The Fleet blog and Mollie's restoration at Chevronics.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Mothman

Re: The Fleet blog

Post by Mothman »

Now been getting old Sophie ready for her trip down to Looe in ten days or so from now. Last week, changed the oil and all the filters. Didnt know it it was me but she sounded a lot quieter after the change. Anyway, she hadnt done many miles[KMs] since the last one but it was a year ago.
Today replaced all of the leak off pipes, had a small disaster with one splitting a while back, left a right old trail of diesel behind her.
Also fitted the cowling/cover that goes over the wiper motor. She has never had one, just the rubber bung which surprised me by coming out in one piece. I happened to have a spare amongst all my bits n bobs and it went in quite easily. Was rather pleased to find i had a socket big enough to undo the big ring under the wiper arm so she is whole and covered again. Topped up the LHM, pumped up the tyres and packed a few spares and fishing kit. A good wash, especially the windows on the inside, pol her up and she will be ready to go. Fingers crossed.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Happy fishing Andy. :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Cheers Mark,
they are catching lots now however, knowing my luck it will be wet n windy when i get there and blowing from the north east, the worst sharking wind there is. Fingers and rods crossed.

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just a thought. Sophie has a Bosch diesel pump as opposed to a CAV one and although some 28 years old now would it be an idea to put some veg oil in her? Bought a few litres of late on bogoff deals at the supermarkets and wonder if it would do any harm?
I have put the stuff in my n/a diesel Estate but never in Sophie. Do you think it would be a problem? Wouldnt consider it with a CAV pump.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

There is potential for the rubber seals within the pump to go hard with the veg oil & then it will start pissing out fluid. I've been using veg on & off for a few years now on a bosch pump with no ill effects so far, but its a risk, if you know how to re-build the pump yourself, then you probably know the answer ;)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ime afraid i dont know how to rebuild them Matthew but i do have a couple of spare ones but ime thinking that as Sophie's is nearly 30 years old its not worth risking. I dont need any self inflicted break downs, unpredicted ones will be bad enough!!

The TGD is 8 years younger and not as rare and has survived many miles of the stuff so far so best not bugger up a MK 1.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Probably best to not use it on any mk1.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Went down to Malcolm's yesterday in the TZD. She has had a hydraulic leak for the past couple of months so not driven her much and i am pleased to say she was a fantastic drive. We thought and hoped that it would be an easy fix but Malcolm found that part of the dreaded octopus had failed. In fact it had been bodged with an earlier repair and it wasnt fixeable. Luckily i had a spare one in the back of the motor and it was a pleasure to watch an expert at work. Didnt take long and Malcolm only removed the front wheel to do the job. As i couldnt do much but watch, had a go at cleaning and tidying a load of his tools. Now he cant find anything[lol]. Did a great job and made it look very easy. Bit daunting to do it myself though.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Just bought a couple more oil back harnesses from local stealer for £49.27 plus vat. Be ready for collection next week. Price hasnt changed in a 12 month.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well Andy you've caught an Octopus! :lol:

Did you catch any sharks?
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ime afraid not bud. All very sad as my mum died on the evening of the day i went down to Looe and i had to come back early next day. :(
No more fishing for me till next year probably. Now have all the grief of sorting all her things. Plan is to move down to Cornwall in a couple of years time.

Andy
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Really sorry to hear about your mum Andy. Hope you're ok. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks Mark,
getting along just fine now although probably wont be so good at the funeral next week. My life has a bit of a hole in it for now as ive cared for her over the last 6 years but its getting a lot easier.
Getting stuck into the BXs helps, trying to start Mollie at the moment and she is winning but not for long. Ile show her who is the boss!!

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Keep yourself busy bud, hope the funeral goes aswell as possible.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Very sorry to hear about your mum Andy. I lost my parents some 13 - 14 years ago, my mum first. It is just impossible to describe the feeling, not sure I could even now.

Good to know you have something to keep you occupied, though its never far away. Very strange feeling but time really does help to bring some closure. Hope it all works out.

I sailed down at Looe in '97 and really liked the feel of the place. Parked up and never left the town all week. No louts boozing in the streets and a great welcoming sailing club. Walked down the fish market quite a few times early morning and was able to chat to some of the guys there. Also ended up rescuing pedalos from the pool but that's another tale.

Maybe when you catch one next year you can say to yourself 'this ones for you mum'.

I still do that occassionally when I win a big race in my boat, when I think of my dad.