BX 14E oil leak

BX Tech talk
speedingfine

BX 14E oil leak

Post by speedingfine »

Hi folks

Been very happy with my BX bought on a whim from eBay, but for one problem, an oil leak that at the moment is still relatively minor. Having finally cleaned it up and had it on a friends ramps, we're still non the wiser as to where the oil's coming from! It's looking like it should be the rocker cover, but there doesn't appear to be anywhere near enough coming from there to cause the amount that comes out when run up to temperature. Obviously I'm thinking the last guy quit before the rear main seal really started to leak ;) But do you guys have any other common areas we should be looking?

Thanks for any help.

Chris.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Re: BX 14E oil leak

Post by citsncycles »

Which engine has your 14E got. Don't know much about the early suitcase engine but I gather the TU can leak oil from both the rocker and the head gasket.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
speedingfine

Post by speedingfine »

TU... Can't really see the back of the engine well, so some work in the garage to try and see is looking likely!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Head gasket, rocker gasket, front and rear main seals, and sump. That's all they can really leak from!

The head gaskets sometimes fail because the manifold/downpipe joint is blowing and it eats the gasket from the outside in. Don't usually leak around the back as much though.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

on the TU's if the oil is running down the forward face of the block and next to the cam cover, and non showing down the head face between rocker cover and head joint, this is defiantly head gasket failure,

the head oil feed is right at this corner of the head, theres a triangular section of gasket for sealing the oil way, this section comes un/bonded from the main gasket and allows the pressurised oil to leak out and down the front of the block,

they dont often leak oil at the back of the engine,

the first thing o would check if this is the case is the cam cover gasket/seal

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

150c engines/box shared the same sump didnt they? Crankcase to bellhousing gasket? Mine also leaked from the back of the rocker cover as the sloping engine always did.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability