BX how safe?

Anything about BXs
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: BX how safe?

Post by Way2go »

Kitch wrote:The number of people on this thread who reckon themselves as good drivers is a bit concerning. I read somewhere that those who believe they're good are the most dangerous.
I totally agree with you on this one Kitch, it seems to be rooted in the macho driver stance. In truth you only have to be in the right place at the wrong time where circumstances add up to create that unavoidable collision. Good driving may reduce the occasions of those circumstances but it's arrogance to believe that it can completely eliminate them!
I also find the periodic rant by some against ABS peculiar, as this seems rooted in the same macho philosopy. ABS is undoubtedly of considerably more benefit to have than not to all drivers here whatever car they drive. It also may have unknowingly saved them when in use by another driver irrespective of whether he/she was a dickhead! :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

I think it's probably a fair assumption that many - if not most - on this forum will actually be pretty good drivers. Cars and driving in general is something they have an enthusiasm for and they tend to see cars as an end in themselves as opposed to a means to and end. Although it's fair to say that some car enthusiasts will see 'good driving' as somehow synonymous with macho confidence; that is not the case. For most people a car is simply a 'thing' to meet practical transport needs and kid everyone else that they're 'successful' - nothing more. And while I'm sure there are many non-car enthusiasts that are very conscientious drivers, there's a significant majority that aren't; they behave like complete twats . . . and I've seen them.

Whether or not I'm a good driver I've no idea, but I'm certainly a careful driver. Not just because I don't want to knock a cyclist off his bike or kill school children (which I don't), but also because my cars are in very good nick and I don't want all those other maniacs anywhere near them . . . tar very much. :D
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I see car control as an art form. Perfectly judging the apex of a bend, matching engine speed to gear selection, perfectly blipping the throttle to assist gear change. So on and so forth. I certainly don't maintain a 'macho' ethos.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

With 58bhp of raw, untameable throbbing power grumbling away under the bonnet of my TGD, 'machismo' isn't really an option. :)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

mds141 wrote:I see car control as an art form. Perfectly judging the apex of a bend, matching engine speed to gear selection, perfectly blipping the throttle to assist gear change. So on and so forth. I certainly don't maintain a 'macho' ethos.
"Macho" was used in a "tongue in cheek" way for drivers on here BUT the point is that good driving on your part will not eliminate accidents. I have had only a few in many years of driving but had two where the other driver pulled out of a side turning in front of me, once when I was on a motorbike and a another time in a car. On both occasions they were 2 way roads where I had right of way in a 30mph zone (& I was inside the limit). They pulled out when I was already on top of them as clearly their observation was faulty which left me with no opportunity to stop or safely swerve to avoid them.
The only way to avoid such accidents would be to stop at each intersection which clearly would not be good driving when you are on the major road and even then something else might occur ie being rear-ended by the guy behind who is not anticipating you stopping for no reason. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

On a good day, with the right car, driving is a form of art. Great satisfaction can be got from being in harmony with the vehicle and getting the most in an effcient safe way from it. Particularly older machinary that requires a level of skill. This is where my Messesrchmitts and such come in. You can have a fantastic drive within the speed limits. The bonus is that the humble appearence of some of these cars belies a suprisingly fast A to B speed when all is in harmony. Another obvious candidate for the lanes is a Spridget. The average driver today just does not understand were the big grin comes from in using these 'stupid underpowered old cars'. Motoring has changed a lot in even 30 years.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Wasn't it James Hunt who's favorite vehicle was an A35 van, because the only way he could have as much fun in anything else would be to either be on a track or speeding?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Dont forget modern cars are designed to crumple and protect you now where older ones didnt, had a slight shunt in the SD1 recently (not my fault) and I am surprised how well it held up, however it did shake me and the driver up, if it had been a side on collision the speed he was going I wouldnt be sat here now.

I worry about driving old cars all the time, and the safety aspect, but thats life in general, I dont take risks but sometimes they are unavoidable.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Well I have took the plunge today and bought Helen a fresh family car (Mercedes C220 diesel elegance auto 2003) so sadly my time with the TZD is now definitely coming to an end and I will now be selling it. If anyone on here wants to make an offer before I ebay it please do. It is mechanically as good as you are going to get with bone dry running gear. It was bought with FSH and in my custody has had a full and meticulous regular servicing since including genuine Citroen timing belt kit including water pump (£350) front and rear camshaft seals front and rear crankshaft seals and new clutch as a precaution when I did the rear crank seal, brand new genuine Bendix front calipers (not recon) , shoes and discs just fitted along with genuine bottom ball joints (£320), New set of comfort spheres just fitted (£125) Michelin tyres all round, strutt return pipes both sides, cv boots both sides, No rust anywhere all sorted but would benefit from some cosmetic polishing work to the paint. Don't think you will find better structurally and mechanically. Open to any reasonable offers from Forum members to keep this youngest registered BX in the fold (built 93 but not registered till 96 N) before I advertise it elsewhere. Runs and drives perfectly. I had intended keeping this car for many more years but hey ho things change.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

If this sale is based purely on the safety worries of a BX I would express the wish that you not find out your well advised by bending the Merc! :wink:
Seems sad to sell a really good example, it will be very hard to replace if you change your mind. I like Mercs, though the build quality dropped off alarmingly. I loath the ball joint design that I am amazed was allowed on the road, as it all but garrentees a crash if the off side goes on a busy road. They are a great car, but I still put the BX ahead as it does important things better. Comfort, space in the Estate, Economy in use.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I don't know how safe a 203 is but I know I drove one ages ago and thought it was truly horrific to drive :lol:

But as a family wagon vs. the BX it's a no brainer.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
really?
BXpert

Post by really? »

Been following this thread with interest as I drive a BX on a daily basis. Actually agree with just about everything that has been said, but still not prepared to shelve the experience of driving this comfortable, willing, quirky car for a perhaps false sense of safety.

Some time ago a woman was fatally injured when turning right in a more modern "safer" car because she misjudged the speed of an approaching motor cyclist who was travelling at 100mph in a 30 zone, her sips didn't withstand the impact.

Also some time ago, was travelling down the M40 at perhaps a tad over the limit, as was everything else, when a curtain sided truck shed a few new car seats leaving debris on the tarmac. This had happened approximately 5 minutes before my arrival, so unaware of it.

Unbeknownst to me I inadvertently ran over something and it was only when I noticed the smell of burning rubber and all the vehicles behind me flasshing lights that I realised something may be wrong with my car.

How many other cars could cover 1 mile with a 1 square inch flap of rubber hanging off a tyre?

So the question is how safe is any car in any given situation and would I have been able to travel so far without an accident in any other vehicle given the above circumstances?
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

I will still have my TGD Auto for my own use, it is purely the family hack that is being replaced. I have to agree that build quality of the Mercs did drop off dramatically especially on the W203 model that I have bought which I have had before but it was the car she wanted and has all the safety features. During my search I also found another very nice C class but the earlier W202 model which was far better IMO but swombo was adamant she wanted the other one. The build quality of Mercs has gone back up I believe but the W123 series Stuttgart Panza will never be topped in my eyes; I've had 5 of those and they were all superb.

EDIT; Yes Kitch I previously had a W203 C270 which wasn't good compared to a previous W202 C220 as the bigger heavier engine is horrible compared to the lighter freer revving 220 engine. Hopefully this latest car will also drive beter being the 220.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Well there's a lot to chat about here isn't there !

Trying to sort out the more important things to say, I found Matthew's post interesting. Doing a bit of math from his link...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablo ... wales-2009

touched on something I think is quite important but very much ignored. You have a greater than 1 in 27 chance of dying from something other than disease, or to put it another way, you are 27 times more likely to die of a disease than in an accident. Of all the diseases which have the potential to be fatal, you have a 1 in 3.5 chance that it will be cancer, or in other words, you are 7.7 times more likely to die of cancer than in an accident.

Now I never usually go off topic do I :^o and whilst I would love to bang on about cadence braking for ages, and discuss SIPS (see Mk2 Granadas !) at great length, I quite like you lot, so I think the best thing I can share with you is...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Selenium-Gettin ... ing+cancer

I recommend you buy it, read it, and act upon it. I only recommend books that I've read and the contents of which resonate strongly with other associated reading and study. I recommend this book ahead of many others because it states which supplements are likely to work well and warns of others which will not work at all: I'm not going to go into that here because you need to read the book to get all the info - which is why they put it in a book in the first place.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Spending several months averaging 700 miles a week simply confirmed that it wasn't just me being over-sensitive feminazi: there is genuinely an alarming number of drivers who can't bear to be sat behind or overtaken by a blonde woman in an old car. Evidence submitted: the sharp drop in twattish behaviour of other drivers when driving in the dark and people can't see the age of the car/details of the driver.

Despite ^ that, there's actually fewer deliberate twats out there than there seems. Most are accidental twats through being so separated from the environment (discussed already) - and scarily oblivious to or forgetful of the fact that older cars don't have all the auto-correct features that save those in modern cars when they "do a stupid". I think most who drive older cars are more aware of their limitations, particularly in relation to Newton's 3rd law, and take fewer risks.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane