TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Tim Leech »

Mines rock solid chassis and body wise with good mechanicals and a nice interior, but the paints crappy , thanks too a cheap Respray which me being me is an issue, if I do end up running a daily driver it won't be a BX but may be a Citroen as that's what I ran when I had my own car, quite fancy a Saxo diesel or maybe a ZX!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

They would be pretty good (Saxo/Zx) with the ZX having great handling. The newer (than ZX) C2 is actually pretty good too, for a small car btw and very economic on diesel say 70+ mpg. It rides like a much longer car, very different from the C1 (Aygo) or heavy C3.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

If I go to a daily dieseler I want something without lots of ecu's, never liked the C2/3 but have owned a Saxo and a ZX previously and enjoyed them.

I would consider a Xsara Coupe turbo diesel also.

Minors going 30th December to the isle of Wight and he's driving it home!!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

You sold the Minor bud?

Andy
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes Andy, 500 miles in 18 month, Michael's not a fan and to be honest I could use the space/money. The paints poor and I can't justify spending £2000 to get it sorted.

I've scratched my itch and enjoyed it be need to be practical.

If I do end up changing careers with less hours I may get a pay cut so some things will have to go, but if it means I don't work stupid hours/weekends and all the bank holidays it may be worth it.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well, at least you kept it alive in your ownership. Changing careers too? Well, i hope it works for you. I left a big financial institution some 20 years ago, one of my better decisions in life but ime glad of the 20 year pension that it will bring soon.
Good luck bud.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers Andy, as a single younger man it didn't bother me as work was my life, but now I'm older and have other peoples feelings to consider who would like to have be at home more often!.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Tim, sent you an email of a good ZX option?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks Phil, I haven't chosen my own daily since 1999 so it may be fun. Looking at the Saxo apparently the 1.1 is just as frugal and much more nippy.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Well, good luck to you Tim. There is nothing worse than employers who are constantly screwing you to achieve targets all the time, do the month in week 1 but are on your back cos you do bugger all in week 2. Take time to choose what you want to do, i did and really got it right. Dont rush into anything, including buying a motor, after all for now, you can use one of your fleet, they wont hurt for a while.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Tim Leech wrote:
Minors going 30th December to the isle of white and he's driving it home!!
Must have snowed without me noticing.... :lol: last time I looked, and from Kitch's place it was Wight... :roll:

The salt air will do wonders for it there too.......
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

It's an old boy that's bought it (I was stunned too
Lol) who doesn't use Paypal or a mobile phone, let's hope he shows with the cash.

I'm deliberately not trailing eBay too much so I don't spend the money in my head already!
Gary
BXpert

Post by Gary »

Some people don't like the Saxo mainly due to the offset pedals but I personally don't mind them.
As you have said the 1.1 is quite nippy and you can pick up a clean car for not a lot of money.
We have 3 saxo's in the family and all have been reliable cars.
My daughter has covered 60k in 5 years in her Saxo it now has 80 k on the clock and no major issues .
I pick up this one last year for the daughters boyfriend , a one owner car with 30 k on the clock for £300
Not everyone's colour but I liked it

The daughters Saxo with VTR wheels
1992 BX GTi Hurricane x2
1991 BX Meteor 1.9d
1993 BX TXD Turbo, Ice blue
1987 Visa GTi
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice looking cars Gary, I had 1.1i Desire brand new in 1997, did 25000 miles in 2 years and never spent a penny on it asides two services, I also remember it would happily do 100mph all day if you wanted.
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Well I found the AX (early one) much too tight on the pedals. I have very wide ie G or H size tens and the left hand side of the BX footwell is perfect for space. Something a lot of cars seem to have forgotten and I've lost count of the number where I 'hook' my toes into the back of the lower fascia trim panel..... :lol:
TBH I don't even find the 'angled rests' much cop either, they should be an option, just let me wave the tootsies in some space.

Minor did another naughty - the fan belt snapped, wondered why there was no heating, then realised it drives the water pump!. Still got a 'new' spare, of course it slips even on full tightness adjustment but then you need about ten sizes to get the right one to fit.... :wink:
Odd thing is, no cracks in rubber and no warning except the dash/instrument light. No chance of overheating either (in three and a half miles) and fortunately had the tools in the boot.