The Fleet blog and Mollie's restoration at Chevronics.

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: The Fleet blog

Post by Tim Leech »

I think for originilaity I would keep the C matic, as most of the later GSA's Ive seen are all manual.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Just catching up on this lot - the blue BX in the pics from last week looks good - similar colour to my 4x4!

I'll second Tim's comments, with the rider that I wouldn't have a C matic as an only car. Although more plentiful, the 5 speed boxes aren't without their problems, apparently being more prone to bearing wear and syncro problems than the earlier 4 speed boxes. The only down side to driving a C matic that I can think of is that they are apparently heavier on fuel, but it all depends on the mileage you expect to do with it I suppose.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the info on the GSA Mike, think i will keep the original C-Matic box, best to keep her original i feel.

On another tack, dont know what i have done to the TZD Estate? OK, i have replaced all the leak off pipes this year along with the fuel filter. Put in a lot more clean fuel, added some Millers and a bug killer and recently changed the oil.Also added a new alternator[thanks Malcolm] and had the offside brake pipe[curly bit] replaced as it had split and leaked green blood all over the place. This, with the recon Speedlines and a new centre cap from Jay [ta Jay] has made her into a pretty good motor at some expense.
The oil change was simple, as it usually is but not the filter change. Whilst undoing the cannister from the underneath, the whole stub to which its attached which holds the oil cooler to the block started to unwind, covering me with oil!! Bugger, i say to myself, what have i done now and is this a potential major disaster?? After cleaning up the mess, a panic call to the maestro Malcolm who informed it wasnt that bad and clean it all up making sure the rubber ring which had fallen out was ok. This in fact was a bit ragged and after putting the cannister into a vice to remove the threaded tube and cleaning it all, i managed to find the one and only socket i had to retighten the oil coller back to the block, hoping the ring would be ok. Cannister screwed on ok and topped up with oil.
Low and behold, the permanent oil leak which i have had for the last 18 months and was fixed and the sump is now very clean and dry. Great when a potential disaster leads to a good fix.
Took the TZD down to Cornwall last week, drove her there and back as hard as she should be driven, used a smidgen of oil, but best of all, used the least amount of fuel both there and back i have ever done in a BX. Certainly did not spare the horses either. She did have a bit of a hissy fit whilst pulling into the driveway of a property i was viewing near Liskeard as a leakoff pipe split, diesel everywhere but as i had spare pipe, fixed in a couple of minutes. All in all going so much better than she was in February.
Next bit of news is that the TGS Estate is going off for a replacement head gasket later today plus any ancillary work needed. Guess that will hurt the wallet.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Rob Moss has just informed me that Mollie, my 1985 BX19RD has had her engine removed and that the body shell is pretty much rust fre which is good. I have bought a low mileage Mk 2 diesel engine for her which will be fitted as needed. Some body panels are also being removed.
Cant wait.
Mothman

Re: The Fleet blog and Mollies restoration at Chevronics.

Post by Mothman »

Work has now started on Mollie. Engine is now out. Front end looks pretty good for a 29 year old motor. Not bad for a motor that was given to me!!

The underside looks amazing now that the rear subframe has been removed.

Rear subframe removed for cleaning.

All the bits from the rear end now off.

Front subframe now being removed, all the bits will go away to be sand blasted and powder coated and the first welding will start on Elsie the GSA in the next day or so.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Wow! thats solid.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Don't get the subframes powdercoated Andy, it'll just all flake off again in a few years as there are so many rough edges on them. Go with POR15 or something. Or if you do go powdercoat, at least get it thermally zinc sprayed first.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the info Kitch, ile chat with Rob.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I'd be more tempted to use a marine quality 2 pack epoxy paint. These are suitable for steel and aluminium substrates. If they keep the sea at bay, then that is much harsher than most roads, even with winter gritting.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

A few more pictures, the work continues.

Mothman

Post by Mothman »

And the TZD has a fully working rev counter WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Shes a solid old bus.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Yep, it looks good, and those arch repairs look nice and straight forward too.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Tim, look at those leather seats you sold me which will be in Mollie!!

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

They look great! whos is the white estate?