X Rally 2014 - Sunday 27th April

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Re: X Rally.

Post by Caffiend »

Tim Leech wrote:After today's CCC board meeting this will be covered by the citroen car clubs public liability insurance, they have also asked if we would like to set up a BX group and arrange rallies in the future?.
What's in it for us? We have a BX group. This sounds like work with no "payback" (e.g. Events organiser seat on board?)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

At least we're receiving due recognition from the CCC. Plus the potential to raise the profile of both the BXC and the BX.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:At least we're receiving due recognition from the CCC. Plus the potential to raise the profile of both the BXC and the BX.
Yeh that.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

mds141 wrote:At least we're receiving due recognition from the CCC. Plus the potential to raise the profile of both the BXC and the BX.
Informally. Which is worth SFA, frankly. If CCC want to give BXC the honour* of organising events then IMO someone from BXC who is involved with the extra work needs some clout with the CCC to be able to promote improvements/ ideas, not just be under orders to be CCC Board gofers. I know Tim is on the Board, that's in his CCC member capacity though: I'm suggesting that BXC has a seat 'formally' in recognition of the importance of events organisation to the CCC.
1992 Hurricane
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

And then the politics start and the enjoyment ends!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Wind your necks in! There's no politics. I said I'll discuss it, only if it stays informal, no chairman , treasurer, meetings or all the associated stuff. The bxc does have a seat on the board, I'm it and I fight our corner so no backbiting please. There's no spare seats right now and to be honest it's a thankless task which costs money and time (I drove 230 miles today, spent 5 hours driving and had to pay for my own sandwiches!), all I get is National free rally access but thats all (I pay my £30 membership too).

If it costs us nowt and gives us recognition then why not think about, there's no hidden agenda. Just a few people have asked why there's a separate BX club to the CCC. So if we want a BX register/section of the CCC we can aswell as this forum if we wanted.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

As long as the BXC - as CCC events organiser - *keeps* a seat on the Board if Tim steps down or is voted off. Otherwise, I can see it now: an event loses money or gets a bad rap 'cos of freak weather conditions or impossible traffic on the main route - and CCC will say "BXC organised that, nuthin to do with us". Formalising our position as CCC BX register and organising events in that capacity - as a sub-set of CCC and not an independent entity (as we are at the moment) - that would work.
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Sorry Sandre, I think your being too cynical on this one, there will be no "them and us."If we want to have a separate register or section at our the CCC rallies we can but I don't know if it will make a difference, the CX section organises the CXM and the DS obviously the DSM and the regionals do their thing.

Maybe we could make the X Rally our own so to speak.... The B"X"Rally?
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Sounds like a very positive outcome to the board meeting to me. It'd be completely unreasonable to expect that the BXC should somehow have automatic representation on the board - no other section or model register gets that - why should it?. If we organise events we do it as CCC members who also happen to be BXC members - if you don't want to do it under those terms, no one's forcing you. It also diffuses any putative 'rivalry', which as far as I'm concerned never even existed in the first place. There is not, and should not, be anything 'in it for us' save the satisfaction of making a successful contribution to a club that we all enjoy belonging to. Standing around having a moan about who gets to be the monkey, and who gets to be the organ grinder just sounds like completely counter-productive whinging.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

OK, so we started with this:
Tim Leech wrote:After today's CCC board meeting this will be covered by the citroen car clubs public liability insurance, they have also asked if we would like to set up a BX group and arrange rallies in the future?.
which read to me as if CCC were after a group of us organising a number of CCC events/being generally responsible for CCC events organisation (it was not clear at this point that they were offering to set up a BX Register). Being event organisers for the CCC overall is an entirely different matter from:
Tim, later wrote:Maybe we could make the X Rally our own so to speak.... The B"X"Rally?
which I absolutely agree should be on the terms of
Paul296 wrote:If we organise events we do it as CCC members who also happen to be BXC members
I'm really not clear as to what was agreed: is the CCC offering us a section with the same privileges/responsibilities as the others (again, I agree that this would be absolutely fair)
or
are they after us - as the youthful upstarts with theoretically more energy - to take on responsibility for a big chunk of CCC events?

If the second, then this should be under CCC auspices and not BX Club or
Tim wrote:a BX group
and I would expect the person with overall responsibility for organising/overseeing/delegating organisation of a club's events - which are a MAJOR part of the club's activity - whoever they are, whichever section they belong to, to be on the club's board.
1992 Hurricane
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Tim Leech wrote:Wind your necks in!
It wasn't out!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

It's a car club - that's all. We do it for fun. It's a few old French cars that turn up in a muddy field to have a cup of tea and a laugh. How can you turn that into some bureaucratic, legislative bloody nightmare about who gets to wear the hat, and whether we're the People's Popular Front of Judea or the Judean Popular Peoples Front! Either you roll your sleeves up and make stuff happen, or you don't - that's it. Honestly - life's too short.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

How I see it is this, the BX club are a growing bunch of enthusiasts who make noise, do stuff and get noticed, which have been noted by some of the CCC. The board is very much aware that the membership is slowly declining, a major factor of this is age of its members, we have lost 2 stalwarts of the club in the past 6 weeks, both were elderly and had been members for 30+ years, so would very much like to encompass this within the CCC, bearing in mind most of us met and became the friends we now are at a CCC Rally for the first time did we not?.

I admit the board asides myself is mostly older guys, but they do their bit (as they have more time), Bill Cameron the treasurer does the job of an unpaid accountant and is very good at what he does, Chris Burjmaster edited the magazine for 10 years and has been helping Adrian Chapman to get it back on track whilst Ray was unable. Derek Shorter is a very poorly man but still spent all day cooking food at the CXM and Alan Kemp is very active in the eastern section and is a key player in the bigger events.

As for Nigel, the amount of time he gives up to the marque and the club is quite something, recently driving 500 miles (unpaid) in one day alone to get the old club computer to Adrian from his home in Leeds to Weybridge so the magazine wasnt delayed anymore, it was his suggestion to bring the BX section (he was round our NEC stand alot in 2012 and 2013 and has owned many BX's and knows more about them than me!) etc on board as most of us are CCC members....this would NOT mean thay those of you who arent would have to join up (although I still think its £30 well spent, and will save you twice that if you take advantage of some of the offers).

If we did set one up, we would have maybe an extra sticker in the window and thats about it, but it would mean that under the umbrella of the CCC we will be covered by their PLI (which would be the only priviledge).

So I reiterate, there is no hidden agenda, no trying to get us to organise rallies unless we want to, although we seem to have done very well with the NEC (our stand looked better - fact) and looks like we will be doing the X Rally as well so I dont see a problem.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Well said Tim :)
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

An observation from a aging newbie.

A recognition of ability is a compliment. The BX would once have been 'not a Citroen'. All the usual. Time has moved on, owners age. My view of the BXC is that it is a couple of generations younger than me, in the main, and the members have energy, drive and cars as yet to really be recognized as established Classics. That the CCC has the sense to recognize this early is good. Its good for BX too, longer term. If there is a cause of concern in how to link then I think it is for the BXC to respond with what the view of our world is, to see if it fits what the CCC view of what they see things becoming is.

I have yet to have confirmation of the rules of BXC event organization and PL insurance to go ahead on Castle Combe. There is talk of pub nights. Traditional events to be done, more infrastructural investment for car shows by donation and raids abroad. This with no real structure or club funding scheme. There is something here, a will to innovate events and participate. There is currently little to protect in the club but BXers freedom of action. That could dramatically change in 5 years, and believe me, when money gets involved getting consensus is very much more difficult. Sure the CCC probably need an injection of talent to replace lost stalwarts, but as long as the governing body are not a closed group of stiffs, there are clubs with the living dead in charge, which fail to achieve badly, I would think this is to the advantage of the majority. Seats at the board will come to those who are active, if the top is a healthy meritocracy. But rather than a set of assumptions, some proper dialogue sounds as if it is required.

Event organization is ever the product of a minority. Perhaps BXC is rather blessed with the willing at the moment. None the less you have to remember some of these older guys have organized their Rallies years ago. They may have done their bit and become more sedentary. I had this stick wielded at me recently till it was pointed out to the newcomers I was a principle organizer of many events in the 80's and early 90's, but preferred the background work rather than dishing out prizes or shouting down a megaphone. I do not know these people in the CCC but it would be wrong to not look at what their achievements have been, as well as what they are saying now.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars