Clocks

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Clocks

Post by Dollywobbler »

The analogue clock in the RD's isntrument binnacle doesn't work. Furthermore, it makes a bloody horrible noise. Has anyone ever tried to fix one? Alternatively, can I cut the power to it easily? I really need to remove the binnacle to replace some bulbs anyway.

Secondly, is the wiring loom standardised across models? ie if I was to turn all heretical and replace the grey oddments tray on the top of the dashboard with black one (and its digital clock) would I find the plug sitting there waiting for use?
adamskibx
BXpert

Re: Clocks

Post by adamskibx »

Mine makes a noise as well, but no worse than the loudest household clock. It could be that the needles have lost grip with the axles. Also, I am sure any watch repair shop would be able to fix it.
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

I added a LCD centre clock to an RD & the wiring was not there. I think you need a permanent live, ground and a switched live connected to the head/side light circuit so that the lcd dims when the lights go on.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

adamskibx wrote:Mine makes a noise as well, but no worse than the loudest household clock. It could be that the needles have lost grip with the axles. Also, I am sure any watch repair shop would be able to fix it.
This one is a LOT noisier than a household clock. Which is especially annoying as it doesn't actually work. I dislike analogue clocks anyway, so think I'll proceed with something digital. Thanks for the tips sdelasal.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

It varies from model to model. I put a digital clock in my BX meteor & it already had the plug waiting for me.
However a TGD I looked at years ago didn't have the said plug.

As for the analogue clock, some are noisy & some are quiet. The one in my meteor made a racket, but the one in the TGD I saw years ago was perfectly quiet. Could it just need some grease on the cogs? The live wire for it, is in the green plug on the back of the instrument panel, But I have never needed to know which so I haven't looked. Otherwise you could just unscrew the PCB off the back of the clocks' contacts to stop it.
I might have a spare analogue clock if you want it (the one out of mine), It would just be a case of getting it from me to you.

As for the digital clock wiring it has 4 from the factory, but it only needs 3 wires; constant live, neutral & switched live. Just the dimmer wouldn't work then.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

watch
Attachments
004.jpg
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Dollywobbler wrote:
adamskibx wrote:Mine makes a noise as well, but no worse than the loudest household clock. It could be that the needles have lost grip with the axles. Also, I am sure any watch repair shop would be able to fix it.
This one is a LOT noisier than a household clock. Which is especially annoying as it doesn't actually work. I dislike analogue clocks anyway, so think I'll proceed with something digital. Thanks for the tips sdelasal.
Fair enough. Mine is the same volume as a household clock but has 4 beats per second instead of one so I can understand why if it was load it would be a pain. I would like a digital one, but then what would you do with the clock space in the dash? A rev-counter would be nice but not really required on the models without one originally. In fact, they are not required at all unless your deaf.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I like the watch!

Is it quite easy to change the clock? That'd ultimately be the preferred option I guess, as it's what it should have originally.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

The digital clock needs a 0v (ground / earth), permanent 12v, ignition, and a connection to the sidelights feed.

Permanent 12v is needed to keep the clock running.

Ignition illuminates the bulb which is grounded through a 68 ohm resistor and also through a diode connected to the sidelight filaments. When the sidelights are switched on the bulb is only grounded through the 68 ohm resistor so it's not so bright when the lights are switched on. When the sidelights are switched off then the bulb current goes via the diode and through the sidelight filaments to ground so it's important that the sidelights are fitted and working. The clock bulb is a lower wattage than the 2 sidelight bulbs so it illuminates in preference to them when the sidelights are unpowered.

I've seen a variety of different bulbs used from 1.2W to a couple of watts. The main difference is in the side of the PCB the bulb contacts are. Working partly from memory here - if you have a Jaeger or Sato clock then you should be able to use the same bulbs as are in the dash, the contacts for the bulb being visible / on 'this' side of the PCB. If you have a Borg or (IIRC) a Valeo then you'll need a bulb holder with the contacts on the other side.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Dollywobbler wrote:Is it quite easy to change the clock? That'd ultimately be the preferred option I guess, as it's what it should have originally.
Providing you have some very small sockets or spanners (Can't remember what size exactly, could be 4,5 or 6 mm) then its very easy to change the analogue clock.

You have to get the instrument panel out of the car, then unclip the plastic time adjusting knob on the clock (it just pulls off), unclip the plastic covering the gauges, then there is 2 bolts in the clock one above & one below (these are where the tiny sockets come in), undo them & then turn your cluster over. There is 2 bolts on the back (these are where it gets its power) undo these & it should drop out (again these are tiny).
The glue sometimes holds it in, if so just give it a little push from behind. You can pull out the black blanking plug to get your finger behind it to help. I don't think there are any more screws on the clock (unlike the rev counter when fitted). Once its out you can attempt to repair it or put another one in.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Dollywobbler wrote:I like the watch!
Indeed, going round a roundabout you can see the time in Jakarta. Damned handy in this day and age! :lol:

Gary now has no speedo, no rev counter and a clock that you cannot see. Indeed the only information of use it is willing to impart, is the fuel level. Worse than a stroppy girl friend. :lol: So a task to do once the Auto has some more tweaks into regular service is a long overdue dashboard fiddle. Pity there is not a French trained mole to do this as my hands are not designed for fragile and small spaces. The original clock in the bit box is not the best thing on the road though. OPtions interesting.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I fitted a centre clock to my TDG Auto and the wiring was already there. My dash clock works silently but as I own and drive a TZD as well I was in the habbit of looking to he centre pod for the time.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Again Ian, theres plenty of the right sort of clocks at alan Goodyears, the clock on my RD does work, and is silent but looses a few minutes here and there!!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....