BXing on the Solent

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: BXing on the Solent

Post by Kitch »

Some BX movement......

It's officially, DUG has been sold :? I'm using the :? smiley as I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad. I won't namedrop yet, suffice to say I'm sure the car won't disappear altogether.

Further to DUG, I've also decided to sell The Red Shell, mainly for personal reasons. Again, I'd love to see through my ambition of fixing it up and getting it back on the road, but the reality is life is getting too hectic and too busy, and I need to cut some ties. So I made the decision of offering it up for sale as a going concern, with all the bits needed to do what I was going to do. If someone snaps it up, great! If nobody does, there's a chance I'll go back down the breaking road with it, though that's not concrete at this stage, though it's a serious possibility. I've got cars scattered all over the place, as well as having the GT to sort and my TVR which is in bits. The Red Shell and G-SEG are both on borrowed land, and I could be instructed to move them at any time. It's like one of those little worries in the back of your mind that won't go away, and what with the kids, the house needing tarting up, BAH needing a small rework next year......I haven't got motivation or realistically the time to see to all this other stuff.

Once DUG's gone and the Red Shell has potentially found a home, I'll finish recycling what I can from G-SEG and I'll be back to being a one-BX man again. That idea is kind of appealing! :lol:

That's until a mk1 16TRS manual in red pops up.......
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

I won't namedrop yet
Well - it's a very straight example and very nice and shiny - it would surely appeal to someone who enjoys polishing and buffing and the gleam that produces :D
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

electrokid wrote:
I won't namedrop yet
Well - it's a very straight example and very nice and shiny - it would surely appeal to someone who enjoys polishing and buffing and the gleam that produces :D
I think you might be thinking of a different car :lol:

Come to think of it, I don't own a gleaming BX!
Last edited by Kitch on Wed May 21, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

electrokid wrote:it would surely appeal to someone who enjoys polishing and buffing and the gleam that produces
Doc???

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

And it's goodbye from DUG! Left for its new owner last week. I'll let him make himself known, but suffice to say DUG will be well-catered for and is already being enjoyed by its new custodian. :)

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

So DUG's gone, and the daily Saxos tax is up. There is a fair bit of work that needs doing on it, so for now I've SORNed it as I already have enough work to be getting on with in the shape of my Dad's GT, and the TVR, the latter of which is occupying a space in the workshop it really shouldn't still be occupying!

Saturday just gone was spent harvesting spares from G-SEG. The aircon loom and system are now fully removed, I just need to find a space in the garage to stow them until next year! Next will be the bodykit and internal wiring loom. Last will be hydraulics (they're all stuffed mainly, I'll just keep them for overhaul!) followed by subframes/struts etc. Then it's down to finding what decent sections of the body are left in case anybody including myself need spares. I know the fuel filler surround is pretty good, though the filler neck has rusted away :lol:

In terms of the Red Shell, I'm still undecided on what to do with it. I've come to a realisation - I don't have that much room to store parts. I have pretty much everything needed to turn it into a running car again, it's just the worry that I put all my rare/decent spares into it, sell it (I'd have to sell it, I can't have two red 16vs.....it would fail the wife test) and then it ends up in the hands of a breaker, after all my hard work and all my rare spares. Even at £700 (the price I put it up for as a complete 'kit' it's still mugging off things like unbuckled alloys, decent seats etc, and of course the engine/loom/gearbox. A couple of interested parties have surfaced though, so we'll see what happens. If I do end up breaking it, it won't be willingly.

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Potentially VERY exciting BX-related shinanigans happening on Sunday. I'm like a kid at Christmas at the moment! :D

Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Sunday has pretty much been and gone, time to spill!
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

C'mon then - tell us what's occurring :?
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I get the impression that Kitch got in quite late and covered in green, maybe we'll get an update tomorrow.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote:I get the impression that Kitch got in quite late and covered in green, maybe we'll get an update tomorrow.
496 miles later (towing a big ass trailer miles) and having set off at 5:00am, I got back last night with the new addition:

I'll get some proper pics and details up later, but yes I had a messy catastrophe and was not in a good mood! Nov 1983 build date, Feb '84 registered 16TRS with 17k miles on the clock. It even still has the protective plastic sheets on the rear carpet!

It's now stashed in the garage where I will come back to it at some point in the future, once the GT is done.

But, yes a big deal. To me anyway, as it was an A reg, red 16TRS that started my love affair with cars, let alone BXs. I've always wanted one.

MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Nice one :) 17k on the clock, wow, its been nowhere.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Couple of new front suspension returns and off you go..... :wink:

Don't show this to Andy (of Andy's Autos) in Woking, it must be almost identical to one he used to run some years back (though that was a diesel), he'd go nuts for it.

Love to know where that one has been sitting. If you do all the rubbery bits, tyres, hoses etc it would make a great runner. I'd be tempted to put the later engine in for a bit more grunt, but what a peach.
Apart from the wonderfully faded red bumpers, that early red is a good strong colour, and does not seem to have chalked to much either unlike the later metallic red(s). The Mk2 solid red was a bit darker too, but I personally prefered that earlier colour. Now time was when the early blue ones (solid colour) were really difficult to shift....

Last time I saw one with 17k on the clock was in 2004!, a metallic blue 1.6 always garaged and mint. Went for 1k.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That is fecking awesome Kitch, well done to you, a A plate Mk1 is ultimate BX points!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Some more pics of the beast (now that the camera's online again!)

Still has all the original stickers etc, and even has the plastic protective sheets on the rear carpet! It's a bit of a wreck, but I'm still massively chuffed to have it. It's something of the realisation of a dream I've had for a while. As I might have mentioned before, this is the car that started it all:

When you're a very impressionable 5 year developing a very unhealthy fascination with cars, and then your Dad buys one of these after having had an Astra, you suddenly have a car with wacky switches, dials, looks and the fact it goes up and down. I was obsessed! I always promised myself I'd get a 16v, and I did 10 years ago. But I've also equally always wanted a red mk1 A reg 16TRS as it's the most important car ever, to me anyway. You could trace a thousand different life sequences back to that car, even my kids being born! This is a box ticked!