Operation wake up GT! (no one has 56k anymore, right?!)

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Re: Operation wake up GT! (no one has 56k anymore, right?!)

Post by docchevron »

if it's corroded along it's entire bottom length, which it probably is, you'll never get to it all without taking the wing off.
That said, if you cut the inner wing out you can get to most of it from the boot / underneath.
Cit's use of foam mastic to bond the outerwing to the inner wing along there was a dismal idea.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Mine went there too :(

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

It got worse....again. Spotted some loose chunks of underseal on the rear chassis legs:

Rear subframe off to have a better look:

Fuel tank out to have a better look still:

It's all gone a bit wrong, really :( It's also fair to say if all this had been spotted on day one, the car probably wouldn't have been repaired.
Annoyed that I didn't spot that, along with the crust in the rear arch. Going to be a right fiddle to put that right too - not quite sure how to attack it as the rails have gone, along with one of the subframe mounts which is inside a box section, so I'm going to have to creative!

Good job it didn't get voted in for the NEC :lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Find me any old car that has less rust then you originally thought when you start delving deep....at least this way it lives to fight another day.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:Fine me any old car that has less rust then you originally thought when you start delving deep....at least this way it lives to fight another day.
Very true Tim, though there are certain levels of what's doable and what's not.

I've inadvertantly saved it, because if I'd seen all I don't think we'd have gone ahead with it. Now we've come too far to go back!

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Kitch wrote:It got worse....again. Spotted some loose chunks of underseal on the rear chassis legs:

It's all gone a bit wrong, really :( It's also fair to say if all this had been spotted on day one, the car probably wouldn't have been repaired.
:

I feel for you and have to agree; I wouldn't of bothered repairing one this bad. Question is now do you carry on?, I don't think anyone would blame you if you decided to call it a day.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Defender110 wrote:
Kitch wrote:It got worse....again. Spotted some loose chunks of underseal on the rear chassis legs:

:

I feel for you and have to agree; I wouldn't of bothered repairing one this bad. Question is now do you carry on?, I don't think anyone would blame you if you decided to call it a day.
Oh I'll fix it. I've got to, we've sunk too much time and money not to. Plus they're pretty rare! :lol:

But if I'd seen it at the beginning along with the windscreen pillar rot etc......I'd have thought twice.

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If I had known the DTR was as rough as it was I wouldnt have bothered but if I hadnt done it who else would? same with your GT Kitch, to some its just a rusty old french car but to those more informed we know more.

It will be worth it when its all done and you have a car to admire and you can think to yourself "I did that".

Keep the faith.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:If I had known the DTR was as rough as it was I wouldnt have bothered but if I hadnt done it who else would? same with your GT Kitch, to some its just a rusty old french car but to those more informed we know more.

It will be worth it when its all done and you have a car to admire and you can think to yourself "I did that".

Keep the faith.
Well, my Dad will :lol:

Wasn't your DTR just paintwork though? Truth be told I can't remember what you did to it!

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Kitch wrote:
Tim Leech wrote:If I had known the DTR was as rough as it was I wouldnt have bothered but if I hadnt done it who else would? same with your GT Kitch, to some its just a rusty old french car but to those more informed we know more.

Keep the faith.
Well, my Dad will :lol:

Wasn't your DTR just paintwork though? Truth be told I can't remember what you did to it!

Well yes, but it had 4 new doors, which I fitted myself and swopped over all the internals, a new rear 1/4 panel, 2 front wings, lots of oily bits and a complete interior strip out and refit, it had a bit of welding to the boot floor and subframe which I had to pay to get done aswell as a repaint.

I comfortably did over 1000 miles collectin parts and stopped counting at £3000....
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Bloody hell, didn't realise it had that much! Ah well, doing up BXs is never going to make you money! :lol:

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Kitch wrote:Bloody hell, didn't realise it had that much! Ah well, doing up BXs is never going to make you money! :lol:

It had loads and loads of time spend on it, I took the carpets and steam cleaned them before going through the washer (twice).....

I lost well over £1000 on it, but got alot of satisfaction doing it and surprised myself with the amount of work I could do myself. I do hope the new owner looks after it aswell....
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Tim, was that a professional or works cleaner? And what do you mean by going through the washer? I have a vax carpet cleaner with the small attachment jobby, would be good for seats and carpets I think, though not as good as a pro job obviously.

Mk 1s are worth the effort I reckon, mk 2s possibly. I think if my scrapper was a mk 1 I'd try and save it, but it's pretty rotten in the rear chassis legs.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I removed the carpets, took them into work, doused them in alloy wheel and upholstery cleaner then blasted the f*ck out of with a pressure washer, the colour difference was amazing as was the colour of the water, they came up like new.

Once dry I brought them home and run them through my washing machine to rinse off any chemicals and it also made them smell nice! Then a few weeks in the airing cupbaord had them good as new.

The front carpet has to be split into two (where it crosses the transmission tunnel) to get it out, plus it wouldnt have gone in the washer as one.
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Kitch wrote:It got worse....again.

It's all gone a bit wrong, really... It's also fair to say if all this had been spotted on day one, the car probably wouldn't have been repaired.
That view looks strangely familiar...
Tim Leech wrote:Find me any old car that has less rust then you originally thought when you start delving deep.
..that_

Makes you do all of the following: ](*,) [-o< :-k but not necessarily in that order and not just once. Good luck, mate!
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987