Pigeon Restoration

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Re: Pigeon Restoration

Post by mat_fenwick »

BX Bandit wrote:The worrying part was that I could not for the life of me determine the sex of the harmonica player
It's only *really* worrying if you wake up next to them!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Errr, well, yes, although, if male, then not my cuppa, and if female, then nit my cuppa. Either way I couldn't win.

Hair of the dog working, perhaps too well.....
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Right then, coolant leak fixed - check.
Swapped spheres over from my TZD - check.
Re-sealed oil leak on the head -check
No turbo whistling sound -check
Turbo action now positive - check, but not as good as a Garrett.

As far as I know, she's fully operational and ready for duty! Aside from sorting out a matching drop link and a loose passenger door mirror, then I'm hoping I'll not need to touch her till spring, when I hope to fit electric door mirrors (inc auto dip for reverse) front fogs, the correct door cards (-one :(), the Hurricane body kit (rear spoiler, C-pillar trims and door rubbing strip trim) all sprayed up in white, my mk 1 wings and indicators, replace the damaged drivers door, re-paint the sills (possibly in White!) and cure the rust along the sill seams, a pillar, b pillar and the bit that goes in the rear door shuts at the front of the rear wheel arches.

Then I can do,it all again on my Valver..........
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

BX Bandit wrote:Perhaps that fuel boost diagram is leaking, is there an easy way to tell? Never had one off, is it easy? There is no real sign of fuel on it.

Anyone got further ideas on what this noise and lack of boost could be down to?
if the boost diaphram is split the hose to the intercooler will fill with diesel, as will the intercooler, and then you'll know hoe awesome the engine is be how far it will rev before it puts a foot out of bed or bends a valve or 8...

if it's a KKK I'd wager on a sticking wastegate. Especially since it's been laid up for a while.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

It seems to of settled down a bit now mate, still the odd squeal and hesitation, but it's reliable, that's the main issue.
I fitted the leccy passenger door mirror today, no wiring for it yet but at least it stays put.
I also fitted one touch window controls to the passenger side and have worked out a simple way to control the one touch from the drivers side as well, which hopefully I can finish today as it requires a mod to the drivers side wiring. I should of taken photos I guess but didn't quite get round to it. I'm also fitting the matching door cards as I go and I even managed to find the extra door card I needed on eBay so I'll now have a complete matching interior for once!
I may play with fitting the stereo as per my rumblings in the ICE thread as and when the weather permits, but it's really house bound jobs now, inc laying godawful insulation in the loft :cry:
1990 BX TGD White
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

BX Bandit wrote:laying godawful insulation in the loft :cry:
Have fun with that one Image

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

mat_fenwick wrote:
BX Bandit wrote:laying godawful insulation in the loft :cry:
Have fun with that one Image
Oooooh yeah baby! It's one of those modern truss type roofs, where you
A) have no head room to stand up
B) lie down flat like a sting ray to push it to the eves ans spread my err load
C) have to morph into a triangle or become a contortionist to fit through all the gaps
D) have to maintain full body rigidity to meet requirements of C above whilst straddling the truss members to avoid 're-arranging' the Artex. (Yes, I did say Artex :roll: )
All this while wearing a mask, lovely sweaty gloves and a lovely greenhouse effect Tyveck hoody suit. Bare in mind I wear glasses, which very quickly become as useful as two coke cans strapped to your eyes and it becomes a hot sweaty mix of the game of twister and pin the tail on the donkey, with a smidgen of that 'spin round the broom with it on your forehead' game thrown in for good measure.
I now have 370mm over most of the house and still have 9 rolls left!
I must be ill as I went swimming at 9 last night, something is badly wrong!
Anyway, Jam night tonight at the local, happy days! Beers and curry all round....
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I've finally got round to doing a project I though of when I scrapped my Xantia 2.1! That project was to put a 2.1 in a BX but in an xud 7/9 lump with standard head.
In short, it works, I think. I may have an issue with oil in my coolant. I did previously have that issue but remedied the problem, so I don't know if it's residual oil that's just finding it's way to the header tank or if the problem still persists. All I can do is run it for a bit and see what happens.

This then, was an xud9 block that has been bored to take the 2.1 pistons. The pistons and crankshaft and conrods from the xud11 were then transplanted into the bored block and a standard head strapped on. It has the original T2 Garrett turbo as fitted to the 1.7td (identical compressor and turbine wheels were used on the XM xud11). I have a Xsara 110 hdi flywheel and clutch, Pug 307 hdi gearbox and Picasso 110 hdi driveshafts, although sadly I'll have to revert to standard driveshafts and gearbox. On paper the driveshafts work but the n/s driveshaft compresses more on a genuine bx shaft, so cornering on a roundabout compresses the picasso driveshaft solid and makes a nasty noise.

Off the line she really is shit off a shovel and there's plenty of torque to not have to keep changing gear and revving the nuts off like you would the xud7.

Other additions have been the installation of air con. It's all in bar the pipes as I need to have adaptations made whilst they are off the car. I'll do this in the spring.
I've also added the xm/xantia electronic gizmo that dipds the passenger door mirror on reverse.
She's also got fully leccy heated mirrors.
Due to repeated problems with the wash corroding the front spindle on the wiper and getting blocks, I've converted to washer jets for now. They are xm or xantia heated jets and sit below the scuttle so you cant see them although I've had to scallop the scuttle slightly to let the water jets to pass.

Still more work to be done, mostly cosmetic. Effectively she'll be a White Hurricane with 16v bumpers when finished. I'm going to rename her TZD Bandit, or just Bandit for short!

Piccies to follow
1990 BX TGD White
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Impressive work Neil!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Wow, a bit of a 'sleeper'... you ought to get the proper TZD Turbo graphics on the C Pillar with the word BANDIT on place of Turbo... lol
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thanks chaps! That was honestly my thoughts Phil, so much so I even measured up the decal on my TZD scrapper.
1990 BX TGD White