BX TD sprays out coolant from header tank

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Sorry to hear about the continued problem, Jon. Perhaps the old "Jif solution the in radiator" trick might be called for - just to see if it does dissolve anything.

My only other suggestion would be to try and get some kind of contact thermomenter on the top of the head itself and see what that registers. After all, the position of the temp sender in a BX seem to be designed to give misleading or possibly incorrect readings, particularly if there is local superheating and a consequent "steam surge".
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DLM wrote:Sorry to hear about the continued problem, Jon. Perhaps the old "Jif solution the in radiator" trick might be called for - just to see if it does dissolve anything.

My only other suggestion would be to try and get some kind of contact thermomenter on the top of the head itself and see what that registers. After all, the position of the temp sender in a BX seem to be designed to give misleading or possibly incorrect readings, particularly if there is local superheating and a consequent "steam surge".
It was interesting when I cleared my silt & local superheating problem as mentioned above that the heater gave an indication of the improvement. Prior to the Barrs treatment the heater would be noticeably hot within half a mile and after the treatment probably took 2 to 3 miles to achieve the same temperature.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Just a couple of thoughts - You aren't using undiluted anti-freeze are you? Have tried to find a report of Rolls Royce reasearch which I found some months ago which I think recommends 30% as the best combination for heat transfer. - and have spent a fascinating hour learning about the development of the Merlin engine.

If the block was clogged with sludge I would have thought you would have found some evidence when you removed the head and water pump etc. I cleaned up a Mini engine that had been heavily treated with Radweld or something and the stuff was all at the bottom of the waterways and didn't really seem to be elsewhere. If it made any difference I can't say.