Anything about BXs
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: BX how safe?

Post by Defender110 »

I don't feel unsafe in anyway in my BX's it is just that thought of something happening to my children because I put my personal frugality & hankering of an old Citroen before their safety. I would quite happily and had planned to run the BX for as long as possible hence my rigid maintenance regime using only genuine / OE parts but when you do get in a modern motor with all it's safety features you realise you are not fully complying with your duties as a father by maintaining the use of a BX as the family hack.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: BX how safe?

Post by Kitch »

You make me laugh with your OE/genuine parts religion :lol:

But yes, that's the way I see it too. If I dragged my kids around in something older that wasn't the best mode of transport for them, just something I liked, I wouldn't think much of myself.

I bought a Mondeo ST diesel last year because my wife really wanted one. Nice car to drive in fairness, but when trying to fit all the seats in the back I realised that though I could fit them all in, it was so tight I'd need to modify the edges of the trim around the seats. In a side impact they'd have become a structural part of the car from one side to the other, as their seats were rammed in tight width-ways.
As it turned out, the Mondeo 2.2TDCi engine is a complete lump of shit with an even bigger lump of shit Delphi fuel injection system which likes to eat it's own diesel pump. The car was sold on, I made a slight loss and we went back to the Picasso, which was the best we could fit into our budget. Still in it to this day.

So yes, that's also the way I saw it too. If anything happened, you'd never forgive yourself when you thought "what if they'd been in a safer car?" Chances are they would have been no better off, but you'd have done all you could at least. That would be some comfort.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)