Steering rack (PAS) Gaiters

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Steering rack (PAS) Gaiters

Post by Tinkley »

Where can you get steering rack gaiters from? The originals ie Citroen ones are still available but seem a bit pricey. Are there decent patterna available? For 1.6 TGS with PAS. I probably need to do at least the offside (easy) one and maybe the horrible near side one too.
themildbunch
BXpert

Re: Steering rack (PAS) Gaiters

Post by themildbunch »

I think the Xantia ones fit and are stretchy but I'v recently done the harder one on my TZD and I got a Bailcast universal boot kit that had both sides in - super stretchy when warmed up and you just cut down any extra bits you don't need.. worked perfectly and less than a tenner from eBay
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Tinkley wrote:Where can you get steering rack gaiters from? .............Are there decent patterna available? For 1.6 TGS with PAS.
I presume this is the same as for my GTi?

Camberley Auto Factors are good. Product supplied was SHAFTEC SRG548 which is rubber and contains both sides. You could also check if the product is available via other Factors too. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks guys. I have a CAF close by in Liphook so will give them a call. A quick googly on that Shaftec No served up only two suppliers, one of which was out of stock!. Listed for 1.6 though.

Yes, it should be the same as the GTI, why change the PAS system?. I'm sure they kept as many parts as same across the model range as similar as possible to keep costs down. Like almost all hubs (maybe not 16v) are the same from year one except for the ABS ones.

Just phoned Camberley and they have a kit 'on the shelf'!!!! Off to get one, will see if it is any good and report back. Good for them, as they are not my favourite factor - try LHM at twice the normal price, making a Citroen stealer look very cheap. Still as they say, be aware of all outlets.... :wink:
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

The main issue with rack gaiters as I see it is how much they stretch as the OEM gaiters have no stretch so can only be fitted to one side by removing the rack completely!

The universal Bailcast bootsare good as they are very stretchy so when heated and greased, they slip over the ram spigot pretty easily. I can't vouch for their longevity yet but they seem pretty tough...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks for the info tmb. I have managed to get the Shaftec ones W2G mentioned. They seem pretty flexible and much more so than the ones on it (probably original 1991 ones), so will give them a go. If the ones on the car are as factory fitted, I can't moan at the life....

As with the front return struts (I am replacing the failed GSF one, five months it lasted), the proof of the pudding is in the mileage and time. However, although subjective, the material seems to have a good feel. As only the o/s is split, I'll do that for the MOT but check the n/s - the pig.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you dont want the OE type as they are thermo plastic and do not streach!!!!

i use the likes of

http://www.firstline.co.uk/

and there taylor fit variety rather than the universal version

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks Malcolm, I have fitted the Firstline droplinks and they seem OK. Watch out though as they are a mite shorter than the OE and require the height adjuster collar to be reset for ride height.

I had noted that the OE gaiters are a lot stiffer, but both types, OE and replacements are thermoplastics, just one type has more plastisizer in the compound. Almost certainly one of the synthetic 'rubbers' maybe EPDM (like window/door seals) or similar. Could be the originals are PVC with only a small ammount of plastisizer? Hard to tell without drawing specifications or a bit of destructive testing with solvents!.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Got mine from Neat West Drayton, they werent in a box just a plastic bag with an irrelevant part no, they charged £5 for the pair prob old stock but seemed perfectly fine still ok after a few years and the n/s stretched over the ram post. GSF can also supply tho not a stock item.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I actually asked GSF as I was in there (last week), and they said we don't do those.
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Plasticisers often outgas or leach out or change chemically over time so the originals may have been more flexible when new.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Tinkley wrote: but both types, OE and replacements are thermoplastics, just one type has more plastisizer in the compound. Almost certainly one of the synthetic 'rubbers' maybe EPDM (like window/door seals) or similar. Could be the originals are PVC with only a small ammount of plastisizer? Hard to tell without drawing specifications or a bit of destructive testing with solvents!.
the first line type are rubber and very stretchy
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)