Three door BX

Anything about BXs
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Three door BX

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Found this old pic. Don't know anything about it, but thought I'd share it.

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Re: Three door BX

Post by BX Bandit »

A sports special by the looks of it, although I clearly know sweet Fu@k all. The 4tc was a three door wsn't it?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Not a 4TC, bonnet not long enough but a great looking Mk 1.

Andy
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The BX4TC Rally car was indeed 3 door in that the rear doors were welded shut and body moulding applied over. Much like the car pictured above. However the latter has no extended front as Andy correctly points out - and it's different in a lot of ways from the rather lumberous 4TC... it actually looks like quite a nimble machine in comparison. Wonder what engine it had (and it's highly unlikely to have been 4 wheel drive)?
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Some monsterous wheels too!!

Andy
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Shorter than average rear overhang too, do you know what year this is from Phil?
1990 BX TGD White
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have absolutely no more info on this pic. Do you think it has a shortened wheelbase? Anyway, I'll dig a bit more...

For comparison purposes: the £100,000+ restoration* (*the car itself must've cost a few Euros to buy too!) carried out near where I live... Although I'm yet to find out precisely where; it's a closely guarded secret...

There are more pics of this if anyone's interested: plus engine bay shots, just visit: http://www.geoffpageracing.com/gallery_grp_b.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Beautiful! It hasn't got that lumbering ungainlyness that other 4TCs I've seen have. That would look AMAZING on the BXC NEC stand!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Philip Chidlow wrote:The BX4TC Rally car was indeed 3 door in that the rear doors were welded shut and body moulding applied over. Much like the car pictured above. However the latter has no extended front as Andy correctly points out - and it's different in a lot of ways from the rather lumberous 4TC... it actually looks like quite a nimble machine in comparison. Wonder what engine it had (and it's highly unlikely to have been 4 wheel drive)?
But for some reason the body kit has a dimple feature and they've left the rear door handles in place (which surely would have been redundant) !

However the Black 4TC below (Which obviously is NOT the Rally version), does look like the rear doors do open as there is a definite break feature in the moulding between the rear door and the lower 'C' pillar/panel section :wink:

Check out THIS link, if you zoom in to see a close up of the image /\ the REAR seats and seat belts are clearly visible (So if the rear doors were welded up you need to have folding down front seat to get into the back) which look just like the normal/standard 16V type seats :wink:

:mrgreen:

Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

The white restoration is a 4TC Evo for rallying and will be the 3 door configuration as already described.

The black one is one of the road going homologation cars and will be 5 door.

Regardless of how many doors, both are awesome :D

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

This was a time of homologation 'cheating', where the letter of rule was scrutinised for loopholes. This might explain not being able to access the rear seats. For the rules they might only need be fitted.
My brother was involved with Seat Rallying and they needed more power. They therefore decided to increase the power of the engine with larger valves. However they did not want the expense of making the required number of altered cars knowing the engines would not be long lived. Thus the required number of valve sets were made up, a guy stood on the production line and placed the valves in the boot of cars going down the line and out to the dealers. The dealer finding the package also found a directive to return the package to Seat. Thus they could claim to have 'fitted' the valves on production cars! They got away with it but sadly more power did not bring results as the front suspension kept collapsing, ruining many good placings gained by dint of the special engine.

Its a taste thing but for me these cars do not look pretty nor very desirable to me. It proves you cannot please everyone and as usual I march in the opposite direction to the general opinion, I expect. Wonder how many of these 'specials' survive?
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I need to have a lie down with a wet flannel over my face. BX 4 TC = gentlemen's crisis. :oops: :shock:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Thread Bear wrote:Wonder how many of these 'specials' survive?
Very few I think, after Group B got shut down Citroen went round buying back the road going 4TCs and scrapping them from what I've read :(
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

/\ but why?
1990 BX TGD White
Mike P
BXpert

Post by Mike P »

Citroen's performance in Group B was awful and very short lived.

Of the 200 road going cars made, it is stated that only 62 were sold. They were problematic and Citroen bought a lot of them back, mostly in shame and there were estimated only around 25 to 30 of them left with owners.

They aren't that quick, even with 200bhp, the 0 to 60 time was around 7.5 seconds.

There was a UK one that was on a B reg but I've never been able to track down it's whereabouts or fate

Mike P
"F" White Phase 1 16V: 62K miles & seen on TV
"E" Grey Phase 1 16V: Long term project in bits