Paul's polishin' blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Re: Paul's polishin' blog

Post by Paul296 »

If the wings have disappeared next time I go over there I'll know where they are Tim! :wink: :D
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

After a six month hiatus languishing under cover, my 17TGD has returned to the road with a fresh MOT, bringing much needed Gallic charm and 'best car I ever hadness' to the high roads and by-roads of Newark-on-Trent. If the good people of Newark knew just what a marvellous car this is, they would have thronged the streets and hurled ticker tape from skyscraper windows, but they don't, so they didn't, and anyway there aren't any skyscrapers in Newark-on-Trent.

It passed its MOT with no advisories, although it did need new front discs and pads quite badly. The rear arm bearings were sorted, as well as adjustment to the hand brake and throttle cables; the latter has caused a noticeable increase in performance, which in this particular car, is no bad thing. For the past six months it's stood idly by while the Hurricane received new paint, a great deal of attention and a trip to the NEC (that must have stung!*). I'm really looking forward to driving it again, and while it's a 'BX' and the Hurricane is a 'BX', I'm reminded that they are completely different cars.

* If cars had feelings like people, but obviously they don't
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Looks great Paul .
I think that the tailblazer really suits the car.
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Gary wrote:Looks great Paul .
I think that the tailblazer really suits the car.

Agree!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Looking bloomin lovely Paul. Congrats on the fresh ticket. :-)
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I know tailblazers divide opinion, and they are a bit of a pain, but I really like them and - I agree - it does suit that car particularly well. With the spoiler and the factory alloys it even looks enthusiastic performance wise - it's not though. Although the throttle cable adjustment has made a surprising difference.
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Paul296 wrote: With the spoiler and the factory alloys it even looks enthusiastic performance wise - it's not though. .
With it looking that good I wouldn't worry about the performance just enjoy it. :D
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I don't to be honest with you Gary - a performance car would be wasted on me. :) The nicest thing about it is that the suspension is very soft compared to the Hurricane and feels much more like a Citroen.
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

Looking very nice Paul, will she be at Wetherby or will it be the hurricane?

Mark
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

It'll probably be the TGD - after a monumental valetting session. :D
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Taking the bumpers off my Hurricane so that they could be re-painted ready for the NEC revealed quite a bit of rust. Not that bad, but bad enough to require a bit of remedial work in order to put them straight. I was hoping to get them done before the NEC but it's taken me until now to bag Shaun for an afternoon. As usual he's made a lovely job of it and once it's all re-undersealed and waxoyled it should be good for the foreseeable future.

The front bumper hanger was a bit worse than anticipated but was still a fairly straight-forward repair. It was dark by the time Shaun had finished the repair and cut a hole for a new bumper bracket, so the bumper was left off - he's coming over next weekend with a new bracket to put it all back together. This gives me a chance to clean up, under-seal and waxoyl all of the front of the car and keep that wretched tin worm at bay! Although there wasn't a sign of rust anywhere else behind the bumpers - not bad for one of those 'rusty' Hurricanes.

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

from the state of the panel off the welder in that top picture, it's nearly as battered as my last one was, which took a lot longer to die than I expected.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

While the front bumper was off I cleaned all the front end of the Hurricane today, treated any bare metal with Jenolite (I'd run out of Kurust) and thoroughly pickled it all in Waxoyl. Apart from the frilly bumper hanger the rest of it was clean as a whistle more or less. Hopefully it'll stay that away now - for the foreseeable future at least.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

happy birthday Paul! The BIG 50!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Tim Leech wrote:happy birthday Paul! The BIG 50!
Thanks Tim. Is it really that long since I've posted on this blog!?

Not that much to report BX wise, although I have moved house recently, given up smoking (I hope), finished my MA and now qualify for the 'Sun Life Over Fifty Insurance Plan'; 'Good grief' as Charlie Brown would say. Anyway, the TGD is still on the road until the end of October, when the Hurricane will be recommissioned.

Before it goes away - having completed around 2000 miles this year - I'm hoping it'll be getting new tyres all round and both front-door hinges need a seam weld as they've cracked a bit. There's no rust at the moment but there will be if I leave it. Apart from that, routine maintenance and repainting the rather tatty door surrounds - it just keeps on going. Probably the best 300 quid I ever spent.

Oh, and it's got a new sticker and car cover as well. 8)