BX 17TGD Turbo and I sadly must part

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
BeeEckser

BX 17TGD Turbo and I sadly must part

Post by BeeEckser »

This is my long serving BX that has been in the family since new (G Reg, 1990) and has reliably taken us 170k around the UK and much of Europe. Always looked after, and kept for most of its life in garage when not in use. However it is now getting old and has alas sprung a leak in the hydraulics. I was minded to fix it up, but events have overtaken us. We are now having to move house where there is nowhere to keep it, let alone work on it. One of the harsh realities of life and I just have to be realistic.

About the car; for most of its life it was serviced regularly, mostly by garages in the early years and then by myself. I had no major issues, except for having to replace spheres (twice), replace front struts, and replacement of the rear suspension bearings after they seized. Replacement of the accumulator and regulator valve was the last main issue. Since about six years ago it has rested as a result of my working away, so now the battery is dead. I borrowed a battery off our Picasso, and the BX bless it, fired up first time, and rose on its suspension, despite the leaking LHM. There is no MOT, nor tax disc current.

It has 170k on the clock, and everything else on the car is sound - all electrics appear to be fine, and there is very little rust. The wiper blades also need replacement.

Not sure what else I can say, except that I will be sad to see it go and feel like a traitor. This will be softened if it goes to a good home rather than for scrap which would indeed be a criminal act.

So, I invite offers - if interested PM me or email via asmith@the-old-barn.org.uk Viewers welcome, but anyone buying will need a trailer for collection. Any questions, contact me likewise. Location is Leicestershire.

mat_fenwick

Re: BX 17TGD Turbo and I sadly must part

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dare I ask how much you want for it? And is the leak a drip or a continuous spurt?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I feel your pain. Is Matt tempted?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Looks lovely and hopefully well saveable, if it had had the grey tweed interior it would have been my own personal favourite 100% perfect BX spec. Very good lock with the sale which I'm sure will be imminent. ^^bx>
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BeeEckser

Post by BeeEckser »

Dare I ask how much you want for it? And is the leak a drip or a continuous spurt?

Hi Matt I am open to offers. Drip or spurt - hard to define in objective terms. I would estimate more than the occasional drip, and less than a spurt. Sorry, its probably a matter of close inspection and judgement. Either way it won't pass MOT as it is.

...and thanks for your encouragement, Defender 110.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The reason I was asking is to try and determine which part of the hydraulic system it was coming from - if the high pressure side it will really spurt out, like when you put your finger most of the way over the end of a hose. So it sounds like just part of the return system at fault, which is likely to be a quicker (temporary) fix.

I'm tempted, but there's a possibility of other BXs needing homes in the future so by all means anyone else shout up if they are interested. EBay is likely to get a sale if no interest from here, but please let us know if it seems there is no other alternative but scrapping - as you say it would be a shame so I wouldn't want to let it happen.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vince Pepper
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1989 PH2 16v. White
Seat Leon FR. Whiter

Post by Vince Pepper »

I have made contact with Adrian on this one as I couldn't see such a nice BX go to the scrappy, I hope to go over on Sunday and will report back, don't let my interest stop anyone else making contact though.
Current cars,
BX 16v 1989 white,
Seat Leon FR
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Nice one Vince. I have to say, that had I not got my TGD already I probably would of gone for this. I have to say there is something about a bx in white, but I really can't say what
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That would have been a perfect winter project, but it being so far away and having no brakes etc I must pass it up.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Did anyone snap this up?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Hope so?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
BeeEckser

Post by BeeEckser »

Nope, no snappers yet. I am poised to stick it on ebay. I'll let folks know the reference once its listed.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Vince Pepper wrote:I have made contact with Adrian on this one as I couldn't see such a nice BX go to the scrappy, I hope to go over on Sunday and will report back, don't let my interest stop anyone else making contact though.
Did you go and view it Vince ?
BeeEckser wrote:Nope, no snappers yet. I am poised to stick it on ebay. I'll let folks know the reference once its listed.
If Vince did, he obviously passed on it ?

Hi Adrian,
I see you've advertised it up with your local free media MEEGA.EU , I'd also try the CLASSIC & CAR to get a better coverage to potential buyers and it free (Unlike E-bay and the time wasters that its tended to attract lately) !
mat_fenwick wrote:Dare I ask how much you want for it? And is the leak a drip or a continuous spurt?
You really do need to put a price on adverts too IMHO, so as to attract some interested purchaser :wink:

Good luck with the sale !

:)

Vince Pepper
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1989 PH2 16v. White
Seat Leon FR. Whiter

Post by Vince Pepper »

RxBX wrote:
Vince Pepper wrote:I have made contact with Adrian on this one as I couldn't see such a nice BX go to the scrappy, I hope to go over on Sunday and will report back, don't let my interest stop anyone else making contact though.
Did you go and view it Vince ?
BeeEckser wrote:Nope, no snappers yet. I am poised to stick it on ebay. I'll let folks know the reference once its listed.
If Vince did, he obviously passed on it ?

Yes I did take a look and yes I did indeed pass on it, I have been meaning to post an update but work is super busy, anyway here goes, it is a very genuine straight car, but... The dreaded tin worm has started to take hold, in the boot at the back seam, it is perforated with daylight showing on the n/s and crusty all along the rest, in fairness it is just starting to show in all the usual places ie under o/s washer bottle, top of sill drivers door area etc, the fluid leak is a drip until the brake pedal is pushed then it comes out very quickly, it is coming from above the rear axle on the n/s,
Although it said in the o/p that the car had been garaged most of its life, it has In fact been kept out in the elements for the last 6 years which may explain the tin worm, I would take it on if no one else is interested or it doesn't sell on eBay etc as it's too nice to break or scrap, I have my hands full finishing off the 16v for the foreseeable so it will only sit on the drive awaiting rescue, I couldn't tie Adrian down to price even face to face but if anyone is interested he does have the complete pipe set to sort the leak out which he wants to sell separately as they cost him £150.