XUD start/cutting out issues

BX Tech talk
patersom10
BXpert

XUD start/cutting out issues

Post by patersom10 »

where do I start...

My ZX is taking about 5/10min to start and is cutting out within 5 min of driving or when the revs drop. you can sit revving it for 5 min will still cut out. once hot will start easier although still cuts out when driving for the first 10-15 min.

Have been running 50/50 veg mix all summer, give or take. sometimes when its been a hot week near to 100% veg. doing 500ish miles a week no problems. as I did last summer in my TGD. one cold morning last week wouldn't start so filled it with diesel and changed fuel filter. started and ran eventually but cuts out.

any ideas, pump failing? its the bocsh one. could I be getting air in somewhere? glow plugs shot?

luckily having my xsara has not left me without a car put prefer the ZX, all advise welcomed... [-o<
93 ZX Volcane TD
03 Xsara VTR - HDI (remapped to 140bhp)

92 BX 16v phase 2 - now sold
93 BX 17TGD - now sold
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: XUD start/cutting out issues

Post by Kitch »

Air in the fuel.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
themildbunch
BXpert

Post by themildbunch »

Sounds like air somewhere...

Unless the pump's had new seals they'll all be getting old now and probably stressed from the action of different fuels over time. I have an old Audi which weeped from the pump head seal - running on bio diesel stopped this leak for a couple of years, until the other seals gave out - has done nearly 300,000 though.

I found when air was getting in before the pump the revs would increase as the pump tried to compensate (this was a Lucas though) - On my n/a Bosch BX when the pump's driveshaft seal started letting in air it would drive OK after a hard start, but after idling for 5 mins + would slowly die... This suddenly got much worse recently with a noticeable leak all over the cambelt and almost impossible to drive unless you keep the revs up and don't stop!

Worth plumbing in some clear line between filter and pump to help diagnose... If it's the pump you may get no bubbles when running but a big stream when you stop - if it's before the pump you'll get a stream of bubbles when running.
1988 BX 19 Gti 16v
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
1991 BX 17 TZD Estate
patersom10
BXpert

Post by patersom10 »

Bled system again now running well, maybe an air pocket missed last time.

Will see how it is at 5am Monday morning when it's cold ! Thanks for the advise.
93 ZX Volcane TD

93 BX 17TGD - now sold
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Could be a build up of crud from the veg. Check the fuel filter and the bottom of the fuel tank by removing the fuel gauge sender.

Could be air: check where the fuel pipes take a 90° bend around the back of the rear passenger footwell and the rubber bulb priming thingy.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
patersom10
BXpert

Post by patersom10 »

problem not solved, have ordered new primer bulb with non return valve. so hopefully that will work, cant see an actual leak anywhere.

have done around 300 miles with a bottle of redex in half a tank so hopefully that should blast the crud out.
93 ZX Volcane TD

93 BX 17TGD - now sold
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Check the fuel filter housing isn't letting in air anywhere.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Look at your leak off pipes, if one of them is split, that will cause air leaks. An easy fix.

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Mothman wrote:Look at your leak off pipes, if one of them is split, that will cause air leaks. An easy fix.

Andy

Not so, leak off pipes are on the return and just cause a fuel leak and not air in the pressurised feed.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Ok. i had a similar problem. Found a dirty great split in a leak off pipe, changed it. Problem gone. What was that then?

Andy
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Defender110 wrote:
Mothman wrote:Look at your leak off pipes, if one of them is split, that will cause air leaks. An easy fix.

Andy

Not so, leak off pipes are on the return and just cause a fuel leak and not air in the pressurised feed.
apparently the Bosch pump dose not like split leak off pipes, but the Lucas pump runs fine, just makes a mess

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'll second that, but I can't explain why! I've had a return line split on the (Bosch pumped) van, and it wouldn't even start as it had lost the ability to draw fuel up from the tank. Yet when I had one fail on the BX when it has the Lucas equipped engine, there were no running issues, just a very dieselly smell which alerted me to it!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I'd second the filter housing suggestion - the one on Timex has just failed!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!