Demag's TGS Auto

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Demag's TGS Auto

Post by Tim Leech »

Demag, I think I need to be riding over to you in the TZI and let you do my ATF!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

The trouble with the ZF 4 HP 18 box, is that the TC holds onto at least 3 lts of transmission fluid, so on a neglected box, two or three fluid changes in quick succession are needed, to flush out all the degraded fluid. The XM has had three fluid and filter clean/changes in my custodianship and it now changes up and down beautifully.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Tim I can't believe your ATF is not in pristine condition? If you are serious I could have a run up to your place and drain some out. That would give The Tgs a nice run out as it now has a working speedo and you could cast your experienced eye over it.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That sounds like a great idea, Chevronics did change it a few years ago (it was black) but only managed to get a wee bit out, ill dip the stick and see whats what (I admit not to haveing checked it for a while)
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Ok am off work for a week or so after a failed attempt to get to the sun for a few days.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Had to go into work today for a meeting so decided to use XPO as it hasn't moved for a week or two. It was nice to see the speedo working after all this time and it drove well and kept up with the traffic. The carb is still definitely not right, it was ok from cold and warmed up nicely without all the crazy high revs. However when it had stood in the work carpark for three hours it was at that awkward not hot not cold state, and although it started ok it seemed to be on the verge of stalling on tickover for the first couple of miles but was ok later when fully warmed up again. I might tweak the fast tickover back up a quarter turn on the adjuster to try and compensate. I got nervous trying to tickle the throttle and then pop it into gear to pull away from the lights with all the traffic around me. I had visions of stalling and getting shunted up the rear but luckily managed to avoid it. Now it's had a run I can do some more atf swapping as well.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

I seem to remember James having a similar problem and used to adapt his driving style! Could it be ignition related rather than the carb - can't remember if you've changed the leads / plugs, etc..
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

No I haven't changed the leads. I did the plugs and cleaned the carb so it's still a work in progress. Once properly warm it runs well and ticks over great whether in gear or neutral, it's just that annoying in between bit! However :shock: I have now come by a Weber carb so might be tempted to try it.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

The Bx has not been touched for an age now apart from being fired up for 10 minutes last week. The Berlingo has now destroyed its 2nd turbo in less than 7 months having only travelled 4000 leisurely miles since the last one was fitted :evil: . I have spent the last few days trying to sort some wheels out as the Bx is out of mot last week and needs the strut returns looking at. Once again we are on 12 hour shifts, sometimes upto 12 in a row due to holiday and sickness cover which leaves me no personal time.

Luckily I have a few days off this week so today I bought a 2001 1.4 Reno Scenic with only 64k on the clock and cambelt and water pump just done. Quite tidy it is too. I also tested an 04 Fiat Panda with 133000 miles on the clock! The engine purred and it drove really well :lol: but it was just too small. I tested another Scenic, 02 plate I think. 1.9 diesel with 104k but it drove nowhere near as nice as the 1.4. It was like driving a lorry in comparison. Shame really because it came with all the toys including full grey leather, digital aircon and twin electric sunroofs to name a few. The old tech turbo had to be spooled upto 1800 rpm to get it going then it took off at a great rate of knots and headed for the horizon! :lol: Not really very practical around town.

I was really surprised just how well the 1.4 engine went, it had oodles of power and was very pleasant. I've just arranged some temporary cover which was 33 quid for two days so can't grumble. Unfortunately it doesn't have aircon or sunroofs as it is the Authentique which is pretty well down the spec chain I believe but at least it's lasted longer than the bloody Berlingo being 13 years old now. My bank balance is now looking rather dire and I need payday soon :shock: .
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Berlingo still fubar and the washer pipe split on the Scenic and soaked the ignition. #-o Now running on three but I've ordered a set of coils which hopefully will be here tomorrow. A nice scrapman put a wanted sign on the Bx while we were out. :shock: Prick!
The Reno smelled a bit iffy inside so I had a look round. I found a few years worth of old sugary sweets, biscuits, chocolate and what looked like toast squashed under the back seats! Plus some black mould :| My cars get a bit grubby now and again but there really are some dirty pigs about. Hot soapy water and three hours saw it nearly all cleaned up and it doesn't look too bad. :D Needs another hour or so.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Just an update since last July (!) The Bx is sorn and not been touched since last year. I can't wait to get cracking on it again, hopefully the weather will pick up again soon. The Berlingo was unceremoniously handed back to Citroen with a few harsh words and I have run the Scenic since then and it has been a super little car. I have done 280 miles in it over the last three days on just over half a tank. However tomorrow we will be parting ways as I have p'xed it for an 02 Fiat Doblo JTD ELX. It cost 800 quid and I have got 600 in p'x so can't grumble.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

I still have the spare front wing and door in the correct shade for your BX - Let me know if you still need them as I'm going to have to move them soon...
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Oh yes please that would be great. I'm off work for possibly another week so could maybe drive down to collect? There'll be plenty of room in the Doblo! :D
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

themildbunch you have mail.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

I picked up the grey interior today from Chris Abbott plus a few other tasty bits he had stored. I just need a bit of weather now to get cracking again.
Dave.

1990 Bx TGS automatic.