Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Re: Mat's BX Blog

Post by mat_fenwick »

Back into commuting duties for the BX today!

It fired up exactly the same after 3 months standing as it usually does, which was encouraging, and no (new) leaks! Nice to have a bit more comfort too. New indicators and headlamps now on, and getting covered with road grime already...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Such a great looking car. Glad she's back in service.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

It is a fine looking estate without a doubt and I don't even like red cars.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Aww, thanks! Really enjoying being back behind the wheel actually (more than I thought) and partly wishing I'd taken that down to France. Not that the Focus did badly, but I missed the extra torque when cruising, and it's got a bit of a vibration around 80 mph. Which became rather annoying after 1000 miles in a day! I hadn't realised this until well into the journey, as opportunities for that speed around here are somewhat limited!

It was actually more than that on the way down as I detoured via Oxford to pick up a set of exhaust manifolds for the V8, and stopped off at a mate's north of London. Then we found that the Col du Lauteret was closed due to falling snow, so a rather large detour north again to go through the Frejus tunnel. Arriving there in the early hours after a long day, my mood wasn't improved when I found that it was €52 return, and was closed in my direction for the next hour!

The morning after we arrived!

Still, it was a good holiday, and we managed to bring some wine back with us. Ariived at the Chunnel 3 hours early and was prepared for my wallet to take a beating when the lady said there was room on the next train, but she'd have to charge us - having previously had to pay more for the amendment on the ferry than the original ticket cost. This time though, it was a whole 6 Euros!!! Had to smile too in the petrol station in Shresbury on the way back - it was the early hours and the girl behind the counter conversationally asked whether we had far to go. I told her "Not far" and where we lived (another 70 miles or so) and she said something like "Still a fair way then". I couldn't resist telling her we'd driven from Italy that morning!

Oh well, I'm sure there will be other chances to take the BX back to France in the future...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Had a dry weekend, and went for a bit of a drive over the moors in the BX. The light was good, so decided to get a few shots.

It looks like it's riding a touch high in this shot so will have to look into that - I know there is some slack in the HC linkages so normal ride height is higher if you are approaching it from high. And the road was very undulating, so I reckon it's riding high after a bit of a hump. Got a brand new HC to go on, and then I'll rebuild the one which comes off to go at the other end. The linkages I'll sort out at the same time.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

With all the mention of subframe mounting points I thought I'd better check mine - it's something I've been meaning to do for ages. The seem pretty good, but I didn't get round to filling them with wax this weekend as it started raining. I happened to notice today that both sides were wet inside! I don't know how it's getting in, but a bit of a worry and glad I found it now.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

If you're lucky it's getting in there through a dodgy door seal. Otherwise check the rear arches and the back of the sill - I can't think where else it'd be coming from.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Update to the above - couldn't find any water getting in again since I dried it out, so sloshed some cavity wax in there and closed it all up again.

BX was in danger of tarnishing its reliability record at the weekend - first of all there was nothing from the starter motor after a brief stop, so I can to bridge the solenoid to main +ve terminal on the starter to fire it up. This turned out to be deteriorating contacts in a relay I put in late last year to bypass the ignition switch...not a good lifespan! But an easy fix.

Second problem was a few miles later when there was a clattering noise coming from under the bonnet. Opened it up to find that one of the 5 ribs on the alternator/AC belt had snapped and was flapping around. A few minute job to slice it off and continue, but a couple of miles further along there was another noise and the charge warning light came on. Totally shredded.

As it was raining heavily, I decided not to fit the spare by the roadside, but just to cut away the remains and continue on battery power alone as we were only about 30 miles from home. The puzzling thing is that the belt was only 35k miles and 3 years old, with no sign of perishing. I'd have thought that if I'd overtensioned it (which I doubt), it would have failed sooner. Poor quality belt?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

What make of belt did you fit Mat. I've found Gates belts to be excellent in terms of longevity.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote: Poor quality belt?

Or alternator seizing or air con clutch seizing?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It was QH, or at least marked as such... I've not really done enough comparison to find that one make lasts longer although never had a problem with Gates or Dayco stuff. Had one belt on the HP pump which would slip no matter what the tension, so guessing it was made from harder rubber; and a similar one on the van driving the alternator - tightened it up every day for a week after fitting, until it snapped!

Something seizing was my first thought too, but alternator and compressor are fine, as are the tensioner and idler pulleys :?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I had the front bearing on the alternator sieze up. It made some relatively unidentifiable noises accompanied by faint burning smells immediately prior to jamming up completely, so it gave me some warning but not very much, and when it jammed solid then engine wouldn't run at tickover due to the extra load and so I couldn't run the engine to have a look under the bonnet - and if I did keep the engine running there was loads of smoke coming from the bonnet so I had to shut down quickly. At the time I though it might be smoke from something going wrong electrically within the alternator - didn't think it could be a stationary alternator and the belt smoking. So it took 2 people to identify the problem on that occasion -one to keep the engine running and one to look to see where the smoke was coming from - so not identified until the very nice man from the AA arrived (very very late ! )
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

I even had the front bearing replaced in my alternator as it was squealing badly - turned out the belt was rubbing very slightly on the bottom cam belt plastic!
A 4 rib belt solved the problem until I replace the cambelt and plastics sometime soon.
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I've now owned my BX for 10 years to the day, in which time I've covered 130,610 miles. Time for a service today, so I changed the oil and filter (for the 26th time), the front brake pads (7th time) and cambelt (4th time). Not that I'm counting...

New belt on:

Looks like my car has taken up smoking!

I made a tool some time ago to wind back the pads with a ratchet spanner:

Job done :)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

That airbox is filthy, i always give mine a hoover out everytime i did an oil change, also hoovered the K&N for good measure as well. The dirt seems to get solid next to the grid lines, so i just get a flatblade screwdriver & gouge out all the crap & then hoover it out. I did the C5 & was surprised to find the design slightly different even though the BX filter is exactly the same. It's got a tube shaped section which gets narrower the further down you go, it was full of bloody leaves, i suspect it hadn't been cleaned ever. The paper filter was also looking well past its best, so i replaced it with the K&N from the TXD that David took, jobbed :)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.