Rust in Peace...

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Mothman

Re: Rust in Peace...

Post by Mothman »

A MK 2 bonnet will fit a Mk 1 as long as its a long nose one. You will only get a long nose Mk 2 from a BX 14.
i gather the only Mk 1s with short nosed varieties were the automatics. Tim will confirm this. My D reg Mk 1 has a short nose, being a diesel auto.
If your original bonnet is steel, i can see the only reason to change it would be because its badly corroded.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Stephen

The DTR does indeed have a (long nose) heavy original steel bonnet as most Mk1' diesels did. ALL bonnets are interchangeable be them short or long nosed, but you would need the small grille to go with a short nosed (I have a spare) so you dont have a gap if changing from a longer type.

All 1.4, 1.6, 1.9 carb and 1.7/1.9D hatches (except Meteor and TX models) had long nosed if they were manuals. All estates, automatic, turbo diesels (which had a special undefelt panel with intercooler ducting) and injection models had short nosed to aid with cooling.

You will of course need to have it painted to match. There will be some weight saving and no rust issues but I dont remember the DTR's bonnet being corroded except for some surface rust underneath.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

The DTR does indeed have a (long nose) heavy original steel bonnet as most Mk1' diesels did. ALL bonnets are interchangeable be them short or long nosed, but you would need the small grille to go with a short nosed (I have a spare) so you dont have a gap if changing from a longer type.

However, if you put a short nose on it it would not be right though and as it was such a magnificent restoration, why spoil it.

Andy
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »

Thank you all for your contributions my knowledge has now been greatly enhance, one thing I must make absolutely clear there is nothing wrong with the bonnet that is on the car and I would never ever get rid of it, it will always stay with the car, this is all about myself wishing to have a plastic bonnet, and I agree the restoration of this beautiful old girl was outstanding, maybe mine enthusiasm has run away with me, but I can remember when the Citroen bx came out and everyone talking about the plastic bonnets, and I would never do anything too diminish this beautiful vehicle as will become apparent in time.

So please forgive an old man having a midlife crisis and wanting a plastic bonnet :lol: and again thank you for all of your time to explain things to me, it's really appreciated.

Stephen
MK1 1.9 DTR.............X6
2cv Van....................Napoleon

Honda FRV................Mr H
Honda CRV MK1.........bubble's
Honda Lawn Mower

BMW R100R...............When I grow up I want to be a [Honda]
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If you want a plastic bonnet you're welcome to the one of the GT once the replacements fitted....even if it's just to look at! :D
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »

Tim Leech wrote:If you want a plastic bonnet you're welcome to the one of the GT once the replacements fitted....even if it's just to look at! :D
I Would be Tim, if it was good enough to have it professionally sprayed and could be fitted,

Stephen

Honda Lawn Mower

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It's a short nosed though .
Stephen C
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Stephen C »

Tim Leech wrote:It's a short nosed though .
Thanks for that Tim, I will look for a long nose one, going by what I have read that would be best,
I appreciate your help.

Stephen

Honda Lawn Mower

Leegt

Post by Leegt »

Are the ax gts available???
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Stephen C wrote:
Tim Leech wrote:It's a short nosed though .
Thanks for that Tim, I will look for a long nose one, going by what I have read that would be best,
I appreciate your help.

Stephen
Why do you want a plastic long nose when your metal one does zakly the same job and dosnt need respraying if you cant find one of the same colour? Surely it isnt that difficult to lift the bonnet? I find this very strange as surely you would want to keep the motor as original as possible? It wasnt made with a plastic jobbie so why change it? It wont go any faster[well, not noticeably] so why go to all that bother unless the original bonnet is rusted through. If it is, then go for another metal one.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Leegt wrote:Are the ax gts available???

Everythings for sale.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Were off to Alan's again on Tuesday morning to get an interior for the RD estate and a few small items.

Anyone else need anything?
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Yeah bud, the whole Mk 1!! Can u post it to me please.

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

haha! I will enquire about it to see if its for sale.
Leegt

Post by Leegt »

Would you mind asking a price for the gt's. Dont need to know exact location but where abouts are they ??? Thanks excitedly!! :)