TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Tim Leech »

http://ww2.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/32574044 ... 1095103680

The car was in good shape, however it will need a driveshaft/wishbone and maybe a subframe?

Also the steering was im told getting very sticky

The wheels and bumpers must be worth having plus the mirrors?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hmm, the Xantia clutch seems to be juddering more than it did, only when pulling away in first and fine when moving, its not light but not too heavy, its done 150k (as of this week) and has a whacking great tow bar on so I imagine its at least had one so may be due another soon, which is a bit of an arse, but I quite fancy a period caravan in the future and this would be a good tow car.

Are they same gearbox as a BX? I cant tell as there so may pipes and wires in the way.

I wish the weather would improve as the GT is taxed and hasn't turned a wheel since Christmas!
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

I took the 406 V6 out for a spin yesterday in the sun , loved it 8). It's back tucked away in the garage now.

Mark
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-SD1-3-5 ... 1573335443

this made me rather excited!
I had no idea such a thing existed!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Hi Chris

yes that is the genuine article, and a great example of 70's lack of taste, of course I love it! (I have the original brochure somewhere)
When Austin Rover brought out the EFi Vitesse in 1983 with 190bhp it filled the gap for a "hot" SD1 so aftermarket performance models died a death.....although I imagine that's a lot more fun.

I think it had something like 200bhp but the torque would be hilarious, if the rear axle and gearbox hadn't been upgraded they wouldn't last long!! It would go sideways a lot too unless a LSD was fitted.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I soooooo nearly bid on it, it looks awesome! Common sense prevailed, but it stirred me in ways nothing has since the Bristol Fighter T came out!
Hope things are going well for you dude
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

docchevron wrote:I soooooo nearly bid on it, it looks awesome! Common sense prevailed, but it stirred me in ways nothing has since the Bristol Fighter T came out!
I worked with the guy who did the major shaping and designing of the Bristol Fighter, and saw him making the clay model a few years back. My dad used to sell Bristols from the Kensington showroom even more years ago! I still have an all aluminium one tenth scale Bristol design study (model), all painted in Bristol red etc I think of the 405 model. Very deceptive cars, the 603 etc you think you are going much slower til you look at the speedo.... :wink:
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

docchevron wrote:I soooooo nearly bid on it, it looks awesome! Common sense prevailed, but it stirred me in ways nothing has since the Bristol Fighter T came out!

yes life is good thanks Chris, works busy, Michael and I are both happier than either of us thought we could be and for the first time in a long time I have no debts of any kind what so ever!

We are looking forward to the better weather so I can get on with fixing up the Xantia and using the others a bit this year for work now I don't have to use a company wagon.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Tim Leech wrote:Hi Chris

yes that is the genuine article, and a great example of 70's lack of taste, of course I love it! (I have the original brochure somewhere)
When Austin Rover brought out the EFi Vitesse in 1983 with 190bhp it filled the gap for a "hot" SD1 so aftermarket performance models died a death.....although I imagine that's a lot more fun.

I think it had something like 200bhp but the torque would be hilarious, if the rear axle and gearbox hadn't been upgraded they wouldn't last long!! It would go sideways a lot too unless a LSD was fitted.
It'd go sideways more if an LSD was fitted :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

600 miles out of the first full tank of diesel in the turbo D averages at over 45mpg, which considering it's mostly town driving and stop start is impressive!

It's looking very likely thought the dash have to come out to allow some of the dash bulbs to be replaced as they are getting more and more resistant to a thump of the dash before the give light, which is a complete pita!!!
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Tim Leech wrote:
It's looking very likely thought the dash have to come out to allow some of the dash bulbs to be replaced as they are getting more and more resistant to a thump of the dash before the give light, which is a complete pita!!!

Yes, I only traveled round the corner in it and the constant banging on the dashboard to get the speedo to illuminate was a bit tiring. :)
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

In which case you can check the state of the heater matrix..... :lol:

Probably the cause of most Xantias being scrapped, part cheap, labour not so at around 8 to 9 hours...
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I've had one go before, it's been maintained properly with antifreeze changes but still fear it may let go, if it does then I will cross that bridge!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I spoke too soon, the dreaded Xantia clutch clip failed on the way to work Thursday and I had to be recovered home by the rac, it's a silly design, a piece of cheap plastic connecting the pedal and the cable!

The new parts arrived but I ran out of patience with it, after the third attempt to get the cable to locate in the new clip.

In other news the storage I have been renting for 7 years is closing to reopen as a turkey farm, which is a blow, but I have located somewhere else 5 miles away which isn't as posh but is £280 a year cheaper and they have plenty of space!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

All mended, what a complete faff! lots of swearing, skinned knuckles etc, a really stupid design, one small piece of thin plastic.... it took ALL Day and is such a fiddly job, off to Barry's tomorrow to get some rear spheres fitted and say goodbye to Bourne Citroen as it is being redeveloped for housing. Thankfully he has found some new premises not too far away as we need people like him!