Torx T27 - Removing and destroying

BX Tech talk
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Torx T27 - Removing and destroying

Post by Slagtrooper »

It was only with me or the T27's of the Autobox pan (or other places with these bolts or even torxes of different measures?) are easily torn by the torx sockets/spanners? Almost all bolts got destroyed, getting round inside. How you managed to remove it, without welding machine?
Citroën BX GTi 1993
. XU9JAZ engine, ZF 4HP14 Automatic gearbox
. Leather Seats, Air Conditioner, electric mirrors, windows and sunroof
. "16V type" Speedline Rims, "Ducktail" spoiler and rear vents
ORGA 5219 (February 22, 1991) - Made in Uruguay

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Re: Torx T27 - Removing and destroying

Post by jamescarruthers »

Its not perfect as some fasteners are beyond saving but have you tried:

EZGrip
Or Screw Grab

Best to use first before you round the heads off. Its like magic in a bottle when it does work!

I'd replace the bolts when you re-assemble if you can; maybe with hex-head ones.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Bolts need replacing for sure. Sadly i bought a T27 socket for using with 1/2 handle or ratchet only for doing that :?
But if the torx ones become pricey than hex, changing it will be my option. And a good one - Will become the autobox pan easier to service.

I can't find equivalent thing like that friction promoter you said, James, it's incredible how you have tools for all kind of things. If i can find one of these in Brazil, they could have a different name/brand. I will try first that "rubber band" trick for removing it. Reading about torning apart the torx bolts, found that it isn't a rare issue.
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Hot steamy night alone, I wait for you ? Cold brittle morning alone and I cry for you ? And when you finally call ? You cloak your moves in the shadows ???
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Generally torx are superior and less likely to become rounded than Allen(hex). On many bolts/nuts on the BX it is a wise move to apply a liberal coating of penetating oil prior to attempting to undo them, as you have to remember that many have beenin place for over 20 years now. :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
jamescarruthers
BXpert

I see you are in Brazil. The products are both American so hopefully you could have them posted cheaply, at least its the same continent!

Try aviation tool suppliers on-line in the USA maybe. I have heard of The Yard and Sky Geek over there.
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Way2go wrote:Generally torx are superior and less likely to become rounded than Allen(hex). On many bolts/nuts on the BX it is a wise move to apply a liberal coating of penetating oil prior to attempting to undo them, as you have to remember that many have beenin place for over 20 years now. :)

Yes, you are right, allen key type are even worse. I meant replace with regular hex headed bolts (unless there is some particular reason why you need to an internally driven fastener in this application).
1987 Volvo 480 ES

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I have to disagree - slightly. More important is the quality of the steel and roll forging of the fasterner itself and the tolerance of the drive (head). Good quality tools also help, like Bahco etc socket sets and good German Allen keys. The Torx were introduced primarily to stop people 'DIY' along with a load of other tamperproof fasteners. In fact when they introduced them you had to prove you were a 'Competent Person' ie trade mechanic etc for example to even buy a Torx set of drivers.

It was one of the little changes on the Solex carb between my 88 14RE and these 91 1.6s'. Guess they did not want 'amateurs' fiddling with the auto box eh? The manual BE3 box on the 1.6 is still held on by 4 Allens so that seems OK and mine came off just fine, last year.

Solution is whatever the head fastener type, buy quality steel 8.8 HTS grade most likely, with good plating. Always check the material designation, there may be a few 10.9 or 12.9 grade bolts/fasteners around on the BX - I don't know. Should be stamped on the head, Hex or Allen for sure. The non structural can be subbed with A2 stainless (304) or if you really want anti corrossion A4 (316) but they are harder to find and pretty dear.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

I've found that using a T30 Torx big on a T27 allows for greater purchase.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

Living and learning - Never thought that metal grades of fasteners and drives are heavily affected with it's characteristics...

I admit that i used a low quality wrench (Only "respected" its size, T27) and noticed that in some heads it fit a little loose and in others, a little tight.

Last thursday came home one of these that i ordered from a net store:

I prefer working with sockets than wrenches, but was anxious and used the damn chinese tool. :(
Citroën BX GTi 1993

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Way2go wrote:Generally torx are superior and less likely to become rounded
As this /\ . I find them much better and have only ever rounded one when I was actually using the wrong size by mistake. Some of the sizes are very close and will drive with the next down, when using the correct size it is more normal for the bit to break than the fastener to round.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

So, about what kind of bolts i could use in the pan (after removing all the old ones), the best is sticking with the torx heads, check?

I will try to do the rubber band trick, but i'm a little skeptic about it...
Citroën BX GTi 1993

mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I'd probably stick with Torx or same strength external hex bolts, as at least they are generally easier to remove if rounded off. It may help in future to give the tool a sharp tap with a hammer once it is position in the fastener. This will both ensure it is fully seated, and also help to break any bond with what it's screwed into.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Slagtrooper
BXpert

Post by Slagtrooper »

My answer to remove them:

"Special bolt remover tools".

And obviously, change the bolts for hex heads or even something like this:

Citroën BX GTi 1993

Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

I do not rate Torx and their chums. It is often a case of obstruction and minimum strength for the job. All part of the just in time, just strong enough world we are told to accept. Thus they fail to work once passed a certain level of performance. The sort of thing I routinely replace in passing for better fastners on doing a job, if I am keeping a car.
Nice bit of quality steel on a fastener is the only sure answer. Case in point, those bloody useless Chinese self tappers that shear of half way in. What is the point in even making them? To frustrate the west into submission? Well really self tappers are a crap fastener in themselves, for longevity, and a proper engineer would normally be avoiding them. Its all a question of degree of crapness. Take the latest kettle I was given. In two weeks the boiling water has melted the plastic fastener that holds the lid shut. So this energy saving design now uses more energy than the old kettle, as it has no functioning lid. A brilliant bit of modern engineering..... We are all going to die if this keeps up, you know.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Having designed a few kettles, toasters, and other catering kit, commercial and domestic, I can relate well to your post TB. I can assure you that before making things like plastic handles for S/S bodies we got a sheet of 30mm thick similar type polymer (to that intended) and with bandsaw, router and assorted hand tools fabricated intended design and cycled many many times. Whole load of issues could have arisen, but fortunately none did. Never had melt down, fasteners stayed tight, hand did not easily get too hot/burnt etc etc.

Tested a load of toasters once too, all 2 slot ones. We decided 10 cycles at full length with no toast in would sort the better designs - and we were right, about 50% started to melt their plastic housings or show other wear signs. All were brand new CE marked etc - really gives you confidence...... :wink:

Good design may cost a little more but a good product does it's job and is hardly noticed. Hand in hand with good engineering and ergonomics (physical and GUIs'), it is a shame too much 'stuff' is purely driven by price which is ultimately more expensive as it so often fails!.

Agreed with quality fasteners and tools, check and double check. Case in point - Chinese needle files over Swiss ones - no contest. The Torx design is not in itself bad, as per my earlier post it was intended partly to stop 'amateurs' ie not qualified monkeys from fiddling with things. However if you make a good design with poor quality material the result lets down the basic geometry, which in this case is actually pretty sound, although I prefer good Allen heads even if this seems irrational. I'm sure those who owned Japanese M/cycles in the 70s' loved the Pozi drive heads on the crankcases whereas the Italians fitted quality Allen head bolts!.