The Fleet blog and Mollie's restoration at Chevronics.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: The Fleet blog

Post by Thread Bear »

Yes I have done the caring bit and then had the hole of my Mum going left. Not sure my siblings realized how disruptive it was on top of just a bereavement. Life has to be rearranged around yourself rather than someone else and it doesn't feel right. In my case I was not able to take any rash decisions, and I am good at oddball ideas, and looking back most of what I planned to do in that period afterwards would have not worked out as a best solution. Its a time to listen to clues from real and special friends so as not to make a mistake. Difficult times.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thread Bear wrote:Yes I have done the caring bit and then had the hole of my Mum going left. Not sure my siblings realized how disruptive it was on top of just a bereavement. Life has to be rearranged around yourself rather than someone else and it doesn't feel right. In my case I was not able to take any rash decisions, and I am good at oddball ideas, and looking back most of what I planned to do in that period afterwards would have not worked out as a best solution. Its a time to listen to clues from real and special friends so as not to make a mistake. Difficult times.
True bud, so very true. Got the funeral Thursday. See what happens after that. Going i hope, to take a couple of years to sort things out if thats possible before i sell up here and move down to Cornwall which has been my dream. Although that has got me thinking hard as ime going to loose my close friends, however all have expressed a need to visit me often should i go.
Things really dont seem right though at the moment, you are correct about that. Also got some good mates whom are helping me cope.Really been looking after mum since Dad died in 1997 although the really difficult times started on 2007 when she fell down the stairs. Ime sure closure will begin in a few days. Rash ,impulsive decisions wont be made bud, of that i can assure you, painful ones, maybe.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I actually own a rural barn conversion plot up in Cumbria. Also like the Newent Triangle inside the motorways and A40, West Gloucestershire. Somerset. In value and rural beauty the Licolnshire wolds from the Vale of Belvoir down to the fens are very good value and overlooked by many rural house hunters. I looked at all these but in the end I decided I am a born and bred Valesman and this is where I am lucky enough to have some great friends. Why move if I could find the right house. Difficult on my budget, but I managed it, and move from the family pile next week, if fit enough.
Several points.
The Vale of the White Horse is a beautiful place and very central. So its easy to love it.
I had never had a recurring dream to live in any particular place. Only fantasies and ideas of what you could do, including an Hebridean Island community.

The fact is real friends are worth more than pretty much anything else. Its great to be near them but at the same time there is freedom now to do what you always wanted to. There is a balance to be made and no doubt it will make itself in the next year or so. Real friends stay in touch and Cornwall and Devon are places folk do not mind to be visiting. Treat it as a toy to play with the idea and not worry it and karma will probably present the right choice and the right place before you really consciously made the decision. I find many of the best things come that way.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well, managed to replace both drop links on Gloria on Sunday despite the un forcast rain with my mate Tim.
Bit of a bugger, had to get the hacksaw to both of the upper bits but thankfully no taper so all came apart easy enough. One was knackered but dont think drive is much improved but thanks to Tim, i can now do the rest of the fleet myself. Had to buy the tool to separate the droplinks on feeby though. See, ime still learning!!.
Going to learn to mig weld too. Teacher all sorted!!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Went down to see Malcolm again today in the TZD Turbo, had a fuel leak from one of the injectors and learned something pretty basic. The leak off pipe stubby is on the opposite side to that of an n/a diesel, should have known but no one told me and it was spewing everywhere, made the cabin smell gross but glad it was an easy fix. Thanks Malcolm.
The real intention of the visit was for Malcolm to sort the nearside steering rack gaitor which had crumbled to bits of rubber since the last mot and it proved to be the bastard its replacement is known for. However, the man that he is, another masterclass on how to do it followed despite little help from me and much cursing. Job done.
Whilst refitting the intercooler, he noticed that a shiny rubber pipe leading to it at the front had split and having sorted this, what a transformation!! She was quite fast for a diesel but now much smoother and more rapid. Can now draw more fuel from the leak off system on acceleration. Performance greatly improved.
Brought Malcolm back with me, heavily bothered by my wee beasties on his arrival to collect my TGS for its new clutch but i had forgotten to charge the battery thinking it would start just like that but the bugger wouldnt so he took the n/a estate instead to sort the timing belt, water pump and a few other bits including the replacement pedal bracket. Took her on a 60 mile round trip last night, forgot how good she drives.
Cant seem to start Mollie at the moment, took the timing belt covers off, it seems ok so it could be that the heater plugs could be naff, probably original, so will have a go at replacing these shortly. Had thoughts about scrapping her of late, good source of bits for Gloria but i will persevere with her for a while.
Feeling a bit happier at the moment but for a god awful bug which is making me feel right poorly but life must go on.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Cant seem to start Mollie at the moment, took the timing belt covers off, it seems ok so it could be that the heater plugs could be naff, probably original, so will have a go at replacing these shortly. Had thoughts about scrapping her of late, good source of bits for Gloria but i will persevere with her for a while.
Scrap a MK1! - go and stand in the corner until those bad thoughts go away :lol:
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

citsncycles wrote:
Scrap a MK1! - go and stand in the corner until those bad thoughts go away :lol:
Cant stand for long Mike, feeling too ill at the moment so better go lie down. :(
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sorry to hear that - hope you're feeling better soon.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Still feeling a tad, 'ruff', bloody virus just wont let go, however made myself change the MK 2 rad to a Mk 1 on Gloria and bloody glad i did as it was all gunged up inside. Backwashed the system for about 15 mins, refitted the new one and now she is 'purring'.
Needed doing for a while i guess.
Whilst i was doing this, Tim appeared, his missus's BX had developed a slightly serious bleed whilst on the way to the West Country and he, good man had gone after her with his BX to do a swap so that she could continue her journey without any red lights on the dash. Good thing he did cos with the motor up on the ramps, green blood everywhere. It turned out that when the octopus was done about 5 years ago, a return pipe hadnt been pushed home properly and had let go. Managed to get it back ok but not in as fully as he would have liked. Fingers crossed it dosnt pop again.
Mind you, those ramps are a godsend!!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Malcolm was replacing the pedal bracket on the TXD yesterday. These few piccies show where he had reinforced the spare so the problem wont occur again.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

One thing I noticed on my white one, was that the way I adjusted the throttle cable meant the pedal wasn't bottoming out on the plastic stub in the carpet. With use, this would bend and break the accelerator side of the pedal box, like it did in my first tgd.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Got the TXD back form Malcolm today, swapped with the TGS which needs a new clutch.
The timing belt and water pump has been done, Malcolm told me that the belt's teeth had become a tad hard. The pedal bracket along with the clutch cable has also been replaced although that has left the pedal a bit stiff. Possibly this is due to a poor cable, dont know why.
He also managed to remove the ghastly yellow paint which has been plagueing the old girl for many years and welded up a hole in the rear of the body and the exhaust hanger. There are problems that need to be welded around the rear chassis rail and above the rear sub frame that will be done before the next MOT in March and there is a bloody great hole in the nearside rear wing which will have to be sorted by me cutting off a better one from the scrapper. Mind you, she was a cracking drive back from Malcolm's, i havnt pressed her until now due to the need for a cam belt replacement, until now!! Looks even better without the yellow crap.

tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

The octopus leak - poxy thing. What happened was that the strut pipes on the White One both sheared off. Cheap rubber.... so I fitted a new pipe set and while doing it, I pulled the rubber pipe off the inner side of the steel connecting pipes. Come off in me hand - it wasn't the correct pipe and was only a loose fit to the octopus. So I replaced it, which was a bugger, and in the process I managed to pull out the plastic section of tube which fits into the top of the puss. With even more struggle I got that little sod back in place.
But... in pulling the octopus forward slightly, the return pipe at the back, which obviously hadn't been pushed home properly when the octopus was fitted, popped out. Next day the car got as far as Sheet before the hydraulic light came on.... as the wife needed the car for the week and gets a bit squirrelly about her beloved dropping green blood everywhere, I drove the Red One down and we did a swap so she could carry on. I decided to RAC the car home as I didn't at that point know what was going on, and drove down to Andy's next day to use the ramps. It's still holding OK. Yet another argument for having the octopus where you can see it!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Happy Birthday Andy!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Got Wilma home today. A long tow from Ipswich to me and back, borrowed a mates Ifor Williams trailer and went with a pal to get her but no problems other than we could not get her started. Called up a few other buddies and we managed to unload her and get her stashed in the carport reasonably easy with cups of tea all round after.Not a lot of rust but has a hole in a rear wing and the underside looks very good but could not get her started. Am really going to do my best to get this one back on the road and will even learn to mig weld to do this[teacher already arranged]. Rats have been under the bonnet so its a mess under there but am prepared to use Mollie as a donor if i have to. However, things do look different re the fuel primer/filter to any Bx i have seen so far, will post pics of this when ive cleaned her up a bit. Made on 30/10/84 and first registered on 23/11/84 so well in demand then.Image

Andy