Rob's BX-19 TRS estate 1988

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
robfreeland

Rob's BX-19 TRS estate 1988

Post by robfreeland »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the club and have a white 19trs estate with 103,000k miles on it. I bought it when I was 15, but have been unable to do any work on it up until now - I'm now 16 and have a free summer, so will be tackling a few jobs - I'll be asking for plenty of advice! :D The car had been off the road and dry (ish) stored for 8 years, despite this, we put some petrol in it, hooked up a battery and it started!! :o for the first time in 8 years! It is in remarkable condition - virtually no bodywork rust at all and only surface rust where the waxoyl had dropped off underneath. However, the hydraulic pipes to the rear suspension and brakes are corroded (which is the reason it was taken off the road) and need replacing (as the car doesn't lift at all :( ) which is the main job for this summer. It has a beige interior which is in good condition - there is wear to the driver's seat, but that's about it (except the glove box had fallen off!). I'm looking for a new set of wheel trims as the originals are cracked and missing large bits of plastic, so if anyone has a set I would be interested - alloys or any type of trim. Well, I think that's about it - its an honest car that just needs a bit of tlc to get it back on the road - and plenty of advice from the BXclub! :lol:
It was interesting getting a completely low bx onto the trailer! :?
The glovebox is now fixed!
Last edited by robfreeland on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
1989 19 TRS estate, up and running!
2006 Ford Focus 1.6 Titanium
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Rob's BX-19 TRS estate 1988

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome! Those beige interiors are proper rare now!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Welcome. That's a nice car, and the 2nd 19TRS estate to have surfaced this year - coincidentally with the same hydraulic issues too.

After working on that one, I'd recommend jacking the whole car up and replacing the pipes one at a time - I tried doing it one end at a time and managed to get a couple of pipes swapped over.

There's a wealth of info here, so you should find answers to your questions. You'll also get the wheeltrim police along shortly to tell you it has the wrong ones on! :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
robfreeland

Post by robfreeland »

Really?! What wheeltrims should it have? It was like that when I bought it. Any ideas where I can get some originals? (or similar). I think I'll do the same - just replace each pipe as I go.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

They are the wrong ones but as he's a newbie! I do happen to have the correct type but am missing a few carriers.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Welcome Rob,

Thats a fine looking BX you have there and its good to see a young 'un taking proper interest in BX's :D
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Indeed it is good to have some younger folk getting stuck in. We might be OK when our backs have gone in 15 years time to get a few wee jobs done. Might need more persuasion than a Wurthers Original (stale Murry Mints?) though. More like ~ale~ .

Nah. Wheel trims. I was going to wait till I went to a meeting to get genned up on that. I think the 1.6 has correct trims, a set. Out of everything else I have two original trims, the give away being BX have four studs and the wheel trims sets I have exhibit five holes :shock: Bet the police will not let me have the ones I like best. [-X

Does look a very good basis for a tidy car. Well got and stashed. Having stash room really does give the bargain hunter the advantage over those with no space.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

your hydraulic system will need a thorough inspection after standing for some time, yes the front to rear pipes are prob shot, but not too much trouble to change, i would also inspect all the return pipes as well as the front flexi brake lines, all pipes and fittings are available from plieades (check spelling) martin is a wealth of experience of bx plumbing and can supply whichever pipes u need made up to fit and also has time to chat about any hydraulic issues, they can also supply recon pumps and most other hyd parts, plenty of knowledge on here, be warned the hydraulic system runs at very high pressure and every caution should be taken when maintaining it, seek advice first if unsure. good luck with your bx'ing.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Great stuff. Welcome!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Front to rear pipes are available new from Citroen (I bought one this year) and should outlast the car, they arent that easy to change unless you can get it on a four post ramp so do one at a time and dont forget new seals

Its good to see younger members coming on board or one day it will be all us lot sporting beards and bald patches!

Once you have it hyadraulically "tight" first thing to do will be to change the belts and fluids.
robfreeland

Post by robfreeland »

rutter123 wrote:your hydraulic system will need a thorough inspection after standing for some time, yes the front to rear pipes are prob shot, but not too much trouble to change, i would also inspect all the return pipes as well as the front flexi brake lines, all pipes and fittings are available from plieades (check spelling) martin is a wealth of experience of bx plumbing and can supply whichever pipes u need made up to fit and also has time to chat about any hydraulic issues, they can also supply recon pumps and most other hyd parts, plenty of knowledge on here, be warned the hydraulic system runs at very high pressure and every caution should be taken when maintaining it, seek advice first if unsure. good luck with your bx'ing.
Thanks for the advice - i've removed the fuel tank and rear exhaust sections as i get much better visibility and access, so just a case of switching old pipes with new - i was thinking of getting the pipes made from a guy off ebay, any experience? he's called "the citroen hydraulic pipe man". I won't have to worry about system pressure at the moment as it hasn't got any! The big rusted through holes in the pipes give that away!! :lol:
cheers
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well sounds like he knows his stuff, if he makes them up make sure they are kunifer pipes so they wont rust again.

Good luck with the old Girl, sounds like she is in good hands!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

If you wanted to PM me the lengths of pipes you need im more than capable of making them up for probably slightly less than the bloke on e-bay.

Also in kunifer obviously, with new 3.5mm LHM seals also.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Really?! What wheeltrims should it have? It was like that when I bought it. Any ideas where I can get some originals? (or similar).
If you do a search, there's a great pic of all the different wheels and trims and what models they fitted. The ones on there are TG spec, but if you want the right ones as well as what Tim has I may have a couple kicking round, including the retaining rings so between us we may be able to sort you out. If they're repairable you'll probably find a home for your trims too - most lose the covers over the valves like yours seem to have done (may be worth looking in the car for them, they seem to be worth more than the trim!)
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
robfreeland

Post by robfreeland »

citsncycles wrote:
Really?! What wheeltrims should it have? It was like that when I bought it. Any ideas where I can get some originals? (or similar).
The ones on there are TG spec, but if you want the right ones as well as what Tim has I may have a couple kicking round, including the retaining rings so between us we may be able to sort you out. If they're repairable you'll probably find a home for your trims too - most lose the covers over the valves like yours seem to have done (may be worth looking in the car for them, they seem to be worth more than the trim!)
Thanks, that would be great if you could source me some trims, just let me know of a price if you find some :) I'm afraid the ones on my car are gone repair - the rims have cracked off at some point and there are big gouges all over them - i tried repainting (even with some thick brush on paint! :roll: ) but they are too far gone, i was thinking of keeping them for the future just in case (you never know! :-s )