TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Tinkley »

Not so fast Sandre, I've been in/driven Minor, VW Beetle, and 2CV and the latter is probably the best of the bunch in many ways. Like 15 adults in van version and it still did 60mph. Was in one when a branch fell from a tree in a storm and cracked windscreen, next morning, no waiting - we can cut you a new one Sir!. My brother went in a really old one circa 1981 which had the canvas bucket seats and the windscreen wipers were operated by hand!
Try the Moggie on those wonderful things called speed humps esp in London....Oh and how many kingpins have I seen fail! Heater is crap etc. With mods you can make it bearable ie different seats etc etc OK for pottering but for cross continental touring (try brakes descending the Alps esp Splugen Pass) I'm not sure I'd choose it. It will do it but so will a moped.

Try getting in the back of a Beetle with a 6'+ driver... visibility to rear is awful.

Despite the body roll the 2CV is not too bad and all 3 are loosely contempories (yes I know the Beetle is earlier) so not a poorcomparison. Lancia Aprilia anyone?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I don't like 2cv's...sorry. Wasn't from Caffyns as it has the original dealer plate on the bulkhead.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Vantman
BXpert

Post by Vantman »

Tim Leech wrote:I don't like 2cv's...sorry. Wasn't from Caffyns as it has the original dealer plate on the bulkhead.
Who was the dealer please Tim as i worked for several.
Brian.
2003 Saab 9-3.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I'll have a look, they had 3 sites.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

No offence meant Tim. I quite like the look of Moggies, quintessentially British like the Bowler Hat. Esp the woody Traveller. I've actually done 300 miles in a day in one before now.....
It was more as an everyday hack, I'm not so sure. But then again Morris (BL) stopped circa 72 and the 2CV much later around the same as the BX so usual refinements etc. Can't get at all excited about the Beetle.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Straight out of the Minor into the GT as I did car shuffling ready for the MOT tomorrow. Too more different cars you may not find but both have their charms!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Caffiend wrote:And 2CVs *ducks and runs*
Burn the heretic! :P

I think my views on 2CVs are well established. Let's just say that there are only a handful of cars (out of about 60) that I've kept for longer than a year, and only one longer than two years - now 13! Yup, my little 2CV. In fact, I shall be in it at Stratford next weekend. Feels sooooo comfy after a weekend in the suspensionless Golf.

Yet Morris Minors do charm me in many ways. Usually right up until the point that I drive one again. Wish I had the funds for a Renault 4CV. Smaller, similar in looks to a Minor but even more lethal in the handling department!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

It is odd to the outsider but the appreciation of charms is magnified by having differing cars and swapping between them. Of my stable the BX is clearly the 'best' car but I get huge enjoyment from the others. When its not enough, I sell. So I can see exactly where your coming from.
Morris Minor was a long time ago now and I preferred the A35 to drive. But the MM has that Nurse Gladice Emanuel wholesomeness about it. Memories of Dad and Welsh holidays and a day to get to Harlech fully loaded over central Wales. That old family car is still going, fully restored and as loved as ever it was. Must have been round the clock twice by now. I very occasionally meet at events. Its older than me and in better nick!
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thread Bear wrote: the appreciation of charms is magnified by having differing cars and swapping between them.
This is why I currently don't own a BX. I hate people who run around saying "my classic is the best, all others are rubbish" when they've never so much as sat foot in any of the others! I love 2CVs, but have driven many of the car's rivals and many of those are nice too - they just don't have the wow factor that I want. The wow factor that Tim gets from a Moggy but which I don't.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

TZI mot day...fail....the new steering rack gaiter they fitted last year has come off....half an hour later ive refitted it (and got dirty) and a pass certificate with no advisories!

Oil and fir filter change too ready for CXM...still no reversing lamps though!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well my BX blog for 2013 will be going quiet as its nearly hibernation time, the TZI will get be in the rented council concrete lock up over the winter period, which is my least favourate place (asides my drive) as it get a bit damp. It will have a breathable cover fitted and get started every few weeks and driven round the block

A cheap Citroen winter hack is still in the pipeline but funds for it may be a bit tight as theres even more housey stuff to do, and I would like to get the paint on the Moggy to sort out (aswell as the brakes).
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

A cheap winter hack may have been located, its BX shaped, and snow coloured.....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I'm looking at getting a winter hack, however mine will be Bavarian shaped.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:I'm looking at getting a winter hack, however mine will be Bavarian shaped.

As they will most probably be large and RWD if you get any snow it will soon become a drivway ornament! (and people wont let you out of a junction)
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I was considering a cheap 4 x 4, but couldn't suffer the embarrassment of driving a Suzuki Vitara. A bit too 'Barbie and Ken'!! I'm looking at a BMW 528i. I've got some snow chains in the garage in case the white stuff falls.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.