TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Tim Leech »

Some prick in a BMW was speeding and didn't indicate when trying to cross lanes....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

As mentioned on Facebook, very sad to see. I'll give you a gold star if you throw another second-hand wind and indicator on it and turn up at Pride of Longbridge in it! If you're forced to use a BX, at least that'll be two of us! My BX was there last year too...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It's in the shop now awaiting repair. I've got a wing and indicator sorted but it's going through insurance as his bimmer was a mess.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Glad you got it to your shop. Have heard horrors stories where people have lost custody of their car.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Tim Leech wrote:It's in the shop now awaiting repair. I've got a wing and indicator sorted but it's going through insurance as his bimmer was a mess.
Tim !
Best not to go thro' the insurance (And especially if it wasn't your fault) get the BMW driver to pay for it out of their own pocket if possible ?

Reason being, it may lead to a Cat. D or worse still a Cat. C marker placed against it (then it would need a 'VIC test AND a fresh MOT) also in the long run it May affect the vehicles value, if you ever came to sell it too ?

Good luck with getting it sorted out pronto !

Last edited by RxBX on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The damage to his car would run to thousands as the two left hand doors , rear wing and side skirt were buckled and dented. The old Rover is a lot tougher than I expected.

I have an agreed value Policy of £4500 and the parts bill for the sd1 is less than £250, plus we have paint left over from when I had the bonnet done so I should be ok.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Shame, and so typical of modern biffs. No doubt you were 'in the way'. It is slightly satisfying when one of these older machines trashes a modern with minimal damage. My old Fiat Ducato squashed two Metros and a Fiesta with hardly a mark. I was apparently invisble. Even when carved up on the M1 roundabout to Derby the Transit on loan to an idiot was totally trashed and I drove home with a bent wing and at the cost of a tyre due to miss alignment. The Policeman called was quite impressed and had little sympathy for Idiot who had to explain why his mate no longer owned a functioning transit.
Forget what an attractive car the SDI was. Was a very popular car round here, in its day.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes apparently a 14ft long shiny Gold Sd1 with Gold wheels and a rather vocal exhaust is easy to miss!

The bill for repair to the Rover is £1200! :shock:
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Bugger - glad it's being sorted!

Those beemers arean't as strong as you think - someone wrote theirs off on the front of my parents early 90's Hymer a few years back, while they tried cutting them up at the end of an overtaking lane on the M4 in Wales - the beemer was trashed from the B post back on the passenger side, and the impact was hard enough to smash the rear screen and crease the roof, while the Hymer bent 2 bumper brackets and cracked an indicator lense!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well, the Sd1 is well on the way to being mended, new parts are here, the insurance has given the go ahead to get it mended, then its a case of argeuing whos to blame and accept the costs, I see it giopng 50/50 which is a pain as it will put up all the renewals come next time!

Margo the minor is having some titivating with a few new bits here and there and a make over to make it look less like an old womans car, black wheels, clear indictators and wider tyres. On the inside I have decluttered the dash with removal of the aluminium panel (which was battered), fitting an earlier Gold faced speedo (it has a 70's style Mini type at the moment which is incorrect anyway) and 3 spoke earlier wheel to replace the nasty plactic type. The seats will be recovered with some matching duo-tone covers when funds allow as the vinyl is split in places.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

If you were in the right, fight for all it's worth! The insurance company probably want 50/50 as it's easier for them.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thats the plan, thankfully the totally none available V8-S specific bumper is undamaged as they have started disassembley.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Another month on and the Sd1 is mended, well nearly, just a few finishing touches, at this rate it will be 2 months since the accident...and were no further forward as the twunt in the BMW is trying to blame me for the accident so its going to be a long drawn out process.

Picked up some hydraflush and LHM at Wetherby so the TZI will be getting some new blood, sadly the number of BX stalwarts was low at the Northern so I hope the National is busy.

In other news the Minor has brakes that work properly now the servo is connected back up again and were off to Spain in 3 weeks and Im not allowed to hire or talk about cars.....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

A little BX minimeet yesterday at Chez Jones, who is still poorly, I collected a Golf load of BX parts from Mr Handley to store with the my hoard over at my lock up whilst he moves house. Was nice to have a small ride in a BX diesel again, I really would like a TD hatch to bomb around in.....hmmm, mind you I think I can probably build one out of all the bits I have!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Note to oneself, next time you change the LHM and clean out the tank, wear rubber gloves!