Electrical puzzle

BX Tech talk
citsncycles
Over 2k

Electrical puzzle

Post by citsncycles »

Timex started suffering from some electrical issues at the weekend, which kept the participants of the All Ireland Rally entertained as I rigged up temporary feeds for the essential systems that had failed. I've been looking at the wiring diagram I have with me and it has me puzzled, as the issues I'm having seem to be on different circuits, but all failed at the same time. Here's a list of what's not working:

Electric windows
Speedo, fuel gauge and odo lights (but the lights for the heater controls are fine)
Front wash and wipe (blows the fuse when the ignition on)
Glove box light
Horn
Brake lights

I have temporary power supplies rigged to the brake light switch and the front wiper motor so that I can get home safely, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start to find the issue.

Any suggestions will be welcome.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
themildbunch
BXpert

Re: Electrical puzzle

Post by themildbunch »

Not sure if it'll help but on the MKII at least there's an earth point on the left hand rear light cluster - If this gets dirty / rusted it can cause some odd problems, IIRC.. Didn't you have some weird towbar wiring too that you had to fix?

I also noticed when I had my front drivers door off for A post welding how fragile the insulation is as it was very easy to cut on the metal edges as I eased it out of the door / grommet. I had to use lots of self amalgamating tape to repair the insulation - so far no problems though.
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I would also be looking at earthing points.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

You'll need a mk1 estate wiring diagram, pretty sure the one in the Haynes won't help. It sounds like the cabin earth had failed, on the mk2 there is a big blue wire which goes from an earth bolt on the n/s suspension turret behind the battery to the fuse box. Might be worth a gander but probably a red herring. I think I put a mk 1 estate wiring diagram up on the bx project the other day for a 16rs which might help.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

http://www.bxproject.co.uk/phpbb3/downl ... .php?id=35

Need to be logged in to down load it
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thanks, the diagram I have is in a Peter Ruseck manual for BX diesels which is mk1 era, but I'll check out your link when I get home.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

As suggested above, check the main earth strap(s) first. Water in the relays can do funny things...
But also a short in the ignition switch does very strange things like put on headlights when you indicate type of thing. I had one go on a Chrysler Sunbeam, pig to remove too as the original had a snapped off swan necked bolt... :wink:

Worth a quick check on fuses, like bulbs, occassionally one has a difficult to spot break. Otherwise the only other thing I have run into that causes weird behaviour is local poor grounds. I had a m/cycle frame resprayed and getting the wiring to work correctly was almost entirely down to creating new clean earths. Otherwise a lot of circuits crossed over, a bit like the ignition switch.

You haven't rewired Timex to poitive earth have you? :lol:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i dont think it will be an ignition switch fault as the brake lights dont go through that,

well for sure on MK1's that is

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

If the failing circuit works with a replacement 12v supply through the return part of the circuit then its not likely to be an earth problem.

So if not then its back to basics, find an easy to follow circuit and follow it back towards its fuse until you find a point where there is a 12v supply.
Have fun, it will be simple when you have found it.

Congrats on your recent CCC prize winning.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Thanks, I checked the earth connections I could find and they were OK. Current theory is a chafed loom in a bulkhead hole somewhere.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

citronut wrote:i dont think it will be an ignition switch fault as the brake lights dont go through that,

well for sure on MK1's that is

regards malcolm
Both mine do!!

Unless you have already done so, I' be suspecting and perhaps replacing the ignition switch. They are a known issue with age, and whats more if they fail with the keys out and steering lock on, you have some big mobility problems.

I was so worried with the TRS when driving it back from the moon when I first collected it, that I made sure I never took the key out.. Locking it up with the spare.. I have had the pleasure of removing one BX steering locked ignition barrel and one's enough thanks.

So basically it may be a warning sign to you...

Also I would be checking and wiggling the plugs into and out of the fuse box an the loom connectors under the dash... Goo luck
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I am looking for a replacement ignition switch as the end of the key broke off in it a few months back - luckily the doors and fuel filler are on different keys!

I have been looking round Timex and on top of it's obvious cosmetic deficiencies I'm finding more and more stuff that really needs to be done - the screen surround is getting quite bad now, the check strap mount on the driver's a pillar has a crack runing round at least half of it, and the sub frame mounts at the back are getting quite bad, So as soon as the Visa's done Timex will be getting a well deserved rest and rebuild so that I can sort out all of the above.
Mike Sims
BX14 TGE, - SOLD