is it worth fixing the latest lhm leak ?

Anything about BXs
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: is it worth fixing the latest lhm leak ?

Post by RobC »

The "Citreon Centre" (sic) in Erith are good - used to take my bx for MoTs and the odd bit of extra work there. In the middle of an industrial estate but they do offer a pickup service from the local station.
1991 Citroen BX 16v
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

Good news the leak was just a return pipe, which could be cut off a little bit, so it is all fixed now and also passed Mot without problems.
:P
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Great bud, i had a feeling thats what it was.
Easy fix too, well done.

Andy
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I have now got pretty intimate with the front cross member return pipes :wink: . They are not the easiest things to get at. However I now know which I can get to at the side of the road, and which I cannot. I have large hands so a smaller boned, lankier limbed person could get to a few more. If your minded to take on the leaks as they come then it is worth knowing those you can and cannot reach as most times a roadside repair will get you home with a spare bottle of LHM, if not resolve the issue pretty permanently. It seems there are three sizes of rubber pipe so a section of each and a matching short section of plastic pipes with a few cable ties and possibly those thin stainless steel high end pipe clips (better than jubilee on smalls as they constrict around the radius rather than off center). That lot in an old bike puncture repair tin sat in the void next to the washer bottle seems to get you out of half the LHM probs on the road :) . You can add a few latex gloves if your squeamish. I am afraid I just get grubsworth major as I seem built to get dirty. The gloves split when I wear them :? . Best bet is to find a place with a good curb and get the car straddle on to it. Block one side with the spare and the other with the jack, or how ever suits. Even old fatty here can get at a few then :D .

No idea if AA, RAC and co will crawl under a BX if you produce said emergency tin. I have never had them called out. The time I did want them a few months back a helper had removed the Insurers sheet of paper which included the bloodwagon service emergency number from my 'Hello Mr Policeman' car pack being noisy :^o . Fortunately mates resolved this prob with lifts etc letsbefriends . Having learned the ways I am assembling my BX road scraping kit so I do not have to call out help 8) . All the 30 years of bubbling I never failed to get home under my own power. Some major roadside mechanics and borrowed engines included but it is a source of pride and pleasure to beat the nasty little gremlins :twisted: when they attempt to interfere. =D>

These return pipes do need looking at from the point of view of a relatively easy, economic replacement set made up outside Citroen parts supply to prevent these niggly and embarrassing sinking moments. Those less keen to dive under cars can then get the kit retro fitted at a convenient time and have more trust in the car out on the road. A job for the future, methinks :idea: .
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Hi Thread Bear, As I mentioned on one of the other octopus threads recently, if the octopus lets go it's possible to drive home with little further loss of LHM just by setting the height lever in "intermediate". Further significant losses will only then occur at times when the engine is switched off and the car settles.

The exception is if the front strut has blown, then an emergency tube arrangement from the strut return to the reservoir may help you but to arrange this safely without it being caught up in the running gear may be problematic. :shock: :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Then most of my leaks have been strutty ones. This fits the pattern being established and the recent gusher, now magically resolved. I wonder if there was a pipe blockage? Its been a very naughty car so far, in choosing when to plop. Normally over 30 miles from home.

Went 90 miles, round trip, last night, to a clubnight and it behaved perfectly. When doing so I can concentrate on the other things needing adjustment or fixing. Each time the whole gets a little better.

I take confidence in what you say in regard to the non strut return system to be reasonably sparing on LHM. A swatted BX with no fluid is an awkward thing to play with.

Once backed up with Homer I think I need to investigate and resolve this white car's system. It certainly wants the filters checked again and a flush out might pay dividends. Back to ill maintenance as well as time acting on pipes. Its the gambol I took.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars