TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Tim Leech »

im getting BX withdrawls, must get the TZI MOT'ed, just its a pain getting it done at work! the aftersales manager is a buck toothed miserable part time wan*er who has removed most of the perks associated with my job.

No more half price MOT's (its £49 now if its a non VAG car) or paying at the end of the month and the Brand Manager gets the arse if he sees staff cars taking up valuable service bays so it has to be off site until an hour before and then taken home the same day....its not the place it once was and weve lost alot of people over the past few years.

Plus i'm 40 next year (yes I know I dont look it....) and we are working more and more hours and have ever increasing targets, I want more weekends off (which doesnt happen) and do a 9-5 job for once is my life where noone rings you at all times of the day. Trouble is finding one that pays well and gives you some perks isnt easy as these days they think they own you.

Oh for a lottery win....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I know what you mean, although at least my 64 hour weeks are balanced out with weeks off! Round here where I work is one of the best paying places in the area - I can get better, but with a commute of 20+miles each way instead of 9, which would leave me out of pocket.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I am lucky in as such I get a £25k new Golf every 6 months to use as I want inc free diesel...BUT I hardly get to drive it asides to work....Michael is very patient but its disappointing every time we get invited somewhere we can either go for a day or not at all maybe going forward if we pool our resources it could mean that a slightly lesser paid job but with more sociable hours would be possible.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Sales in a call centre? Ok it might resemble working in a chicken coop, but it'd be 9-5, Mon - Fri without any extracurricular interruptions. Listen to me giving employment advice. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:Sales in a call centre? Ok it might resemble working in a chicken coop, but it'd be 9-5, Mon - Fri without any extracurricular interruptions. Listen to me giving employment advice. :)

Been there, its enough to make you want to jump out of the window, you know me I'm a people guy, the thought of being in 4 walls day in and day out would drive me barmy.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Me too mate. :) How about parts delivery. Some sales lead work and 'normal' hours.
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Are all car dealerships the same? try another if it does better hours & has some proper perks. Knowing how garages seem to differ even if they are selling the same brand, you might find another vw dealer who looks after you better? or what about a job at one of those car warehouse places, the sales staff never seem to have that much pressure?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

MULLEY wrote:Are all car dealerships the same? try another if it does better hours & has some proper perks. Knowing how garages seem to differ even if they are selling the same brand, you might find another vw dealer who looks after you better? or what about a job at one of those car warehouse places, the sales staff never seem to have that much pressure?

They are Mulley, this is one of the better ones but VW want 10% market share soon so our targets are going up 20% a year to try and get to it!, its just that its one of those businesses were people expect you to be open 364 days a year or they will vote with their feet (once upon a time we closed Sundays). Its a very male dominated industry still and of course so quite testosterone fuelled and full of bravado....you are paid on commission so if you dont sell you dont earn much...which isnt helped by our longest serving salesman being incredibly selfcentred and the most competative man Ive ever known who takes no prisoners and will happily walk all over you/make up anything to get a sale....he sells alot of motors though (twice what one of the other guys does) so gets away with more than he should.

I would NEVER work in a big car warehouse like "Carcraft" as I have a concience and I know the kind of pressures they have to deal with (plus you can guarantee the Sales manager is a complete lunatic)....which is fine when your earning big money but those days are gone...I worked for a used car supermarket and made a good living but the staff turnover was huge and it about killed me as the boss was a nutcase with a hairtrigger temper.

has asnyone seen the film "Suckers" (its not that kind of film).

In an ideal world it would be a customer facing/sales 39 hour week, with a lunch hour, no weekends and a company car.........which I dont think exists anymore
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Never even heard of the film but I've just Googled it - might be worth a watch. Is it true to life? I'm in the middle of trying to get a new job too, which is less pay but less (and better) hours so I see the importance of time out of work. And I very rarely have to work weekends!

On the subject of VWs, I saw the new New Beetle the other day and actually REALLY liked it. Given that the cars I like are normally unpopular with the majority, I'm guesing you aren't selling very many? :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Your spot on Mat...the new beetle is a disaster, the worlds moved on, the original beetle was a icon and cheap, the one after that was cute but theres the Bini and Fiat Ka 500 now, both of which are cheaper and smaller. Most women prefer a smaller car (fact) and the Beetle is Golf sized and too much money.

VW are a good company to work, the cars are excellent, I admit they arent cutting edge in styling or panache but would you buy a new Alfa? (they are still patchy).

My job isnt hard, ive been doing it for years, my immediate boss is lovely (although he needs to grown some balls and be able to make a decision without 100 meetings), I get my own office and its warm and dry but its the hours that are a pain....by the time Sunday comes I will have done 11 days without one off.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote: I saw the new New Beetle the other day and actually REALLY liked it. Given that the cars I like are normally unpopular with the majority, I'm guesing you aren't selling very many? :lol:

Me too, one was parked here at work the other day a fancy all singing all dancing 3 door sport and it looked the dogs danglies , very much more like a modern version of the original than the last one, but they are expensive and there is a lot more out there for less dollars to choose from.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Defender110 wrote:
mat_fenwick wrote: I saw the new New Beetle the other day and actually REALLY liked it. Given that the cars I like are normally unpopular with the majority, I'm guesing you aren't selling very many? :lol:

Me too, one was parked here at work the other day a fancy all singing all dancing 3 door sport and it looked the dogs danglies , very much more like a modern version of the original than the last one, but they are expensive and there is a lot more out there for less dollars to choose from.
I have also seen the new beetle, I love it! As Mulley said it's much more like the original in a way and the 1.4T petrol sounds like an interesting option, the one I saw had big chrome wheels and a spoiler and indeed looked the danglies!
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The 1.4T tbh is the worst model, its no where near as fast as the figures (160bhp apparently) would suggest and the fuel economy is pants with mid 30's being the norm. The 1.2TSI 105ps is fine or one of the TDI models.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I didn't realise Gordon Gekko worked at T L Darby Volkswagen! :)

* I'm with the above majority ( or the greater minority ) who actually like the latest re-incarnation of the VW Beetle. Once the price has dropped in the used market, I'll probably have a look for one.*
Mark Smith

Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mds141 wrote: Once the price has dropped in the used market, I'll probably have a look for one.*
Wot? To like . . . free? :D