: ) otherwise it would work pretty well IMHO.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

I bought a roll of the proper trim tape from a local factors cost me about £5 but it absolutely excellent the only thing is make sure you get the trim in the right place first time as once it sticks thats it its not cooming off again.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Sikaflex it is then - Sikaflex 221 is a black all-purpose adhesive sealant with a 24 hour curing rate - it this the one to use.
Other sikaflex is recommended as an alternative to welding - that is monstrously frightening glue! :roll: :roll:
M

Post by M »

Gareth Wales wrote:Other sikaflex is recommended as an alternative to welding - that is monstrously frightening glue! :roll: :roll:
And has been used by unscrupulous buggers in the past in their "repair" of ZX inner wings by gumming a tin plate over the hole then applying lots of underseal. :roll:
Cornishbx16v
BXpert

Post by Cornishbx16v »

make sure you are wearing gloves when you apply it!! its evil stuff to get off when you get it on your hands!
Timmo.

After all I AM CORNISH!!!!

www.bx16v.com
www.bx16v.co.uk/forum
www.bx16valve.co.uk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Just for the record, Sikaflex techincal people recommend that Sikaflex Standard 252 is the most appropriate for sticking on trim and other non-load-bearing applications.
Many thanks for all your help
Gareth
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Can you stick cars rusty together with sikoflex then? :D Might be useful for the 16TRS!
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

tim leech wrote:Can you stick cars rusty together with sikoflex then? :D Might be useful for the 16TRS!
As a matter of fact, it happens all the time when you're refitting rear windows and rear quarter glasses on a CX using it. :shock: :roll:

Alan S :wink:
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

What kind of adhesive is recommended for resticking headlamp lenses?

I noticed during a stop-off on my way back from Dover after Citromobile that the glass had parted from my n/s headlamp at the bottom! I knew I had a few spares. However, last weekend while attempting to remove said headlamp, the glass came away totally and the plastic body completely disintegrated! I had to remove the thing in several very sharp pieces!! :twisted:

Oh well, so, I have a n/s headlamp glass going spare... which would look quite good polished up and used as a small snack bowl on the coffee table...

The reason I ask about adhesive, post headlamp destruction, is that I have a spare GSA headlamp where the glass has become detached.

Cheers!

Mark.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

With windows and side strips, the sikaflex being black is quite inobtrusive but it stands out like dogs b***s if used in a headlight, so I've usually used a clear silicone sealant, held it in place with masking tape for about 24 hours, removed it when the silicone has set, and it's lasted for years.
Best one I did was when I repaired a reflector on a CX and stuck the glass back using the above method. The car was written off in a bingle is now sitting in my yard with the same headlights which have been exposed to the tropical elements and is still holding tight. The job was done at Easter 1985.

Alan S