8v GTi - Has started Smokin'

BX Tech talk
Enda

Post by Enda »

Hi all, I started driving the GTi again last month and it's great to be back in it. Only problem is that it recently started smoking when the engine has heated up. I am thinking that it is the stem seals and/or piston rings. I'm planning to bring it to my local garage towards the end of the month and get it checked out but I know that the replacement seals and rings from them would be mad money. Do you have any recommended products I could get them to order, if needed, ie. Replacement stem seals and piston rings? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: 8v GTi - Has started Smokin'

Post by Tim Leech »

Its normally the valve stem seals....rare that the bottom end is an issue.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

/\ yep...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The problem with supplying parts yourself is what happens if they don't cure the problem? The garage could well put the blame on the bits you supply, and they may not offer a warranty. Worth speaking to them beforehand to see what they think.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

The stem seals can technically be done with only the rocker cover off, not that I've ever done one this way. But maybe worth checking the techs can do this as it would save disturbing the head and the extra cost. If you have to remove head, then gasket/bolts/other seals like exhaust collar etc would all need replacing.
Enda

Post by Enda »

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll see what the garage says and take it from there. I was asking for parts recommendations as one of the mechanics mentioned that seals cost €55 each!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I would certainly get a second opinion!

I'd reckon on £30 to £50 to a complete head gasket set, including all seals.
(Very quick search:) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-205-G ... 5b058e5645

It may be that the garage doesn't want the job, so they're pricing it as such that you don't go ahead with it. Maybe they're reluctant to have an older car in pieces and potentially taking up a bay for a while, if they think they may struggle to get bits part-way through the job?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
CitroenBaz
Confirmed BX'er

Post by CitroenBaz »

hi all , you can change oil valve stem oil seals in place, but you do have to remove the cam shaft, i used to change a lot of these in the eights & nineties , to do the job in place you will need to remove the spark plugs and put compressed air down the plug hole, to hold up the valves, then you need a bar bolted to the back of the head to hook on to , to use as a leaver point to push down on the valve spring, to remove the valve colets. then you carefully pull of the old valve seal. fit new valve seal ,& in the old Haynes manual saying fit in reverser order.hope this helps, barry, ps i will try & post some pics of the tool i use.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I once watched someone do valve stem seals by pushing nylon rope into the spark plug hole to fill the gap and hold the valves up. Ingenious, not tried this approach myself but sure it worked ok.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

I would surmise that if you did use either compressed air or pack with rope each cylinder would be at TDC so the valves can't drop far IF they were to fall down. So make sure of your cam timing marks..... :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the first and simplest thing to check and make sure is in good order and doing its job fully, would be the crank case breather system, as this gets a build up of carbon in any/all the rolled up wire gauze,
if you car has both of these fitted, one will be in the oil filler cap, the other which most people forget or dont even know exists, is in the filler neck, and in between the two parts of the of the filler neck ( yes i said the two parts ),

as the center can be pushed up and out of the top end, this will reveal a roll of gauce which you can remove the tin tack, unroll, clean and reassemble,

the other causes of breather blockage are the rubber filler neck collapsed/folding over on its self, or build up of goooo in any of the breather circuit,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

CitroenBaz wrote:hi all , you can change oil valve stem oil seals in place, but you do have to remove the cam shaft, i used to change a lot of these in the eights & nineties , to do the job in place you will need to remove the spark plugs and put compressed air down the plug hole, to hold up the valves, then you need a bar bolted to the back of the head to hook on to , to use as a leaver point to push down on the valve spring, to remove the valve colets. then you carefully pull of the old valve seal. fit new valve seal ,& in the old Haynes manual saying fit in reverser order.hope this helps, barry, ps i will try & post some pics of the tool i use.
yes this used to be a common practice in those days, we had a modified spark plug which we broke out all its innards, and welded and airline adapter to it,

for the valve spring compressing you could lift the cam and followers away, then fit the cam back in place to use with a suitable home made tool, which could leaver against the cam shaft

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Enda

Post by Enda »

Thanks again for the comments. I'm at a bit of a loss, though; no tools, shed, time and most importantly, no mechanical skills! This would mean having a garage do it and the costs would be too high. I'll keep driving it as it's the only car I have on the road at the moment. Its test is booked for the end of the month so I'll just put it through and see what they pick up.
Enda

Post by Enda »

I bought another car over the weekend and I'd like to see the GTi go to someone who can give it the TLC it needs. Is there anyone in Ireland interested in it, I wonder? It was registered in the UK and lived in Northern Ireland as well, so there shouldn't be any import/registration tax, if one was to bring it back to the UK. I dropped the price to €1300 but can talk on this, if needed. Thanks, Enda.