The Fleet blog and Mollie's restoration at Chevronics.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: The Fleet blog

Post by Tim Leech »

Very early diesel then! Well saved.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

How does that boot badging work? Nice TZD badge but its more late '70's script isn't it? Maybe still trendy in the mid '80's, I forget.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thats just a sticker, which was put on for a joke, quite rare now!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Could it be easily removed and saved for someone who might want it?

Andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Here are a few piccies of the 'old girl'.

Seems to have an unusual fuel filter/primer. Maybe a very early type?

AndyImage
Malcolm, note the primer, i think its a type we may not have seen before, unless someone says otherwise of course.

It was a good tow from Ipswich, took about 2 hours each way with no problems whatsoever and borrowed trailer delivered back this morning. Managed to get hold of a few mates on the way back and the 4 of us made light work of getting her off the trailer and into the carport. Cleaned off a lot of the rat attack from under the bonnet but many rubber hydraulic pipes been chewed. Probably best they were replaced anyway.
A
Van gogh
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Van gogh »

Yes I noticed the work of rats :lol: .
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

TZD badge taking the piss a bit but just may leave it. Only those who know will know if you know what i mean.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Mothman wrote:....................
Malcolm, note the primer, i think its a type we may not have seen before, unless someone says otherwise of course.
A
Hi Andy, the Bicycle pump 'Plunger' type fuel filter/primer is a standard fitment which were on the early MK1 diesel's which have a 'All Enclosed Cartridge' type filter (The Blue bit below the main housing), the later models had the Plain paper cartridge filter (Enclosed by the aluminium reusable housing) and then that version too was upgraded/replaced by the type which sits within a housing mounted off the cylinder head !

The same set up (As in your /\ photo) was also seen on the early MK1 Pug 309's (amongst many other Manufacturer/Models too) !

The Cit/Pug replacement filter item #1906.14 or Delphi brand #HDF902, stock up with these below @ £5.95 a pop with free delivery :wink:

LCS-Louth are wanting £7.49 for the same item :-
____________________________________________________________________________________

Heres the Plain paper cartridge filter (As fitted inside the re-usable Aluminium Canister):-
____________________________________________________________________________________

Then the later updated type (Fitted inside a Black plastic housing mounted off the cylinder head), this configuration had the rubber 'Bulb' for priming the main fuel pump !

Click on images for links !

I hope the /\ was of help for you Andy

:)

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Cheers bud,

that was very helpful re the filter, i do think i have a cartridge for it somewhere but the reference number will be very useful too. Hope i can get her on the road again in the not too distant future. She is certainly more all there than Mollie and there are subtle differences, especially with Sophie.

Thanks mate.

Andy
Van gogh
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Van gogh »

Mothman wrote:TZD badge taking the piss a bit but just may leave it. Only those who know will know if you know what i mean.
Sorry did not mean anything dastardly. And since the state is not bad, I'd like to take this if I had the opportunity. One thing I was surprised that you even highly rot cars such as the Citroen BX, kotryh have been galvanized body. Perhaps you have severely damp, because we have a hard to find BX through corrosion.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Have been having a problem with Gloria. Actually came of note when trying to rush home the next day from Cornwall having learned that mum had died the previous evening. Stopped at the gas station about 8 miles from Looe on the A38, filled her up at 6 am and she wouldnt start. Cleaned, brushed and oiled every contact on the input to the starter motor so had to call the AA. Mate did this as i couldnt find my RAC card. Spent about 40 minutes waiting, he turned up, pressed the contact with the starter and she started!![Bloody luck] and we made it home. i had tried everything but to no avail. Happened again in the drive about a month ago and she would not start on the ignition. So, managed to start her with the key in the start mode and a piece of wire touched direct to the battery, worked every time that way. Cant be having this i said to myself and my mate Clive who came down this Friday prior to helping me collect Wilma and who is a fully qualified mechanic went through her electrics with a meter. Nothing live coming from the starter motor but all ok from the auto box lever. Decided that it was possibly the ignition key area[my thoughts too]. He pulled all the surrounds off, easy with a MK 1 and got the ignition system out of the barrel, turned the key and she started. Dissmantled the ignition system which promptly fell apart. What to do as i had put my only new Mk 1 system into Mollie, considered removing all this but i had a nos Mk 2 jobbie which he fitted to the Mk 1 item by removing the steering lock system and replacing it with the old Mk 1 stuff which worked fine. Had to clip a couple of small bits of plastic off the MK 2 unit off but it did the job. Anyone with a similar problem with their MK1 can make a Mk 2 unit fit easy if you reuse the MK 1 lock. Be careful with the spring though!! Job done and she fires up every time but needs a different key to start her. Maybe not so good with the purists amongst you but hell, Gloria aint a pain in the ass to start any more.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Van gogh wrote:
Mothman wrote:TZD badge taking the piss a bit but just may leave it. Only those who know will know if you know what i mean.
Sorry did not mean anything dastardly. And since the state is not bad, I'd like to take this if I had the opportunity. One thing I was surprised that you even highly rot cars such as the Citroen BX, kotryh have been galvanized body. Perhaps you have severely damp, because we have a hard to find BX through corrosion.
Sorry, you cant have her bud!! Unless you have loads of money of course!! [lol].

andy
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Yesterday afternoon i brought the TGS home from Malcolm in St Leonards, having had the clutch replaced, mot and a few other things done plus a valet. She really looks good and is so much better to drive now, no more juddering when pulling away.
I left him with the TZD which has another blood leak and both rear spheres and a window regulator need sorting. Gloria needs an mot shortly so weather permitting this weekend, she will get priority treatment with this in mind.
The TXD will then go back to Malcolm for final fettling and some welding before her mot and then Malcolm will get Wilma for a fair bit of work. Be nice to take her to the X rally.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Whata lovely looking beastie Andy, and you see what I say about the clutch IS true, it makes a HUGE difference.

Well done.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Been having problems starting Gloria of late, could only do so with a wire from the started to the battery with the ignition on, a bit of a pain.
Anyway, she has her mot next week so this morning replaced the nearside strut return pipe and whilst doing it saw some wires through a gap by the gear selector. As i could see that this was easily accessible from the top i pulled off all the 4 contacts, could see all the verdigris and gave everything a good clean with wire wool and dosed with copper lube and off she went first turn of the key. I knew it had to be a simple fix but not knowing where the switch was had foxed me. A 5 minute fix, magic.

Andy