Timex and friends

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: Timex and friends

Post by citsncycles »

The only difference I know of in the casing is the new level plug in the end of the box, and according to the book of lies this was added in 1986, 3 years before the BE1 box was phased out.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The sensor is on top of this gearbox, although obviously not a concern for a diesel engine...

More information here but the gist of it is the BE1 boxes after '87 had the sensor hole so mine may have well been a later BE1 mis-advertised as a BE3. Meaning that my earlier experience with the linkages may or may not be true! I'm guessing a 205 forum might be a good source of knowledge although sprinkled with a good dose of know it alls!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Been off shift for a couple of weeks, so here's a quick catch up:

Got given a passenger sun visor for Timex - it's a Mk2 item and a bit scruffy but it's still progress!

A couple of days later this happened - one of these keys are not like the others! luckily it only fits the ignition and the rest of the key is inside, so it still works:

Had a quick look round the pick up, and found these treasures in the cab draw. These included a couple of late 60's brouchures for Fiat 124 and Peugeot 204 (I think), a load of punch time cards, a couple of invoices and a load of leaflets from a vinyard. I suspect the Vinyard was a previous owner, and it looks like this truck came out of service around 1970.

There was also the remains of this sticker on the draw - I'm tryingto find out what the rest looks like as it may help with axle weights etc.

I then removed the cab floor - this all clamps in, and gives fantastic access or working on the truck

Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

We then had a dry week forecast, so I pulled the windscreen out of Fred:

As expected, I found some rust:

I cut away the rot at the top of the screen to find more rust underneath

With everything cut away I could start making the repair pieces

First piece welded in - note the fire blanket and sheet of steel protecting the interior

Corner repair welded in

The final piece made up and primed underneath ready for fitting

Welding completed on this part of the screen - it'll need a bit of skimming but should be OK

A quick run round the surround with a wire wheel in the grinder to remove the old sealant showed up some more holes here

The rot cut out of the bottom corner

The first piece back in and the welds and edges cleaned up with my latest toy - a power file.

Bottom corner repair completed welding wise

This hole, together with another at the top by the aerial I decided to fill with weld and grind back

The whole surround then got a coat of primer and tip coat, ready for the new screen, which is hopefully being fitted Wednesday.

Finally, a quick pic of Timex when I found an even older car to park next to in town:

Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

Did you have to drop the roof lining at the front ? Im looking at getting the windscreen surround on mine done soon as its getting worse
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Yep - removed the sun visors and their central mounting plate, plus the pillar plastic trims - careful with these as they are brittle (I have to get the glue out on mine!). As you have a sunroof you may have to undo some more stuff where the console for the roof swithes and map lights are. I then managed to drop the front of the lining enough that I could slide in a piece of sheet steel plus a fire blanket to protect it from where I was welding. As you have the sunroof it may actually be worth dropping the whole head lining so that you can check and service that assembly while the rest is being done.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Time for another catch up, look what the windscreen fairies left me while I was at work last week!

Of course, the first thing I did was this:

The roof repair needs a littl more smoothing, which if I'd have had time I'd have completed before the screen went in, but Fred's now water tight!

Last weekend, my attention turned to this lump, which has been sat in Timex since I collected it a few weeks ago:

First I removed the butchered drive shaft - shame they cut it as it looked like it had been useable and I could have sold it!

Then the selectors came off the gearbox so that I could reach the bell housing bolts - this gearbox is surplus as it's a totally different animal to the BE series, but again te animals managed to damage the casing!

Gearbox off to reveal the clutch - this will be changed, but I need to check whether I can use this flywheel (the preferred option as it uses a bigger clutch than the RD does).

Now for the other end of the engine - with lots of extra gubbins attached that I don't want:

Power steering pump came off OK, and seems to be in working order so will be cleaned up for sale

Next off was the alternator, to reveal the mounting bolts for the huge lump of ally bolted to the side of the engine to mount this stuff. On the assumption that it's more powerful than the RD unit, I hope to make up some mounts to enable me to use this alternator on the BX.

Big lump of metal, complete with tensioners, removed, and good riddance!

Need to work out what the thing on top of the pump does, as well as the lead off the one injector - hopefully I can just remove the first and ignore the last:

There's these 3 plugs on the pump to work out - one goes to the thing on top of the pump, while the other 2 go to the end of the pump behind the pipes - I'm hoping that these are for an immobiliser and that I can just remove whatever they're connected to but I have to check. At least it's a Bosch pump, not one of those Lucas ECU jobbies!

3 connectors on the thermostat housing, one for the glowplug control, and I assume the other 2 are temp gauge and light - just have to work out which is which! the big lump on top is apparently the fuel heater, which frees up the one on Fred as a spare for Timex.

From it's location, I assume that this is the oil pressure switch - unfortunately the other end of the conector is broke, so I may fit a BX style one here. There's another on the back of the engine which I assume is for oil pressure.

Back to work now (boo!)
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Work on both Timex and Fred has slowed the last few weeks, mainly because of work, but also because when I did get a couple of days off last weekend, I went and did this:

Meet the Visal Diesel (best said in a Bristolian accent)! Cursed for bad timing when it came up for sale in Wales last year about the time I rescued Fred, then sniped last minute on Ebay when a certain Mr. Salter of these parts was selling it after it failed the MOT with flying colours, the buyer turned out to be a trader who decided it wasn't shiny enough for him to patch it up fo the MOT and sell at a profit so Chris exchanged our numbers and I gave him what I paid for it!

Surprisingly for me, both the mechanics and interior are pretty good. Not surprisingly I'm keeping up form by buying a car which is one of only a couple of survivors (3 of this model accorning to 'How Many Left, bu this is the only on that has been taxed in the last few years), and is in need of some serious welding!

I've already scored a pair of genuine new wings, which I picked up while going to look at a bonnet (which was too expensive). I'll be geting it in the long term storage barn this weekend, although as they allow me to weld outside the building there I hope to get it through an MOT in the next few weeks, time and funds permitting.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I can't believe the lengths you are going to with that BX, fair play to you it would have been in the scrap yard years ago if it had been mine.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Ah yes, big plans for Timex! Once either Fred or Visal Diesel are on the road, Timex will be getting a well deserved bodywork rebuild. I have new bumpers and front wings, together with good or repairable 2nd hand doors, tailgate, bonnet and passenger rear wing all to go on. The windscreen surround will be repaired before a new screen goes in, I'm planning to fit new sills and drop the rear subframe in order to rebuild the front mounts and rails under the boot floor. Inside I have a new dash to go in, plus I may swap some bits (such as door cards) between Fred and Timex, to make Timex more correct. There's also parts such as the breather system and sump that will be coming off Fred's outgoing engine to go onto Timex in order to correct some things under there, as well as either fitting a 19D hatch box I have or (if that ends up in Fred), using Fred's box to rebuild Timex's.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Saturday was musical vehicles at the long term storage barn - clear the parts at the back left over from the departure of the 2 Dyanes, then shift the Nomad shell to the back, the series one Landy back to where the nomad shell, the big trailer with the Nomad chassis and Falcon shell back to where the Land Rover was, so that I can (just) squeeze Visal Diesel into the front:

It's a tight fit - the door only just shuts. I did get the opportunity to drive it round the yard and bearing in mind I could only get as far as 2nd gear, it's a nice drive other than the woeful brakes (although that may just be my left foot is trained in mk1 BX braking now!)

Anyway, for those who're interested, here's some more pics:

The interior is good other than a missing bit or rear shelf and a slightly worn driver's seat:

Underside of the comedy bonnet - this matche the strip of fibreglass running the width of the car on top

Never seen a back box like this before - it looks like the exhaust goes through it twice!

Despite the advisory, the rest of the exhaust looks pretty good, as does the floor pan

The rear of the sills each side are a different story...

Terrible pic, but trust me, there's a hole in that corner!

Boot floor corrosion was an advisory - I'm not so sure considering the towing eye pictured was pulled off while the car was strapped to the trailer.

I suspect the Visal Diesel may be on the road before Fred, mainly because it runs and drives while Fred doesn't. It's somewhere where the landlord doesn't mind me welding, and with some more parts sorting (or another vehicle gone - Landrover Ambulance or Split screen Westy projects anyone?) I should be able to make the space big enough to switch between it and Timex.

as for Timex, in a bid for attention the electric windows both died, rather inconveniently as one was open at the time. I got it closed with leads straight from the battery, but all I know so far is it's not the fuse, so I've posted that up elsewhere.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

From another thread...
I think I was lucky with the carb on the 14 I had, as it didn't have the issues many seem to have. I just hope I'm as lucky with the 4x4!
That carb is sticky - there's the possibility of water in the fuel because of the rusted ring at the filler but both Doc and the Westons did get it going enough to run the engine so they may remember what the problem was.

I did buy a Weber for it - purchased as a 34DRTC it has turned out to be slightly different - see page 2 of this thread...

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 7&start=15

It's a 32/34DRTC so the primary choke is a tad smaller and the other 'gubbins' are slightly different too.

If you look for a Weber 34DRTC now you'll probably have to wait some time for one to come up - I waited months for the one I bought and that was a few years ago - they are much more rare now - but in fact they might be cheaper I would think - probably 'well used' though so worth the recon kit.

Fairly comprehensive info is contained in the Haynes bumper book of Weber carbs (part 2 - because there's a version covering earlier ones)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Manual ... 41817b4398
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Been pretty quiet on the BX front the last few weeks, apart from Timex racking up the miles with little in the way of complaint, but have been busy with Visal Diesel, which like all these things is a bigger job than expected, although unlike Fred no nasty mechanical surprises (yet!)

So here goes - new rear strut and parcel shelf section to start of easily:

Then replaced a track rod as the boot was shot

Found the front arch rot - no too bad actually

Rack gaiters are not much longer for this world, so a new set has been ordered

Got the new drivers side suspension arm in after some swearing, but the driveshaft wouldn't come apart to allow me to fit the new outer gaiter. The inner on the other shaft wasn't much better, so I ordered a pair of shafts as I managed to find some for not much money

Then tried to remove the front grill in order to fit the new one I'd found, and ran into another issue - the loose bit of metal there sould be attached to the bumper reinforcing panel!

Removal of the headlights revealed more rust - I may have sources a low mileage scrap C15 that has a good front panel I can salvage, otherwise I'll make up these parts myself.

This side's not much better, but can at least be used as a pattern
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

As the drive shafts would take a day to arrive, I decided to look at the driver's rear arch - this has taken more than a day though!

This bit was easy to spot!

Cut out to reveal more rusty metal

Removed the rear wheel to gain access to the other side and got a surprise!

The bit I'm working on at the time from underneath - all trimmed back

1st piece back in

2nd piece in and closed off

And this repair completed

I then decided to look at the front of the arch - luckily the suspension mounts seem OK

With the loose removed, plus about a 1" cut to remove the bump stop and surrounding metal

I had hoped to repair and reuse the bump stop but it's too far gone!
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

With the rust cut away, I started with this small patch

Next was another small patch from the other side

As you can see, I'm repairing this piecemeal - this is due to the car being moved out of the building every day as the landlord (quite rightly) doesn't like me welding inside among all the other vehicles etc.

These 2 plates then complete the repairs to the actual inner arch in this immediate area

The boot corner needed repair, and I was suspicious about the rear light that seemed to be held in with sealant, so I removed it to find this - the sealant wasn't quite holding the light in but it wasn't far off

The removal of the back bumper didn't improve matters much

The bumper end mount was at least present but the connecting strap had rotted through

Rear view shows how bad the rust was

This patch doesn't bode well for the rest of the previous repairs on this car - it was welded on 2 sides only, with sealant and underseal covering the rest up
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD