Hi, it's the village idiot again

BX Tech talk
Xen

Hi, it's the village idiot again

Post by Xen »

How can I tell what HP/kv my elderly (1989) BX is - I am trying desperately to find some parts online, and the websites just keep asking me more and more difficult questions - every time I get one of the answers right, they think of another question!
He is a BX 16RS, if that helps.
Many thanks to anyone who can help me keep him on the road :D
Mothman

Re: Hi, it's the village idiot again

Post by Mothman »

Hi bud,

what do you need?

Andy
Xen

Post by Xen »

Hello :)
The "Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate" form (weeps into hands) says that:
1. Front (four way valve) fluid suspension unit leaking
2. Offside rear fluid suspension unit supply pipe corroded and seriously weakened
3. Rear fluid suspension levelling valve leaking

Having said all this, the garage (who have been looking after my car for about 18 years) think they will only have trouble getting number one - the four way valve, and maybe three - the levelling valve.
Any helpful suggestions: gratefully received! :)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

is the garage you use familiar with citroens,

what is the four way valve?????

also if they mean by No. 3 the height corrector all the parts are readily available, from the likes of

http://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/heigh ... -253-p.asp

it is usually just the above rubbery bits that fail/leak,

and the metal pipes can be made up in copper nickle

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Xen

Post by Xen »

I'm not sure if they are familiar with Citroens generally, but they have been really good with mine over the years.
I haven't the foggiest idea what the 'four way valve' is - something to do with the suspension, apparently, but that's all I know right now :S
Number 3 - rear fluid suspension levelling valve - well, your guess is better than mine :) - but if they don't find anything by tomorrow afternoon (panicking now, due to the MoT expiry date) - I will ring them and give them the web address you have suggested.
Thankyou very much for your help, Malcolm -
Xen
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

The "4-way valve" will be the FDV. It'll either be leaking from loose unions (most likely) or from the sidecap O-rings. Both of which are easy to remedy.
I have zero patience for your tedium.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

JayW wrote:The "4-way valve" will be the FDV. It'll either be leaking from loose unions (most likely) or from the sidecap O-rings. Both of which are easy to remedy.
if it is loose pipe nuts just nip them up and clean the FDV= this is the square block on the front of the engine just above the regulator/sphere,

if it is the end caps leaking just clean the area and re/present the car to the test station,

Martin at Pleiades on
01487 831239

will make and send pipes out to order, all he requires is the length and the size of pipe flare nuts ( 3.5, 4.5 or 6.5 )

it will not be 6.5 and unlikely the be 4.5 at the rear end of the car though

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Xen

Post by Xen »

Hello - and thankyou everyone for your help so far, I really appreciate it.
Just one question (for now!) - what is the FDV? I looked for it in my trusty and incomprehensible Haynes manual, but couldn't find it.
Sorry to be so daft.
Xen

Post by Xen »

Back again - just spoke to the guys at the garage. They want my car back in at the beginning of next week to wash off the bottom and properly diagnose the fault before we rush into spending a lot of money on a new "Front (four way valve) Fluid Suspension Unit". The only other description that they can give me of this thing is that it is
"where the accumulator sphere goes on - the body that the accumulator sphere screws into."

However, I am still going to have to get a new "Rear Fluid Suspension Levelling Valve" - is this the right name for it, please?
Thanks again.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

The rear unit you describe is the "Height corrector". New ones are scarce but rebuilding the one you have with the parts linked above is a doddle.

The FDV (which is the part you garage describe) is the "flow diverter valve" and splits the hydraulic fluid between the high pressure system (brakes/suspension) and the low pressure system (steering). There are 2 pipes to the top and 2 from the bottom, these VERY often come loose due to vibration and leak, all that's required is tightening.

(The part the sphere actually screws into is the :edit: "Pressure Regulator" located right beneath the FDV and can easily be mistaken for a single part as they are bolted together - however, it doesn't have 4 pipes so isn't "4-way").

The only other possibility is that there are 2 round indents on either side (left/right), these are metal "caps" sealed with o-rings that deteriorate and fail. they can be replaced with th FDV off the car.

Removal and rebuild of the Height corrctor is 2 hours, th FDV is 3 assuming they have the faintest idea what they are doing. New FDV's are NOT available.
Last edited by JayW on Wed May 07, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Post by jamescarruthers »

Where are you based? I'm sure your mechanics are competent but with Citroen hydraulics it's often best to go to an expert so you don't waste money paying for them to learn about your car's system.

None of it is too difficult however time is money at garages and it all adds up. For example, I was horrified when busy at work recently that a wheel bearing supplied and fitted ended up at £180 at my local garage!!!

So, let us know where you are and we might be able to suggest a garage you could go to.

I use one in Sawtry and one in Hitchin and live in Cambridge. I'm not mad, it is worth the extra travel with a BX!
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Who said you are not 'mad' James!! You have a BX!!

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Xen wrote: The only other description that they can give me of this thing is that it is
"where the accumulator sphere goes on - the body that the accumulator sphere screws into."
quote me above
"FDV= this is the square block on the front of the engine just above the regulator/sphere,"

Xen wrote:
However, I am still going to have to get a new "Rear Fluid Suspension Levelling Valve" - is this the right name for it, please?
Thanks again.
you will almost certainly NOT require a new "Rear Fluid Suspension Levelling Valve" = equals = height corrector

quote me above
"No. 3 the height corrector all the parts are readily available, from the likes of

http://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/heigh ... -253-p.asp

it is usually just the above rubbery bits that fail/leak,"

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

JayW wrote: (The part the sphere actually screws into is the "Accumulator"
shame on you Jay :roll: :twisted: :) :wink: :wink:
wrong answer you forfeit 100 brownie points :o :roll: :twisted: #-o [-X :-? :-" :rofl: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

the unit the accumulator sphere screws onto is the pressure regulator, or citroen call it a circuit breaker

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

That's obviously what i meant, thanks for the correction.

Though slightly confused as to why your entire post above just repeats exactly what i'd stated! :?