Timex and friends

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Timex and friends

Post by citsncycles »

Back to the 2CV and I then moved to the rear lower edge of the number plate panel:

The rear edge was trimmed off, to reveal rusty but sound metal underneath, however the horizontal surface below the rear light mounts weren't so clever:

While I was doing this, John was tidying up behind me:

The rear panel trimmed, derusted, treated and ready for new metal:

While waiting for stuff to dry, I couldn't resist having a poke!

This also needed repair - where the boot himge panel fits:

New metal was then welded back in:

I then started on a repair that was needed on the A post, until I ran out of light and energy:

Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Your doing a great job mike, wanna earn some cash and weld my estate????
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

May do, but it depends on time scale - I've gotta get some work done on my own motors at some point!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Need it doing sooner rather than later, I can get it done at work but would rather pay a friend.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Time for another update!

I finished the last few welding jobs on the 2CV, it's up to Simon and John now. Simon reclaimed a length of floor reinforcing strip from one of their projects that's getting new floors, so I welded that in rather than just a flat strip:

The A post repair was then welded in...

...followed by a small repair to the sill at the base of the passenger side B post

The area was then briefly vacated in order to let Simon spray the underside of the shell in preparation for it going on the new chassis.

While he was doing this I turned to a little side project that I'd been carrying round in Timex for a couple of weeks, the nose of the H, which as you can see was a little bent!

I managed to straighten it out quite a bit by simply lying it face down on the floor and standing on it! Since this picture was taken I've also straightened out the slats and beat out some of the more obvious creases:

I then carried out what I hope to be the final welding job on this particular project, the lower hinge mounting plate on the front passenger side, which was positioned using the door and tacked in place, then fully welded after removing thedoor again.

Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

While I was working on the 2CV, Timex sprung a leak, that turned out to be the return pipe from the height corrector rubbing on the rear arm. Due to lack of time, space and good weather, the Weston's did a quick repair on this for me, reporting that the cause of the rubbing was the supports for the pipes having rotted off the rail where the subframe bolts, so it's now full speed ahead on Fred (sorry Tim, I guess that answers your question!)

I started at the front driver's corner, as I wanted to change the cambelt. Removal of the wheel revealed a hole under the washer bottle:

The strut return pipes have also failed, so i'll be taking a trip to the dealer for a pair:

The alternator belt looked OK until I removed it, when it revealed severe cracking on the inner surface:

Even worse was the cambelt - I admit I was levering it a bit to get it off the pulleys, but I still didn't expect it to do this!

Not knowing anything about this car, I decided to replace the tensioner and water pump. The latter had been fitted with lots of silicone, and actually showed little wear, but as I already had a new one I fitted it. These are the old parts:

With the replacement pump in place I filled the cooling system with rain water - it seems to hold with the engine off, but I've not had it running yet. Note the original dip tube still in place!

With the engine bits all back together an attempted start failed - traced to (at least) a bust filter head. I've a good spare that I'll fit this weekend when I get a chance to collect the new filter head. In the meantime I started checking electrical items and found the front wiper spindle was seized. Removal of the centre cover showed a completely different animal to Timex under here - Where Timex has the later type blower I assume this is the earlier type. You can also just make out one of the air inlets behind the rear washer bottle - Timex has blanking plates here while I believe most (if not all) mk2's don't have a hole at all!

Removal of the wiper assembly, followed by the motor from the assembly allowed me acces to free off the spindle without damage to the surrounding components.

Reassembly and lubrication had the wiper motor working as it should (albiet with some wear in the spindle now it's freed off) - even the washer hole down the centre is clear! Unfortunately the washer pump wasn't working but as I have to remove the bottle anyway I'll check it later. Removal showed the rot just sterting to cream up the inner wing, along with copious amounts of pine needles:

This is the view from underneath with the liner removed:

The front end looked good other than a sheared bolt, and that's into a clip nut

This hole is under the bottom of the windscreen pillar, so I decided the wing had to come off.

There's also this hole where the clip for the liner went into the sill end:

With the wing off it actually looks pretty good - I hope to have the repairs done this weekend, weather permitting:

Finally, on a different note, the (partly) straightened nose now fits the H!

Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Impressive progress on a few fronts there. =D>
1991 BX19GTi Auto
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

After work yesterday I actually had some daylight and dry weather, so after reattaching the rear exhaust rubber on Timex :oops: I took the top off Fred's injection pump:

None the wiser for that (see tech section!), but with a little bit of daylight left I fell back into my comfort zone and started ripping out rusty metal - bye bye sill endplate (and bottom of sill)

Then removed the worst of the rusty metal from the washer bottle area:

Still needs a little tidying before I can start making repair sections - and I have to check what's underneath that bit with the 2 little holes in, but if it dries out enough I may be able to sort this over a few afternoons after work this week. (yeah, right)
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Decisions, decisions! After feedback in the tech section (basically, Fred's pump is probably a lost cause) I spent a while last night trawling through ebay looking for pumps. It turns out that while pumps for 19TD's are out there for around £50, 17 pumps are at least twice that, and much thinner on the ground. For not much more I found a choice of 19na engines from early Berlingos, Partners and 206's, and even 19TD engines from Synergies, complete with ancilliaries. There's even a couple of low mileage TD engines from early Xsara's out there (60k or less) for less than £200, or around twice the price of a 17na pump.

So, do I keep Fred original, or for a couple of hundred more outlay and a lot more work (ie pull the engine, swap camshaft in the replacement and fit, and possibly look for another gearbox if the original's ratios are wrong) I could build something a bit more exiting to drive?
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

I'd be looking for an engine I think. Just easier all round (apart from being more work)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'd be thinking of an engine swap too - you won't have to make any irreversible mods, which would keep any purists happier as it could always be returned to standard at a later date. As well as being more fun :)

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I must admit, while I've been working on Fred I've keep thinking that there's lots of bits that would improve Timex no end, especially under the bonnet! I just can't bring myself to scrap a saveable car to improve another!

Sounds like decision may be made then - Fred will be getting a new, bigger engine, and if I can find the parts will becone a TD sleeper, while the parts that come out will go towards improving Timex, which is definately on the road to originality where possible! To that end I may have a really good look at Fred's interior, with a view to possibly swapping between the 2 cars, as Timex would have been the same as Fred originally.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Spotted this on eBay Mike http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-M-CITROE ... 27def28990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Should make a good candidate for an engine transplant, plus a nice set of alloys thrown in for good measure. :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Far too good - I'd end up keeping it! I had spotted this, but it's a long way away:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181322668347? ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Would a 2.1 TD lump fit in a BX engine bay?
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.