rear subframe mounts

BX Tech talk
themildbunch
BXpert

rear subframe mounts

Post by themildbunch »

Thought I'd have a look at the rear subframe mounts under the plastic fascia today on my estate....

Here's the near side:

Looks pretty solid to me - remnants of cavity wax I sloshed about everywhere I could when I did both rear arm bearings a few years ago..

Here's the offside:

and from underneath:

Bit worrying that strip of corrosion that's burst through - although it looks solid enough around the mounting bolts...

I'm not sure of the construction around here - - any thoughts as to the best course of action at the moment?
I can treat and protect what I can access and I could remove the rear arm to get some more space..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: rear subframe mounts

Post by citsncycles »

Whatever the long term solution, I'd get as much protection in there as possible for now to try to slow things down.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Looks to me like good timing and you have caught it just in time. If it was me I would remove as much of the flakey paint and rust as possible with a longish flat bladed screwdriver, using a mallet/hammer then scraping motion, when cleaned as best you can apply a good soaking of Kurust using an old tooth brush to agitate it then once dry apply a good coating of waxoil as a protective layer which should cure it whilst allowing you to monitor it in the future. You can spray a primer and top coat before waxoil but I have found a good coat of waxoil alone is sufficient
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Thanks - good advice - I've got covered in Bilt Hamber cavity wax today so hopefully it's been slowed down significantly.... Having a look around the structure of this area it looks like the vertical rust breaking through above the subframe bolts is coming through from the rear arch area - isn't this where all that stupid foam like stuff is?

The underside needs cleaning up and coating in something good too...

Here are some useful subframe free pics from a pretty far gone BX I've been looking at to make myself feel better!!

1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

The foam is further up in the C post, just below the latch pin. I've seen rot in the sub frame mount spread from both the rear end of the sill, and from the rail that runs under the boot floor above the sub frame.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!