Mk.1, 1984 Citroen BX 14E

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Mk.1, 1984 Citroen BX 14E

Post by jamescarruthers »

I have put my BX up on Car and Classic. Here is the link:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C516356

And a copy of the ad:
If you are in to BXs like I am, you will know how rare it is to find a Mk. 1 in this condition.

Bought in 1984 by Mr. Adams and passed to his son when he gave up driving and passed on to me when was in his late 60s, this car has been in the same garage for 30 years until I acquired it last year. Being garaged for 30 years means that it really is in as good condition as it looks.

Although working an well loved for 30 years it has had a fortune spent upon it at The Chevronic Centre, Hitchin to bring it back to its current state. The previous owner was retired and only tootled around Romford in it but in my care it was been known to cover 600 miles in a day and has been my utterly reliable daily driver. I have really woken this old girl up from her retirement and she hasn't missed a beat.

Of course, the bset course of action would be to use this BX less than I have now that it is in fine fettle. It would make a fine show car or weekend classic car as it is clearly nearly the best Mk. 1 BX left.

Both Mr Adams kept the most incredibly meticulous servicing records and it has had its oil changed twice yearly or every few thousand miles for its whole life. I wont bog this advert down with 30 years of hsitory but I have typed out the service records that he kept and can e-mail to potential buyers.

In my care it has has:
New exhaust, front to back
Front spheres (correct, early BX14 ones)
Front tyres (correct, early BX14, 145/80R14, at £80/tyre)
Full service (including dis. cap, rotor arm plugs, HT leads, filters, oil)-- no service items outstanding, everything is up to date!
Strut return pipes
Various CV and ball-joint boots
Coolant flush
New coolant chamber
Tiny bit of welding on end of sill before it got out of hand (nowhere near an MOT fail)
New seats (unfortunatley Mk. 1 BX's were clothed in tissue paper so it now sports great looking and hard wearing tweed from a Mk. 2.
Climair window deflectors
Repair to driver's window winder mechanism
New(ish) radio (original 3 speaker set up, optional extra, retained in car; original Radiomobile twin spindle radio MW/LW included in sale)
Carb cleaned out and re-set up

Recently, before I bought it, it had:
A new clutch and cable
Repair to push rods in fuel pump (machined spares included).
The valve timing must have been adjusted throughout its life as this little engine purrs!

Rob at The Chevronic Centre has spent a fair bit of this car and has said it is a lovely example and drives brilliantly and smoothly. In fact, I have his blessing to use his name in this ad!

To make perfect you should replace the driver's door because up close you can see it has some rust in the back corner, probably from a blocked drain hole a the rest of the car is great.

Located in Cambridge for viewing, I'd prefer collection from there but, in theory could deliver somewhere if you'd like to discuss it.

MOT until August; I'll but 12 months MOT on before it goes too (completely confident it will go through). 97k Miles.

No suspension issues at all, it is in fantastic condition underneath. Martin at Pleiades commented on how good it was (as in rust free) and let me get pictures of its undersides when it was in for sphere replacement and a suspension check up.

Basically, its mecahnically perfect, and the bodywork is perfect apart from the driver's door which you shold replace at your leisure and a scratch which must be from a petrol pump nozzle above the filler flap which is bubbling under the paint.

Every service item is "in date" and it needs absolutely nothing until the next scheduled oil change in 5 months time.

I know everyone says "genuine reason for sale" and all that bollocks but I don't mind filling you in on the details here on the BX Club forum. Basically, I have got a fantastic new job in Farnborough but I am going to still live in Cambridge as one of the perks, I think, is that the job is 4 days-ON / 4 days-OFF.

So, the BX will have to go to finance some sort of caravan to live in if I can find somewhere to put it near Farnborough airport. For this reason, I will consider a swap for a cheap caravan and some cash or a motorhome (probably with no cash!).

The Volvo 480 is now back on the road and is easier to put the large miles on on a weekly basis. The BX will obviously do it, in fact I am amazed how many happy miles I've put on it. I'm sure you'd agree that its criminal to put 1000 miles/month on a near-perfect Mk. 1 BX.

I have wrestled with this decision, but this time I really mean it! I have satisfied myself with the promise that in the future I will get another Mk.1 or possibly an XM, CX or C6.

You can contact me on this forum, and I am happy to give out my number by PM for anyone who would like a chat about BX.

Tyre kickers welcome as I am un-employed until August 4th so have plenty of time to give if you want to come and take a look! I'm in Horningsea, Cambridge and would prefer cash on collection but would happily deliver if you'd like to discuss that option and pay my expences if you can promise this BX a good home.

Mileage has just today ticked over to 98,000 miles; Tax is until end of August 2014 and I will sell it with 12-months MOT on it.

£1500 o.n.o

Here's a link to loads of recent pictures:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jamesca ... For%20Sale
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Mk.1, 1984 Citroen BX 14E

Post by Kitch »

Don't suppose you have any of the original interior left? :D
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Yes mate, I saved the passenger seat so someone could swap it to their knackered drivers' seat. Do you need it? Posted about it a while back.
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

If it's the same as the mk1 TRS I just bought then yes, I would actually let out a yelp of excitement if you had a spare :lol:

jamescarruthers
BXpert

Have a look at this link to see the grey cloth I had. I had heard that the Mk. 1 E model had unique trim so you might be unlucky. If it is the correct type for your car, you are welcome to it and my spare seat foam. It's just taking up space in the boot.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19246

Alternatively, I know Rob Moss at the Chevronic Centre has acquired some early BX material recently. It might possibly be what you are looking for.
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

That's kind mate, thanks. It looks the same, though very slightly more zig-zag patterned than mine. I'll still have it off you, as it'll look better than what's in it (the driver's base is totally wrecked!)

jamescarruthers
BXpert

I notice you are in Fareham, Hampshire. Isn't that near Farnborough? I'll be going down there this week if you want to meet?
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Think I've confused Fareham and Farnham... You're nowhere near Farnborough! Happy to post seat cover to you instead
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

If you get really stuck, I am quite near Farnborough and could store it, til Kitch can get up this way. I would think Farnborough is about 14 miles from me, though I am to the south of it.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

jamescarruthers wrote:I notice you are in Fareham, Hampshire. Isn't that near Farnborough? I'll be going down there this week if you want to meet?
That's Farnham you're thinking of, but yeah it's not a million miles away so I could meet up. Good excuse to go and stretch the 16v's legs over the Meon valley :)

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Don't forget to pick up some watercress....all that extra iron will be good for it. :wink:
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Okay, well how does any day this week sound to you? I need to research places to stay, cheaply so I'm doing research today and travelling down later in the week. I was thinking tomorrow but that's just because I'm impatient!

Maybe a BX mini-Farnborough meet with Tinkley too?
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

jamescarruthers wrote:Okay, well how does any day this week sound to you? I need to research places to stay, cheaply so I'm doing research today and travelling down later in the week. I was thinking tomorrow but that's just because I'm impatient!

Maybe a BX mini-Farnborough meet with Tinkley too?
Will need to check with the missus, but then we've only got a few days left this week! Otherwise how is early next week?

jeremyC5
BXpert

Post by jeremyC5 »

You two have got off the subject of this lovely BX Mk1 !! :)

I have seen it near Cambridge, and it glistens with "redness", I think James has been rubbing something secret into the paint to make it so glossy :o :shock:
C5 x 1
Ford 100E - Red x 2
Herald 12/50 x 1
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Why are you selling it after all the hard work? :(
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....