Was Dollywobbler's 1988 19RD estate

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Was Dollywobbler's 1988 19RD estate

Post by Dollywobbler »

So, I'm back in a 19RD estate, but a Mk2 this time. First time I've owned a Mk2 BX with a clock in place of the rev counter. Shame it doesn't work...

There you can see it next to my Discovery, which was exchanged for the BX and some cash. I've already fixed a misaligned driver's window, which wouldn't shut properly. Easy fix as two bolts were loose. Desperately needs new engine mounts, as it suffers massive transmission shunt. Would just the top one solve it do you think and where's the best place to get one?

It desperately needs a clean, and will hopefully get one this afternoon.

It still has the wrong wheel trims (it belonged to RobT and Catsinthewelder of this parish before me), and I don't much like the new-font front number plate. Sadly the old one cracked. Had a slight leak from the nearside strut return, but I think it was just misaligned, as the pipes are sound. Exhaust is a bit hopeless but she drives well. Nice and floaty.

Rust protection is high on the agenda too, as is driving it to Kent and back next week. It does keep flashing the low coolant (with the oil light too alarmingly) light on bends, but the levels seem fine.
Last edited by Dollywobbler on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat_fenwick

Re: Dollywobbler's 1988 19RD estate

Post by mat_fenwick »

Having followed you round Welsh roads, are you quite sure it's not oil starvation from over-enthusiastic cornering? I can't remember all the lights that the oil pressure sender is linked to, but the coolant lamp is one of them - the purpose being to test the warning lights with the ignition on but engine off (and hence no oil pressure). Egg sucking tuition over...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I have a spare bottom engine mount bush if you need it.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

It's more simple than that Mat. There's sod all oil in it! Dipstick came up bone dry. Have dashed to town (in the Sirion) to get some fresh oil. Hope it's not damaged - there is some odd vibration coming from the engine, but that might be mount related. I think the upper mount is the problem as you can quite easily rock the engine back and forth by hand.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

(copied from another forum)
Happily, PSA engines seem happy with barely any oil in them, as I recall from when I met Mrs Wobbler and her AX. Topped up and it seems no noisier than usual. Which is fairly. With the panic over, I could set about the wash cycle.

There's something very satisfying about cleaning door shuts. A quick wipe and they looked like this.

That's a common rot spot. It's perfect! A bit starting the other side.

I went to find some sunshine.

I didn't quite wait long enough for the bumper to dry. This is one end of the Shitefest Cymru venue.

I failed to lock focus on this one, but I'll be taking more pics when I've cleaned it up inside a bit. Very rare colour.

The Fleet
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Looks a tidy old bus Ian. Well done. :)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I have a few 'WANTED' items if anyone can help.
Bonnet stay rubber - it won't stay in the hole for some reason (oo-er missus).
Dash bulbs, including satellite switchgear. What type do I need again? How do you get the satellite switches out and apart? (fog light, HRW etc)
Upper engine mount. Are there many different types?
The fasteners that hold the plastic scuttle panel in place. This one seems to lack them.

The clock doesn't work. Is this common? Still makes an infuriating noise. I do prefer the digital one...
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The bonnet stay rubber was U/S on mine Ian. I just replaced it with a rubber grommet.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

'The BX is pretty close to motoring perfection in many ways. Few cars manage to mix limousine comfort with the load lugging ability of a small van, while delivering 50mpg and handling that delivers plenty of entertainment. As I reminded myself at the NEC Classic Motor Show last year, I really do adore the styling of the BX too.'

I couldn't have put it better myself. When I first saw a BX I thought 'that's bonkers', but once they start to insinuate themselves into your conciousness, not only do they look lovely, but make perfect sense in every other way too. I think that's probably a Citroen 'thing' as well as just a BX thing.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I'd better add a screenwash pump to my wish list. Anyone got a spare? The rear one doesn't work. Have removed it and wired it directly to the battery and it's deader than Chaucer. Doesn't look like you can take them apart either.

On the plus side, it's absolutely immaculate beneath the rear washer bottle! Have cleaned it out and will give it a dose of wax before putting the bottle back. That said, wax is likely to just make it sticky, so perhaps I'll just leave it at a good clean.

Right. Now for more incredibly important work. The rear wiper is out of alignment.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dollywobbler wrote:Right. Now for more incredibly important work. The rear wiper is out of alignment.

Good man, now you also need to locate some correct wheel trims! :D
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:That said, wax is likely to just make it sticky, so perhaps I'll just leave it at a good clean.
Sticky, but water repellent. Perhaps a compromise would be a coat of bodywork wax, but don't polish off the excess?

The washer motor is common to a few PSA vehicles, so nice and cheap on eBay!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Mat. Duly ordered. I've opted for the Dynax UB underbody wax, as it tends to dry to a nice, hard coating. I'm not going to put the washer bottle back sans pump, so it's got some time to dry out. I'll whip the driver's bottle out at some point.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

More pictures. From Facebook. Just to prove it can be done if you're got the right technology Tim. ;)

Tanfield Citroen is still going apparently, in Surrey.

Check out the light grey after a good clean.

Seats are starting to fray. May have to resort to covers to keep them healthy.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Dollywobbler wrote:More pictures. From Facebook. Just to prove it can be done if you're got the right technology Tim. ;)

Tanfield Citroen is still going apparently, in Surrey.
Hi Ian, I'm not sure if there where possibly more than one 'Tanfield Dealerships' however I do know that my 2.5TD VSX came from 'Tanfield' in Horsham which are STILL trading and is the one and only 'Tanfield' in the SURREY area !

Only I remember the announcement posted by Phil C TANFIELD RIP a while back, perhaps this was a different one near to where he lives :?
Philip Chidlow wrote:TANFIELD GARAGE
are sorry to announce they ceased trading on Saturday 28th February 2009 and would like to thank their loyal customers and staff for their support spanning over 70 years.

These were, in my experience, a really helpful lot, and many a BX is driving around with their sticker in the back window...

Sign of the times.
If Phil see's this post, he maybe able to clarify the /\ ?