Demag's TGS Auto

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
demag
BXpert

Re: Demag's TGS Auto

Post by demag »

I used the Bx last night after work to do a bit of running round. The petrol smell is bad inside even the missus commented on it and it's got the old hot start syndrome. Well not really hot start but that in between bit, warm I suppose. :D It's going in for a sphere check/recharge tomorrow. And I want to do the oil and filter and the gearbox oil and the cambelt and and...... Oh dear I have to learn to do one step at a time with this. :? At least we will have the warmer weather here soon so I can get out and do a bit.

Tim the fellow with the herringbone interior from ebay got in touch yesterday. The buyer hadn't been in touch so he will bear me in mind.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

ok Dave, I would make use of the drivers seat if you dont need it.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Ok Tim fingers crossed.

Another interesting day today. I was hoping the carb would be the Weber however on scraping the grime off I found a Solex. The good news is I rang Aldon Automotive who are about 10-15 miles away and they had a service kit in stock. So I drove over and bought it. They gave me a 20% discount and it cost £41. Still once fitted it should improve things somewhat.
Whilst I had the bonnet up I dipped the auto gearbox oil. It's yellow, the colour of p*** :lol: so a change is on the cards. Given a bit of time, money and warm weather I should be able to get it running quite nicely for the summer.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

demag wrote:.............................
Tim the fellow with the herringbone interior from ebay got in touch yesterday. The buyer hadn't been in touch so he will bear me in mind.
Dave/Tim !

:idea: Why don't you just PM the E-bay seller 'dollywaggon' via the forum, as I can remember when 'MR C' got her mixed up with Ian (Dollywobbler) :lol:

Here's the threads I'm referring to # ONE and # TWO !
dollywaggon wrote:Hi, I've got a 17 engine with 220K careful miles on the clock still in my pensioned off BX 1992 TGD. It's sat for the last 3 years but is not a turbo. Excuse me for not knowing whether that matters or not but I'm a girl. I'm in Norfolk which is a long way from you so don't know whether you would be interested.
The /\ quote from THIS thread for ref. :wink:

Good luck !

demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Dooh well I took the Bx in to have the spheres looked at the other day and thankfully he hasn't rung me back because I've been bed ridden the last few days. I couldn't have picked it up even if I'd wanted to. Today is my first day out of bed and have actually eaten food and kept it down. More news when available.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Had a call today from Simon who is doing the spheres. Generally speaking they are all down 10-15bar pressure. The spheres themselves all look ok so he will regass them. He also commented on how nice the car was underneath.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Two freshly gassed spheres and the auto box dipstick. I think that should be red.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

The carb is now off the car. It took about one hour working nice and steady and taking piccies. Some of the hoses were a bit iffy so took my time to ease them off.

As can be seen the carb is quite dirty and stained with old fuel. Tomorrow I'll start cleaning and stripping. I'll have to watch Wifey doesn't moan about the smell, the carb cleaner aerosol is quite potent stuff. :roll:
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

My trick is waiting until she goes to bed...managed to coat a pair of wings with cavity wax on the inside at the weekend without a single complaint! It helps to do jobs like that inside, as the wax tends to harden more quickly if sprayed onto a cold panel.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I think that should be red.
Maybe... maybe not - I don't know what colour the BX ATF should be. If there's a rumour that Ford red ATF should work ok then I might have started it :oops:
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Useful pics - I think my 4x4 has a similar carb set up, so I may refer to these later!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Hope you stop the fuel leak - have you checked the state of the fuel lines from the tank? These often perish and / or the jubilee clips don't clamp securely.

Be prepared to change the ATF several times before all the old is fully removed. It's worth dropping the auto sump and cleaning the magnet inside and changing the filter. You may need to remove the flow valve to get it fully off though and be careful with the sump bolts, they can strip easily!
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

I think the petrol pump is leaking as well. I ordered a new one only 12 quid off the bay. I bought 5 litres of ATF so will do a few changes over the next few weeks. The carb is in two pieces now. Top and bottom. Took some working out how to split them but Haynes came to the rescue and it was easy. Now I can fit all the new parts and get it running again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Mmm, I think there is a major problem with this carb. After cleaning and rebuilding with a few new parts from the kit I refitted it this afternoon and started the engine. There was a lot of petrol around the bottom of the carb and on the inlet manifold. Previous to refitting I cleaned the inlet manifold as it was covered in a thick goo. Now I'm wondering if that was a combination of petrol and road grime. Now it's all clean it's easy to see the petrol sitting there but not to see where it's actually coming from. :? I took the carb back off and checked the float level which should be 33mm from the gasket to the tip of the float when the carb top is inverted. This one was 35mm so if anything there should be less fuel in the float chamber. I fitted a new float valve thinking that was where the problem was before. I was very careful not to disturb any settings on the carb because the set up is ridiculously complicated in the best Citroen traditions I suppose. #-o Where to go from here? I noticed there were adjustments made last year for the emissions at mot time. Don't know if that is related. I'll check the floats tomorrow to see if they are holy. Also shouldn't there be a return to the tank? I'm not sure where it is. :(

I always thought this black box had something to do with the choke mechanism but it's just a black plastic box with a vacuum pipe and no other connections. Is it a vacuum accumulator?
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Success! :D After yesterdays saga I stripped the carb again this morning and double checked everything I did yesterday. Everything appeared to be sound and the floats looked fine if a little old. I refitted it again :roll: taking extra care to make sure everything was just so. I lubed the throttle cable this time to help with the stiff pedal. Cleaned tools and rags away from under the bonnet and turned the key. After a few spins to fill the float chamber it burst into life and went into a rather lumpy fast idle. After a few minutes the revs started to slow as the auto choke eased off and it started running very smooth. I was watching for any smell or signs of petrol and there was nothing, nothing at all. =D> So what I did different I have no idea but it was ticking over lovely. I waited 10 minutes for the fan to kick in so it was good and warm and it was still as dry as a bone. Hopefully that's another job out of the way. [-o<
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.