Indicator stalk has broken off :-(

BX Tech talk
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Indicator stalk has broken off :-(

Post by Daniel B »

Chaps,
yesterday, whilst not being driven by me, the indicator stalk on my baby broke off.....

In all honesty I think it is just down to the age, but I'm now left with a loose stalk, which doesn't inspire confidence.

I will tape it on with for added stability in the short term, but how would this need to be replaced?

To clarify, the plastic has snapped, and if I pull the remains of the stalk off, I can see the metal section that kind of dissapears into the steering column.

Would it be a steering wheel surround off job?

Dan
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Indicator stalk has broken off :-(

Post by DavidRutherford »

Daniel B wrote:Would it be a steering wheel surround off job?
Yep. Steering wheel too.
this might be a signature
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks for the fast reply David,

I already have a removeable 'Snap off' steering boss fitted, so removing the wheel is a 2 second job - would the boss need to come off as well do you know?

Dan
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Dan,

I stuck one back onto one of the boys cars with Devcon epoxy and it has held for about 3 - 4 years now, so might not be as urgent as first appears.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Daniel B wrote:would the boss need to come off as well?
Depends how big it is and how in the way it gets. There are two screws on the "front" of the steering cowling which have to be removed, and you may find you need better access to get to them, and the switch unit itself.
this might be a signature
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

There are two screws on the "front" of the steering cowling which have to be removed
Typically these screws require a torx bit!!

Don't recall if you have to remove the bottom cowling but if so that is also held in place by 3 or 4 torx headed screws underneath, quite fiddly.

Then it's a doddle to replace the actual unit, ensuring the indicator return thingy is aligned, I recall cocking it up once!
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

You dont need to remove the steering wheel, infact you can take everything off in that area including the dash console without taking the steering wheel off!

just drop the bottom tray!
1) remove the small screws (T5?) that hold the upper and lower shroud together. (turn the wheel from lock to lock ot get at the screws (works for both types of steering wheel))

2) remove 4 torx head screws (t25?) from deep recesses in lower cowling

3) bottom cowling will fall down, disconnect (either from the cowling of the electrical connection) the lights left on buzzer and the dash lights dimmer.

4) undo two brass screws that hold in the indicator stalk, light upper cowling and withdraw indicator unit.

5) disconnect wiring connector

reffiting is the reverse, but make sure the steering wheel is fully on one lock before inserting the indicator stalk, otherwise you'll snap the turn signal cancel stalk.

Steering wheel does not need removal and will result in being off centre if you remove it! However in the case of the momo snap off boss, it may be useful at times to remove it!

I have an indicator stalk i can bring to the FCS if you want Dan, or if you want it before then i can probably get it in the post?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I drove for years with an epoxy repaired one, if you have the broken bit its the work of moments.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Daniel B
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks all, and for those instructions Vanny.

Luke and Rob reckon they may have spare stalks available, and are planning to bring them, if they do, to FCS - won't need it before but thanks for the offer.

If you happen to have one to hand, then by all means bring it along if it's nice and easy and no hassle, otherwise I'll see what Luke and Rob can come up with :D

Cheers

Dan
ernst stavro blofeld
Confirmed BX'er

Post by ernst stavro blofeld »

Mine is glued on as well! It is an easy and durable repair and well in keeping with the spirit of BX ownership.